• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampires -- best supplement?

Kunimatyu

First Post
One of the most common D&D supplement themes -- other than Pirates -- seems to be vampires. Out of the many, many d20 vampire books, which one gets YOUR personal seal of approval, and why?

Voadam

Legend
The ravenloft ones have worked out best for me. Ravenloft Campaign Setting (3.0) expands the template for older vampires, the Denizens of Dread/Darkness ravenloft 3.0/3.5 monster books expand on the types of vampires and I have used the Vyrlakos disease vampire in my game to good effect.

Bastion's out for blood was quite nice for some background organizations and prcs I wanted to use but their disease vampire template lost out to the Ravenloft one for use in my game.

I also like the lesser vampire varient from Kalamar, a Kalamar module with I think Horror in the title.

I wrote two vampire variants for the no longer being sold Gaming Frontiers Monsters Book that I quite liked, one was a non template magical vampire and one was a _Lost Boys_ inspired vampire and spawn template.

Lords of the Night: Vampires - Bottled Imp Games

It just makes vampires nasty and the kind of creature that can take on a party of 6 all by itself.

It's a 3.0 product so you'll have to do some minor tweaking, but well worth it in the end.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Hairy Minotaur said:
Lords of the Night: Vampires - Bottled Imp Games

It just makes vampires nasty and the kind of creature that can take on a party of 6 all by itself.

It's a 3.0 product so you'll have to do some minor tweaking, but well worth it in the end.

I second that. And, you can the 3.5 edition edition as a PDF here.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I like Fang & Fury from Green Ronin. They have a Vampire Scion template that is depowered Vampire that can be used for a relatively low-ECL vampire, or for a "Buffy"-style vampire (no gaseous form or charm, for example). LOTN: Vampires from Bottled Imp is pretty cool, too. That one will give you a more powered-up kind of vampire, but it gives a lot of flavor to vampires, and could be used in combination with Fang & Fury.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I like Lords of the Night: Vampires (Bottled Imp) too. Very nice book.

If you don't have a problem taking stuff from other systems though, I recommend Blood Types (GURPS). I've extracted all kinds of things from that book for use with two other systems (one being d20 fantasy).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aus_Snow said:
If you don't have a problem taking stuff from other systems though, I recommend Blood Types (GURPS).

Blood Types is one on the all time great monster supplements for any RPG.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Not that common. I think out of the 1200 or so d20 books (just a guess, used to know for sure here until they started taking non-d20 stuff, so I dunno the exact count), I think maybe 10 are on Vampires (including Ravenloft which I don't have).

The Bottled Imp book is quite good. And the author is a really nice guy.

I also thought the Green Ronin one, Fang & Fury was pretty decent.

The one from Bastion Press is okay, but is in part sort of a monster manual of vampires. There's also a PDF from some Scandanavia company which looks really good (Crothian reviewed it, I can't remember the name).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads