{Vampire: The Masquerade - OOC} New York by Night

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Kitana ->

Humans are easy. I'll walk you through it.

Step 1

Name
Nature
Demeanor
Residence
Concept

Most of these are self explanatory. Nature and Demeanor functions just like it does for vampires.

Nature & Demeanor

These are one word descriptions of your character. Nature is a description of how your character really is deep down. Demeanor is what he/she shows to the world. (His/her “front” so to speak.)

Examples of either include:

Archtect: You are unhappy unless you are creating someting of lasting value.
Bon Vivant: Life is meaningless, so enjoy it as long as it lasts.
Bravo: You are something of a bully; you like to be feared.
Caregiver: Many need your love and protection, and you need them to need you.
Child: You never really grew up, and you want someone to take care of you.
Conformist: A follower at heart, you find it easy to adapt, adjust and comply.
Conniver: There's always an easier way--which usually involves someone else doing your work.
Curmudgeon: You are a real sourpuss and cynic of the Nth degree.
Deviant: You're just not like everyone else.
Director: You hate chaos and are forever taking charge to set things right.
Fantic: You have a cause and it gives your life meaning.
Gallant: You are as flamboyant as you are amoral.
Jester: Always the clown, you can't take life, or death, seriously.
Judge: You seek justice and reconciliation.
Loner: You are forever alone, even in a crowd.
Martyr: You need to be needed, and enjoy being morally superior.
Rebel: No need for a cause; you rebel out of habit and passion.
Survivor: You struggle to survive, no matter what the odds.
Traditionalist: You prefer hte orthodox and conservative ways.
Visionary: Wisdom is your quest, insight your key.

Example: Your character could show the world that he/she is a Rebel, but at heart, he/she is really a sort of Loner (Demeanor: Rebel, Nature: Loner) or he/she could really be a Rebel at heart and have Rebel as both his/her Nature and Demeanor be Rebel.

Concept

What does your character do? This is usually no more than a one or two word description.

Step 2

Attributes

You get one free dot in all Attributes. To determine your attribute scores, you must determine whether or not a category is Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. Your Primary has 6 dots to spread around, your Secondary has 4, and your Tertiary has 3.

Example: Markus is a very persuasive character, he is also very intelligent, but not very physical. He spreads 6 dots among Charisma, Manipulation, and Appearance. Markus' player decides that one of the reasons that Markus is such a social butterfly is because he is very attractive. So, with his six dots, he puts 3 in Appearence, then 2 in Charisma and the final point (dot) in Manipulation. So with his free points, he ends up with a Charisma with 3 dots, a Manipulation of 2 dots, and 4 dots in Appearence. Next he spreads 4 dots among the Mental category, then 3 among the Physical.

Physical
Strength
Dexterity
Stamina

Social
Charisma
Manipulation
Appearance

Mental
Perception
Intelligence
Wits

Abilities

You DO NOT get one free dot in all Abilities. To determine your Ability scores, like Attributes, you must determine whether or not a category is Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. Your Primary has 11 dots to spread around, your Secondary has 7, and your Tertiary has 4. This process is exactly like how Attributes are handled. No ability can begin with more than 3 dots.

Talents
Alertness
Athletics
Brawl
Dodge
Empathy
Expression
Intimidation
Leadership
Streetwise
Subterfuge

Skills
Animal Ken
Crafts
Drive
Etiquette
Firearms
Melee
Performance
Security
Stealth
Survival

Knowledges
Academics
Computer
Finance
Investigation
Law
Linguistics
Medicine
Occult
Politics
Science

Step 3

Virtues

You begin with one dot in all three Virtues. You then have 7 dots to spread among them however you wish.

Conscience – This determines how your actions effect your Humanity.
Self-Control – This is what you use to resist a panic or frenzy if you are a vampire.
Courage – This is used to determine how your character reacts to danger. Specifically when dealing with fire and sunlight if you are a vampire.

Humanity

This score is determined by adding your Conscience and Self-Control scores. This is a 1-10 scale rating that determines how human you are. It determine how well you stick to your morals. this isn't too critical to a human, but is very important to vampires. The lower your score, the more cold and emotionless you are. Characters with low scores are more likely fly into a rage and loose control. Vampires with low scores look less human than vampires with higher Humanity ratings.

Willpower

This permanent score begins as the same as your Courage score. Willpower works pretty much like a Will save in D&D. Willpower functions in two ways.

