Van Richten's Guide to the Mists available for free download

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
One of the earliest 3E materials from SSS was also Van Richten's Arsenal. Likewise, for 2E, Chilling Tales was a collection of eight adventures, with Van Richten himself, against each of the foes of his original eight guides. Also, Forged of Darkness was based on the pretext that Van Richten raided the Black Vault beneath the Grim Fastness. Finally, there's the spectacular boxed set Bleak House: The Death of Rudolph van Richten.

That said, I just finished reading this, and it was a great product! I especially liked the continuing tales of the Weathermay-Foxgrove sisters (though not having Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey, one or two of the references were things I knew I would have recognized if I'd had that). The story at the ending was worthy of anything written about them previously...an absolutely perfect tie to the setting's history, and a great send-off for the line.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Klaus said:
VRG to the *Shadow* Fey, to be precise... ;)

Yep, indeed :)

By the way, just for the little story, was art never asked for, or did they ask you to stop in the process? I would have loved to see your rendition of the Telling man :)

Joël

What a great book! It presents intriguing mechanics for the demiplane, showing what makes it unique and compelling as a seperate plane of existence rather than just a collection of fantasy nations with extra draculas, wolfmen, and mummies. It makes me like Ravenloft a lot more.

Voadam

Legend
SidusLupus said:
This is an awesome book, I really like the flavor of it. I don't know too much about Ravenloft except the horror theme and this really does a wonderful job of it.

Not to derail the thread but is there a Ravenloft specific Monster Manual/ Beastiary that I can look into aquiring?

Here are links to the 3e ravenloft bestiary pdf for sale http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog...h=153_263&products_id=2476&affiliate_id=17596
and the 3.5 update of it http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog...h=153_263&products_id=2479&affiliate_id=17596

I have a review of the 3.0 one in the reviews section.

Klaus

First Post
Joël of the FoS said:
Yep, indeed :)

By the way, just for the little story, was art never asked for, or did they ask you to stop in the process? I would have loved to see your rendition of the Telling man :)

Joël
Nope, never approached to do it. Last action I got from Arthaus was in January, when I did Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends. :(

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Klaus said:
Nope, never approached to do it. Last action I got from Arthaus was in January, when I did Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends. :(

Interesting. So we can perhaps deduct something was already under discussion about the fate of Ravenloft as soon as early this year.

Joël

Klaus

First Post
Joël of the FoS said:
Interesting. So we can perhaps deduct something was already under discussion about the fate of Ravenloft as soon as early this year.

Joël
Probably. These books are finished way ahead of time (which is a reason why consumer feedback may take a while before reaching the finished products). At any rate, this is a book I would really have loved to illustrate.

Remove ads