• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampiric Lycanthropes

cincinnati reds

First Post
I know that as the DM, it's 'my' game, but...

have any of you ever read/heard anything to the effect that a creature infected with lycanthropy can not become infected with vampirism as well; and if so, does the change to an undead state change/negate anything from the lycanthrope template?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom/opinions.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
While many people think vampires are just undead there are a number of living vampires. ;)

No there is no reason why you cannot combine the templates. Remember you are also doubling your weakness.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Hmmm... depends on if you consider both a curse. If you view Lycanthropy as a disease I'd say that when one becomes undead that the Lycanthropy disease dies as it can't live in an undead host. Makes sense that Lycanthropy should be treated as such since Paladins are immune to Lycanthropy through their Divine Health ability which makes them immune to ALL diseases.

I don't recall having seen "Living Vampire" stats since the 2E Ravenloft Appendix to the Monstrous Compendium. I assume that "Vampires" for 3E are the undead variety but that is just me. Vampyres (the Living variety found in Ravenloft 2E) are much weaker than the Undead Vampires. I could see a crossover between a Vampyre and a Lycanthrope but not the Vampire.

Last edited:

cincinnati reds said:
I know that as the DM, it's 'my' game, but...

have any of you ever read/heard anything to the effect that a creature infected with lycanthropy can not become infected with vampirism as well; and if so, does the change to an undead state change/negate anything from the lycanthrope template?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom/opinions.

There's nothing in the rules per se that should prevent this. Vampirism can only affect humanoids and monstrous humanoids, though, at least when using the MM template. IF the fact that any lycanthrope also acquires the (shapechanger) subtype prevents blocks the vampire template requirement of humanoid and monstrous humanoid only, then it's not allowed inside the existing framework. I don't know how this rule is supposed to be interpreted, however.

Without spoiling too much of the movie, you may want to check out "Underworld" if you didn't do so already and you may find a few ideas (as well as Kate Beckinsale dressed in black leather).

-Zarrock

Thanee

First Post
A humanoid, that becomes a lycanthrope, is still a humanoid, so could become a vampire, I guess.

The only question would be, whether the final creature would still be a lycanthrope then, since it's no longer a humanoid, but an undead.

Bye
Thanee

Mercule

Adventurer
Thanee said:
A humanoid, that becomes a lycanthrope, is still a humanoid, so could become a vampire, I guess.

The only question would be, whether the final creature would still be a lycanthrope then, since it's no longer a humanoid, but an undead.
Rules-wise, I think Thanee hit the nail on the head. I don't think it's "officially" possible. In the grand scheme of things, though, this is probably a pretty minor rule to violate.

On the other hand, I'm a bit of a purist as far as vampires go, so I wouldn't do it for flavor reasons.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
According to some traditional folklore/legends/myths and whatnot werewolves become vampires when they die.
I don't know if this helps at all. But it seems to be related to the topic sorta.

Wombat

First Post
Sorry, but this thread reminds me of this Bizarro cartoon (see attached).

No commentary one way or another on the campaign notion, but Happy pre-Hallowe'en! ;)

Attachments

• bz021229l.gif
    bz021229l.gif
    90.9 KB · Views: 172

Voadam

Legend
Under the rules, a lycanthrope (either natural or infected) can become a vampire. A vampire however cannot BECOME a lycanthrope.

A werewolf vampire was done as far back as the 1e world of greyhawk boxed set.

Some traditions say that if you kill a werewolf "wrong" (not silver or whatever is required for that specific one, they come back as a vampire.

If you go with the disease story element of lycanthropy then you could have vampirism kill the infection so only natural lycanthropes could rise as lycanthropic vampires.

Nebt Bhakau

First Post
Speaking of vampiric lycanthropes, does anyone else remember that one episode of [The Real] Ghostbusters?

I always thought that would make a great D&D adventure.

Remove ads