• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Value for money? How long does it take you to play through published adventures?

Truename

First Post
Age of Worms and WotBS both took about 18 months of 3-4 hours per week. On Kingmaker #1 we've spent a month on the first adventure but I don't know how far though it we are.

My group is finishing WotBS 4e this month. (Like, literally. Our last session ended in middle of the last fight. We have one session to go.)

Including the last session, we will have played 108 sessions, or about 324 hours. (Two non-stop weeks!) We started playing August 2010, so that's a solid three and half years of entertainment.

Damn good value. :D

(Incidentally, I'm pretty stoked about finishing my first full-30-level campaign EVER. :eek:)

Rootuser

First Post
Been a DM for probably about 30 years now, and it's all over the map for my groups.

When we were young and could put in 10-12 hour gaming sessions straight, it seemed we would get through a lot more in a shorter period of time. I think it had to do with a combination of less distractions (no cell phones, no wives, no kids etc.) and we played fast and loose with the rules. No miniatures, no long drawn out combat mechanics of the 3.5-4ed rules, and so on.

These days, it seems maybe we get through a standard commercial module in 20-24 hours or so (3 sessions or so).

Some of the larger dungeon crawls, with a lot of combat, can take a lot longer. Recently ran an old-school AD&D module that took 40+ hours. Really depends for my group.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
When I was running the playtest for the Rite Publishing Curse of the Golden Spear trilogy of modules for the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG), it took about 6 to 8 sessions of 4 hour play each session as weekly games, so all 3 modules took about 6 months. I don't use the APs so I can't rate those.

the Jester

Legend
It really depends. I've run some shorter adventures (especially from Dungeon, e.g. Box of Flumph) in an evening; others, like the Gates of Firestorm Peak, take months and months to play out. I think earlier edition games had longer adventures because they assumed a lot more fights before leveling up occurred.

Remove ads