Permanent Willpower: This score determines how much Willpower Points you can have. Very few things can cost you to loose Permanent Willpower and it can only be gained with Freebie Points at character creation and Experience. Unlike other traits, Willpower goes on a scale of 1-10.

Temporary Willpower: These points may never exceed your Permanent Willpower. Spending a willpower point gains you one automatic success on an action. It is also used to use some disciplines. You gain willpower points back when you do something furthers your goals or is associated with your Nature. You also gain 1 willpower when you wake each night or day if you are mortal.

Below you can find the links to character sheets for Vampire. Take a look at the sheet and see how everything works out. That may make some of this a bit easier to understand.

The Vampire Character Sheet

The Mortal Character Sheet

Last edited:

KitanaVorr

First Post
Okay this is what I've got so far. Some questions about the character sheet. What are the background for dots for? And the merits/flaws stuff?

NAME: Caitlyn Tran
RESIDENCE: Manhattan
CONCEPT: Caitlyn or “Caitie” to her friends is a young singer/songwriter from Texas who has been trying to make it big in New York City ever since she left home on her 18th birthday. Her voice is a soulful sweetness that graces a few of the jazz and blues clubs around the city on a regular basis. The pay is steady and not too bad, it’s enough to afford a decent apartment in Manhattan with her roommate and best friend, Lydia Morales, who is an actress/model.

DEMEANOR: Architect
NATURE: Loner

ATTRIBUTES: Social/Mental/Physical
Appearance 4
Charisma 4 (Graceful)
Manipulation 3
Perception 2
Intelligence 2
Wits 3
Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 2

ABILITIES: Skills/Talents/Academics
Drive 1
Etiquette 2
Firearms 2
Melee 1
Performance 5 (Singing)
Alertness 2
Empathy 2
Expression 2
Intimidation 2
Leadership 2
Streetwise 2
Computer 1
Linguistics 2 (Vietnamese, Spanish)

VIRTUES
Conscience 3
Self-Control 3
Courage 4

HUMANITY 6
WILLPOWER 4

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
If your up for a few explinations about your capabilities from the sheet you put up Kit I'll give some of the descriptors from the rules.

Backgrounds are things like Allies(friends and family), Contacts(people you know), fame (1 dot= known to a local subset of people like club goers), influence(1 point= factor in city politics), Resources (your description equals resources 2 with a monthly allowance of 1200 to spend)

when you have an attribute or ability at rating 4 you may choose a specialization, I will list them next to the things you have 4 dots in

1 dot: Poor
2 dots: Average
3 dots: Good
4 dots: Exceptional
5 dots: Outstanding

Appearance 4 : you are appealing enough to be a model and people often go out of their way to tell you so. (no specializations)

Charisma 4: you have significant personal magnetism. ( Smooth Talker, Genteel, Urbane, Witty, Eloquent Speaker, Graceful)

Manipulation 1: A person of few(often ineffectual) words.
Perception 2: You are oblivious to the very subtle but aware of the bigger picture
Intelligence 2: Smart enough to realize your normal IQ 100
Wits 3: You are seldom surprised or left speechless
Strength 1: you can lift 40 lbs
Dexterity 3: you posses some degree of Athletic Potential
Stamina 2: you are moderately healthy and can take a punch or two.

Drive 1:you know how to work an automatic transmission
Etiquette 3: you know your way around even obscure silverware
Firearms 2: you while away the ocassional hour at a gunclub

Performance 5: You are a virtuoso without peer (4 dots is a national sensation, 3 is in demand at local clubs) (I don't know how ash handles freebies for mortals, but if you don't have any 3 is the max for starting abilities) (Dancing, Singing, Rock and Roll, Acting, Guitar solos, Drunken Karaoke)

Alertness 1:Your no mindless drone
Empathy 2: you can sometimes literally feel someone else's suffering
Expression 2: You could lead a college debate team
Leadership 2: Student Body President
Computer 1: Point and click
Investigation 1: you've read your share of Agatha Christie
Linguistics 1: 1 extra language

VIRTUES
Conscience 4: righteous (3 is Ethical, 2 is normal)
Self-Control 3: Temperate (2 is normal)
Courage 3: Bold (2 is normal)

HUMANITY 7: Normal
WILLPOWER 3: Unassertive

KitanaVorr

First Post
Shalimar said:

Backgrounds are things like Allies(friends and family), Contacts(people you know), fame (1 dot= known to a local subset of people like club goers), influence(1 point= factor in city politics), Resources (your description equals resources 2 with a monthly allowance of 1200 to spend)

Where do I get the dots that go in there?:p

Shalimar

First Post
Kitana you have 5 background points and 21 freebie points.

