• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vanguard and an unrelated question

Breltik

First Post
Anyone here going to play or at least try Vanguard: Saga of Heros when it comes out? I am in a pre release guild for it called Crimson Wind. Seems like it should be more 'hardcore' than WoW is and have a better character customizer than Star Wars Galaxies.

On an unrelated note, is there a freeware program that is like a toned down version of Fantasy Grounds? I want to play with a few folks online but they dont know if they want to play for very long, thus they dont want to spend money on a program they wont use. I looked into Webrpg, but it wasnt that great.

Thanks for the help

I'm a MMORPG junkie with a short attention span, so I'm sure I'll at least try Vanguard. I'm the type that actually liked corpse runs in EQ, so I hope it's more up my alley than WoW.

RigaMortus2

First Post
The corpse run thing just turns me off... No matter what the reasoning is, no matter how you spin it, corpse runs are boring, a waste of time, out dated... and did I mention a waste of time?

I will probably give it a shot though. Not sure how long I'll play or be able to stand it though, heh.

RigaMortus2 said:
The corpse run thing just turns me off... No matter what the reasoning is, no matter how you spin it, corpse runs are boring, a waste of time, out dated... and did I mention a waste of time?

I will probably give it a shot though. Not sure how long I'll play or be able to stand it though, heh.

Your opinion. I feel that the current trend of reducing or eliminating death penalties takes the fun out of the game, and reduces challenging encounters to zerg rushes.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'm interested in Vanguard, but my interest level in MMORPG's in general has waned. Not sure if I'll pick it up or not. I'm having fun rediscovering the Final Fantasy series from it's beginnings. :D

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

Grain of salt, of course, but I've read that in the beta they're lucky to get 100 people playing at peak times. I'm assuming they've invited more than 100 people into the beta, which tells me that Vanguard _as a beta_ just isn't particularly fun right now.

The obvious response to that is, omfg it's a beta you noob, they should be testing.

The obvious response to that is, World of Warcraft beta was incredibly, incredibly fun. Not for you reading this, of course. You're better than that. Just for the hundreds of thousands of people in the beta towards the end.

So, that bodes ill for Vanguard, in my opinion.

Regarding the "hardcore" thing, ya know, I read the same thing way back when. That Vanguard would be for the "hardcore" players. It turns out they meant "core" players, not "hardcore". I'm not sure what "core" players means, except it's not "hardcore".

For me, I'll state that corpse runs just ain't fun, trivial loot code just ain't fun, durability just ain't fun, hugely long travel times just ain't fun, forced grouping just ain't fun, etc.

The death penalty in World of Warcraft, by the way, is listening on vent to half the guild bitching about the raid wiping, blaming people, whining, moaning, running back to the zone, running back to where we wiped, rezzing up, rebuffing, oh, people are afk, waiting for them to come back to the keyboard, oh, somebody didn't get buffed, get buffed, okay, ready? Great, keel the bad monster! Woo.

ragnar1965

First Post
I was gonna try this until I got the news that SOE got involved. The killer of every great game they've ever gotten involved with. Someone said that they're lucky to get 100 people at peak times. That's why. Go to www.mmorpg.com and check out the messageboards regarding this game. 95% of the posts are in regards to Sony and how they have destroyed the will of gamers to try what would've ordinarily looked like a promising game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads