• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Van Richten's Ravenloft Campaign Ideas

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
Thinking about the campaign I want to run with this as the sourcebook. Im thinking that each part of the Rod of Seven parts is hidden in a different domain, and the characters, who obviously have some way to move through the mists, set out to recover it and assemble it.

What ideas are you thinking of?

G

You can read the net-fandom of the fraternity of shadow, and the mistipedia.

Think about crossover with Innistrad, 3PPs (Kaidan, Shadow over Varthak, the Lost Citadel, Grimm Hollow, Night Fell, Obisian Apocalypse).

One of my homebred ideas of a dread domains would be inspired in "Attacks on the Titans", where the menater giants are the laestrygonians

1622636762515.jpeg

(Dusk Giant from "Heroes of Horror").

Other idea is a dark lady as Daenerys Targaryen "mother of dragons", and her curse is their children are infernal or catastrophic dragons.

A dark lord is a gun-runner (with an obsesion for the guns) and in his domain the modern firearm can work but the curse is they are almost useless. There are battle-fields where undeads, elementals, constructs, plants and other monsters with bulletproof traits fight each other. In this place, like a wicked version of the Valhalla, a special vegetation can grow, and this is gathered to craft "cheap" potions and talismans that gift for a little time a almost-total damage reduction against balistic damage. The machine-guns can work, but they overheat fastly. Only firearms with more 50 years can work without problems, but of course these are too expensive, because they are relics practically.

Other dread domain would be with "exotic" werebeasts/theriantropes (hare, donkey, ram, bison..). It would look a kid-friendly cartoon but they are hunted and abducted by "predators" who use their regenerative powers as renewable food source or as cannon-fodder against the infected zombies (they are inmune, but they become berzerker for a little time when they are bitten and temporally "infected").

jgsugden

Legend
Thinking about the campaign I want to run with this as the sourcebook. Im thinking that each part of the Rod of Seven parts is hidden in a different domain, and the characters, who obviously have some way to move through the mists, set out to recover it and assemble it.

What ideas are you thinking of?

G
Funny you should mention this - I am running a campaign where the PCs use an extraplanar mansion as a waypoint to look for the Rod of Seven parts amongst the various planes of the universe - and I dropped a piece in a Ravenloft Realm. I decided this about 2 years ago, so the timing was very fortuitous that Ravenloft came out now when the PCs were ready to start looking for a new item. They've spent 2 sessions in my version of the House of Lament.

More generally responding to the thread: I don't feel like Ravenloft, however, is a great 'Campaign' setting. It is an outstanding 'Adventure' setting. Ravenloft relies upon intensity and dread to really work ... and players tend to desensitize to those techniques if they are consistently there through a campaign. I've used Ravenloft 'Domains of Dread' for decades as part of my campaign setting, and my general rules are:

1.) PCs travel there for a specific adventure, and then would have trouble returning. It is never their choice to go there... they are lured or drawn there through outside forces.

2.) The PCs will be given a specific goal to achieve there through the storyline - but that isn't the truth of why they are there. They're there to gather information and I use Ravenloft realms to deliver that information. For example, one of my realms is a place where the Greatest Calamity that ever took place in my setting occurs over and over and over and over every day. The Darklord is a soul destined to relive his mistake over and over and over. In the end, he always lacks the courage to step the tragedy. When PCs go there, they are given hints that they can stop the calamity and break the pattern ... but they're really there to observe the key players in the story and their personalities, even though they go through a different variation on the story every day. And, if the PCs do help the tragedy be avoided, the Darklord still dies and the loop resets. There is no beating the Domains of Dread.

3.) The session before the PCs encounter the Domain of Dread is always very joyful, playful and fun. This gives that contrast to make the Domain of Dread feel dreadful.

4.) I don't do random horror. All of the horror elements I use are tied to the adventure in some way. I don't throw wandering monster werewolves into a Haunted House, or example, unless I establish that werewolves played a part in the curse of the house.

5.) In my campaign world, the Domains of Dread are dark reflections of the real world. The Dreadlords are not the real people trapped in Ravenloft, but instead are Simulacrums of them that give shape to the pain and anguish experienced in the real world. This gives me the freedom to have horrific events from earlier in the campaign that took place in the Prime show up as a Domain of Dread later in the game - features earlier corrupted versions of the PCs themselves. That is usually a hit.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I’ve made this comment on other threads, but…

When a group of characters in a standard campaign are causing too much trouble for the powers that be, they wake up one morning in effectively The Village from The Prisoner, stuck in a domain of conspiracy horror with their very perceptions being gaslit around them as they try to escape a bucolic bureaucracy meant to ensnare the freewheeling do-gooders and make them mere numbers like the denizens of that domain.