It costs:
5 freebie points for 1 attribute dot
2 freebie points for 1 ability dot (only way to get one above 3)
1 freebie point for 1 background dot

with your background history I would suggest buying 1 or 2 attribute points to put into manipulation bringing you to at least average, maybe even more.

Last edited:

KitanaVorr

First Post
Shalimar said:
Kitana you have 5 background points and 21 freebie points.

It costs:
5 freebie points for 1 attribute dot
2 freebie points for 1 ability dot (only way to get one above 3)
1 freebie point for 1 background dot

with your background history I would suggest buying 1 or 2 attribute points to put into manipulation bringing you to at least average, maybe even more.

that does sound like a good idea, thanks! :)

KitanaVorr

First Post
Okay Updated....I think I calculated everything correctly :p

NAME: Caitlyn Tran
RESIDENCE: Manhattan
CONCEPT: Caitlyn or “Caitie” to her friends is a young singer/songwriter from Texas who has been trying to make it big in New York City ever since she left home on her 18th birthday. Her voice is a soulful sweetness that graces a few of the jazz and blues clubs around the city on a regular basis. The pay is steady and not too bad, it’s enough to afford a decent apartment in Manhattan with her roommate and best friend, Lydia Morales, who is an actress/model.

DEMEANOR: Architect
NATURE: Loner

ATTRIBUTES: Social/Mental/Physical
Appearance 4
Charisma 4 (Graceful)
Manipulation 3
Perception 2
Intelligence 2
Wits 3
Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 2

ABILITIES: Skills/Talents/Academics
Drive 1
Etiquette 2
Firearms 2
Melee 1
Performance 5 (Singing)
Alertness 2
Empathy 2
Expression 2
Intimidation 2
Leadership 2
Streetwise 2
Computer 1
Linguistics 1 (Vietnamese)

VIRTUES
Conscience 3
Self-Control 5
Courage 5

HUMANITY 8
WILLPOWER 5

BACKGROUND
Allies 1
Contacts 1
Fame 1
Influence 0
Resources 2

EDIT: okay humanity raised :D and shifted around some freebie points to virtues.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Looking good!

I might suggest raising your humanity just a tad, but otherwise she is fine. This would help those in the crowd empathise with her music better.

Now, we have to figure out how to get her into the game. The best way I can think of, is having one of the other characters be looking to Embrace her.

Sabrina could be looking for a "sister" or a more adequate "mother".

Jemal's character may be looking for someone more "grown up" to share his eternity with.

Not sure about the other character since I still havn't gotten much from them.

Of course, any of you are first going to need permission to embrace.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
Just a quick look at the point-distribution looks like they aren't grouped?
(7/5/3, etc)

I'm wondering what Clan you're planning on having her, KitanaV?
I'll be sending that file I mentioned to you shortly. ;)

Shalimar - when we (my wife and I) looked at your character, we used your formatting layout as a template, as you probably noticed (hope that's OK - standardization is good! ;)).

We noticed that your child-vampy has 2 of the same merits Vychtorya does : Enchanting Voice and Blush of Health.

With Caitlyn Tran being a human singer, pre-Embrace, so far our party looks like normal human females! LOL

Well, it won't when I post Nikolai - he's rather dark and cold right now in his 'life' (or currently unlife), having sacrificed his humanity itself for the power for his revenge. :mad:

It was surprising to me to see a Brujah that wasn't a physical-based character. In my inexperience, I was assuming all Brujah to be somewhat thuggish, or at least not as manipulative as your little Sabrina.
Of course, at that age, manipulation comes naturally, eh? ;)

Maybe my ultra-manipulative Nikolai (I originally had him as kind of inspired by Jafar from Alladin - all manipulation, all the time ; grin to your face while plotting to stab you in the back type) could take some tips from her. :D

Oh, lastly -
I ratcheted back Nikolai to be 10th gen, as Ashrem said.
Are you going to be doing that for Sabrina?

edit:
Ashrem - Nikolai would never think of Embracing KV's character - she happens to be a singer, which is what Nikolai's murdered love was.
He has the Flaw of Prey Exclusion (singers, or more generally, entertainers). He'd try not to bring harm to them, as that would be like assaulting his memory of his betrothed. (if you hadn't noticed, I tried to go high-tragedy with Nikolai)

Last edited:

Remove ads