• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

variable movement and chases

JDJblatherings

First Post
Chases have always been troublesome in D&D because the movement stat is a fixed score. Here's my fix-

Movement has a base score that is same as listed.

to go faster then a regualr move you roll a d6 and get to move that many more spaces.

roll an extra d6 for each speed category faster you are going.(considering a d4 roll for folks with a normal move of 20 or less and a d8 for anyone with a base move over 40)

roll a 1 on any of the dice make a reflex save or stumble, halting halfway along the move and falling if the save is missed by 5 or more. DC= 10+1 per speed category you are going over normal. (just one 1 not each 1)

benefit- Folks can have foot races on a board, slowish folks have a slight chance of catching someone else.
Dice rolling adds drama.

disadvantage- dice rolling slows things down.

Ilium

First Post
I think it's a fine, simple start. One thing to note is that if you give slower characters a smaller die type they will trip more often, which hardly seems fair.

My preferred approach to chases is the Hot Pursuit supplement. It rocks.

Remove ads