(that standard campaign could be an actual normal campaign, or it could be a short lead-in that the players expect to go a different route. Imagine running a group through Dragon Heist only to have their expectations of then heading into Undermountain turn out very differently…)

Stormonu

Legend
I'm thinking on one of two "one shots" for Halloween

1) FALKOVNIA
Characters are Captains of the Guard with their own workforce of 3-6 Survivor NPCs they are in charge of. It's four days until the next new moon, and the group is given orders to take their work gangs from Lekar to Morfenzi to gather the last of the harvest there to bring it back to the capital for the upcoming zombie assault. Several encounters along the way where each player needs to not only get their own character through it, but keep their work gang safe. Upon reaching Morfenzi, it's strangely peaceful. Game switches to the characters taking up the survivors of the work gangs and they deal with a plot by the survivors to escape to the Valley of the Queen rather than risk certain death returning to the capital. As survivors, they have to evade their own PCs (and the lycanthropic Lord Overseer of Morfenzi) and make it to the Valley of the Queen - only to find out the Valley is crammed with the undead. However, after a harrowing chase, the surviving PCs find a secret path that will lead them to the true valley, a place of bountiful food inaccessible to the zombie hordes - for now.

2) DEMENTLIEU
Group makes characters who are attending one of Saidra's grand balls, each with their own agenda. As part of the second act, the characters are lured to the Green room, where they discover everyone else in the room is vampires. Remaining adventure is the characters navigating the labyrinith maze hosting the 13 Rooms of Forbidden Pleasures (and the horrors within) and trying to get out alive, while also completing their agendas.

I've been toying with the idea of a low level adventure where each character starts with part of a broken crown, the final piece though is missing and the goal of the first mission it to find it.

At the end of the introductory adventure they retrieve the last part of the crown and are soon taken by the mists and dropped in Darkon, where they can use the completed crown to bring back Azalin, kicking off the campaign.

(This is suggested/hinted at a couple of times in random tables listed in the book)

---
For some reason I've also had a couple of ideas for Ravnica/Ravenloft mashups, just basic stuff like the Cult of Rakdos running The Carnival, and a Simic darklord who turned his loved ones into hybrid monsters (the dark gift: 'symbiotic being' fits really well with the Simic combine guild)

Azuresun

Adventurer
Were I to run a full campaign of this, I'd probably run it as half gothic Sliders and half Resident Evil 3--the PC's fleeing from domain to domain ahead of an unstoppable hunter that cannot be permanently slain, hunting them due to mysterious marks on their bodies--if they die, the mark jumps to an unlucky denizen of the realm who will be forced to join the flight.

smf2045

Villager
So, as a DM, could your tech levels in your homebrew Ravenloft domain be ANYTHING that you wanted? Could you actually run a Ravenloft 5E Ravenloft game with modern or futuristic tech and not have the PCs be overpowered vs. the villains once they get their hands on high tech weapons, like like laser pistols and rifles?

I'm thinking creating a domain ruled by the Transformer Decepticon Overlord, specifically the version from the original IDW Transformers comics. Overlord is a sadistic mass-murdering Decepticon there with a pathological fear of defeat, who even scares Megatron, Shockwave, and Soundwave. He's also near invincible.

Thoughts?

Sithlord

Adventurer
So, as a DM, could your tech levels in your homebrew Ravenloft domain be ANYTHING that you wanted? Could you actually run a Ravenloft 5E Ravenloft game with modern or futuristic tech and not have the PCs be overpowered vs. the villains once they get their hands on high tech weapons, like like laser pistols and rifles?

I'm thinking creating a domain ruled by the Transformer Decepticon Overlord, specifically the version from the original IDW Transformers comics. Overlord is a sadistic mass-murdering Decepticon there with a pathological fear of defeat, who even scares Megatron, Shockwave, and Soundwave. He's also near invincible.

Thoughts?
Sure. Laser guns damage 1d6 fire. Laser rifles 1d8 fire.

there are great monsters in 2E for robot golems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads