• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampires and dismemberment (discussion)

Nebrok

First Post
This is one of those things that the monster manual doesn't cover about vampires, and that is dismemberment. The book states that vampires have fast healing, but NOT regeneration. So logically a vampire could potentially loose an arm or leg that he or she could not get back.

I've had someone tell me that the vampires arm would mist and return to the coffin. I disagreed because that should only happen when the vampire is reduced to 0 hit points.

Then the same person said, "Then the vampire just regrows it in the coffin."
Once again I disagree, because there is nothing in the entry that specifically states that a vampire can regrow limbs. That would be regeneration and I say again that a vampire don't NOT have regeneration.

So, I was interested on hearing what other people have to say on this. Tell me, what do you think?

For me, the stats in the MM are the combat specific stats. It was decided that fast-healing was a better fit the theme of the Vampire as they appear in the combat encounter.

As such, I am perfectly okay with having my Vampires regenerate during an extended rest, unless of course the part chopped off happened to be thier head and the neck cavity was stuffed with holy wafers.... :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is one of those things that the monster manual doesn't cover about vampires, and that is dismemberment. The book states that vampires have fast healing, but NOT regeneration. So logically a vampire could potentially loose an arm or leg that he or she could not get back.

I've had someone tell me that the vampires arm would mist and return to the coffin. I disagreed because that should only happen when the vampire is reduced to 0 hit points.

Then the same person said, "Then the vampire just regrows it in the coffin."
Once again I disagree, because there is nothing in the entry that specifically states that a vampire can regrow limbs. That would be regeneration and I say again that a vampire don't NOT have regeneration.

So, I was interested on hearing what other people have to say on this. Tell me, what do you think?

I think that someone espousing a rules-as-written viewpoint regarding fast healing not restoring severed limbs should realize that, by that same logic, causing hit point damage doesn't result in dismemberment anyway, so the point is moot.

Nebrok

First Post
I think that someone espousing a rules-as-written viewpoint regarding fast healing not restoring severed limbs should realize that, by that same logic, causing hit point damage doesn't result in dismemberment anyway, so the point is moot.

One can sunder arms and legs in d&d, even heads. The best way to kill a hydra is top sunder all the heads.

Someone

Adventurer
For me, the stats in the MM are the combat specific stats. It was decided that fast-healing was a better fit the theme of the Vampire as they appear in the combat encounter.

IIRC undead in 3.X are immune to non-lethal damage, and regeneration makes most damage non-lethal. The combo would make most undead impossible to kill in most circumnstances or at least really difficult. It has little to to fit with the theme or not.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It is your world myth, do as you want -- I am of the view that if the body part is re-attached, it will regenerate. But thinking about it, I can see how the arm would "mist" as it reached zero hit point, when it was cut off.

Plus, it is a visual and will freak the players. Fear has to count.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Hydras have special rules for their multiple heads. You can't normally sunder arms or legs.

Has the Black Knight been statted up yet?

:lol:

"Oh, running away? Come back here and take what's coming to you!"

Black%20Knight%20-%20Med.JPG

RC

Dausuul

Legend
You're proposing a situation where a vampire with a severed arm would deliberately injure itself down to zero hit points so it could grow it back. This is silly IMO. My view would be that either vampires don't regenerate at all (severed body parts are never regained), or severed body parts can regrow without the vampire going to zero.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with the statement that severed limbs regrow in the coffin. There's no basis in the rules for this; it just seems most thematically appropriate. But then, there's also no basis in the rules for severing a vampire's limbs in the first place.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads