• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vancian isn't really dead...?

Ninja-to

First Post
Ok, so I heard the 'memorization' rule is gone, and have even played one session with my wizard, but now I realize in the wizard spellbook description that you still have to 'prepare' your daily and 'utility' spells.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Wizards at 1st level have a choice of two daily spells, so you have to 'prepare' (memorize) one of those spells?

And so that means, even though you have 2 dailies in your book, you choose only one, and it's just like older memorization. You can't pick just one of them on the fly and cast it, using up your one daily power?

Also it doesn't say exactly when you choose the spell to 'prepare' unless I missed it somewhere.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
Ok, so I heard the 'memorization' rule is gone, and have even played one session with my wizard, but now I realize in the wizard spellbook description that you still have to 'prepare' your daily and 'utility' spells.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Wizards at 1st level have a choice of two daily spells, so you have to 'prepare' (memorize) one of those spells?

And so that means, even though you have 2 dailies in your book, you choose only one, and it's just like older memorization. You can't pick just one of them on the fly and cast it, using up your one daily power?

Also it doesn't say exactly when you choose the spell to 'prepare' unless I missed it somewhere.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Yes wizards still have some elements of the vancian system. Everything you've said is correct. You choose what spells to prepare after an extended rest.

Ninja-to

First Post
Gawd. That hurts. My main problem with it is now, just like before, you have to see the future and wonder which will be more important that particular day, Blur or Feather Fall... sigh.

Maximillian

First Post
Well, actually, if it's the "seeing the future" aspect of it that bothers you, 4e is probably worse than 3e. You're picking even your encounter powers from a list and will be stuck with them at least until you gain a level and have an opportunity to retrain. Picked Lightning Bolt just in time to learn that storm giants will feature heavily in the next few sessions? Oops.

This is why 4e design strives to make more powers useful in more situations. Maybe it's not perfect, but at least wizards have options with daily and utility powers. They're the only class that does.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wizards are the last vestige of the 'vancian' system, in that they still 'prepare' spells.

However, all classes now have limitted-use powers, so that aspect of it is not only alive and well, but universal.

Mort_Q

First Post
Wizards still have it better than other classes. They have more powers to choose from than the other classes.

Sure, they need to know a little about what is coming to pick their spells effectively, but at least they have the option if they do know what's coming.

Add to this, the ability to make wands, etc., once they hit 5 level (or 4th if the DM is kind and puts a Ritual Book (or scroll) into the game).

andarilhor

First Post
The spellbook and the ability to choose his dailies and utilities seems to be a controller thing, so we can expect similar abilities (broader choices of powers) from some classes in PHB2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads