• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Valenar Elves (Eberron)

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
In my upcoming Eberron campaign, I'd like to have the warlike Valenar elves be slightly mechanically different from the standard, citified Khorvairan elves. I've got maybe one or two ideas that I think could work, but I'm not quite sure, and I wonder what you all can suggest.

Since the two groups haven't been separated all that long, especially in terms of elven generations, I don't want to change physical qualities stats. They should just have different cultural training, representing their completely different upbringings. So, I'm thinking I'll remove the normal elf's racial weapon proficiencies, and give the Valenar a free Mounted Combat feat instead.

Now I know that's no disadvantage at all for any warrior-type. They get every MWP from character class, so they don't care whether or not they get a few redundant ones from race. The effect would be that a Valenar fighter is better at horseback combat than any other fighter of equal level. The flavor of that seems to fit the gameworld. In terms of PC balance it's a free power boost, but one that's not large enough to bother me, since a PC who specializes in the mounted feat chains is restricting himself pretty heavily anyhow.

On the other side of the coin, the change seems to actually weaken the race for non-warriors. A rogue or cleric PC might actually have put those racial MWP to use, and Mounted Combat won't be useful as often. But again it's a small balance change, and the more I think about the flavor, the more I come to feel that it fits. A Valenar scout or spellcaster wouldn't necessarily worry about learning martial weapons-- he has lots of cavalry friends to take care of that stuff-- but he would certainly be a skilled rider, because without a horse he couldn't keep up with the warband at all.

What do you all think of this change? If you don't like it, can you suggest another alteration that would make sense for Valenar elves? (Please try to avoid moving the stat bonus. I don't want to be responsible for yet another "+2 to the stat of your choice / -2 Con" flavor-of-the-month elf subrace.)

green slime

First Post
I disagree with your analysis of the situation/consequences of your adjustments.

I do find it flavourful.

Giving Valenar Elves free Mounted Combat feat instead of racial weapons does not mean that a Valenar fighter will be better at mounted combat than any fighter of equal level. In order to do that, you would have to grant a further bonus, beyond a mere feat. A feat which the human fighter could well choose. A granted racial bonus, is much harder to acquire.

Secondly, I find that replacing two Martial weapon proficiencies for weapons that are present in every game (longsword + long bow) with one feat, that, in most games, seldomly sees much use, to be needlessly nerfing the valenar.

As I'm at work and afmb (and no expert on Eberron), I'll refrain from making a poor suggestion based on misremembered details of the Valenar at the present time.

Laman Stahros

First Post
Do you have Races of Eberron? It gives Valenar elves proficiency with the shortbow, scimitar, and Valenar double scimitar instead of the normal elf weapon proficiencies.

Falchieyan

First Post
I've used the Races of Eberron replacement for weapon proficiencies for my Valenar elf. You might also want to consider some of the racial variant features for a "desert" elf: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertElves

As you plan on ignoring the stat adjustments, the bonuses to ride and handle animal--at the expense of Listen--should help with what you are considering. That is, a human fighter with max ranks in Ride will not equal a Valenar elf with max ranks in Ride if that bonus does apply. Also possibly consider changing favored class from Wizard to Ranger or Scout, as most information that I've read on the Valenar depict them as ranger-centric warriors.

Terraism

Explorer
Falchieyan said:
Also possibly consider changing favored class from Wizard to Ranger or Scout, as most information that I've read on the Valenar depict them as ranger-centric warriors.

Ranger-centric, yes, but they also have a long history of magic - even the Valenar. The strive to emulate their ancestors, who mixed spells into their arsenal. As such, having favoured class: wizard doesn't necessarily mean that they tend to focus on wizard levels, but it makes it far easier for them to toss in a few to whatever else they're doing without suffering XP penalties.

As far as changes to the Valenar, I'd go with the alternative proficiencies suggested in Races of Eberron, and adding a +2 bonus to Ride checks (whether you add it flat-out or remove another benefit, such as Search, is your call.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads