• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant Combat rules

rules on replacing Maximum dexterity bonuses and things about armor have come up so here is my alternate combat system:

First, Defence value is equal to 1d10 + 5 + (normal AC with out the base ten and armor)

parry is either good bad or fair
fighter, monk, rogue, paladin, and ranger are good
barbarian(not raging), druid(in wild shape), and bard
cleric, wizard, sorcerer, barbarian(raging), and druid(notin wild shape)
good is 3/4 level
fair is 1/2 level
poor is 1/4 level

If you beat an opponents AC by five you score a critical hit
18-20 weapons get a +2 for purposes of determining criticals
19-20 weapons get a +1 for purposes of determining criticals
Criticals bypass Damage Resistance(not to beconfused with damage reduction)

Armor provides Damage Resistance equal to 10*ACValue%
Armor does not ad its armor bonus to AC
armor provides a penalty to dexterity and any skill to which a check penalty applies(the penalties overlap so use the larger) equal to 8 - max dex of armor
Enhancement values to armor provide Damage reduction equal to the enhancement/the enhancement-1

Hp is equal to constitution score + constitution modifier*level

If im missing something let me know and the system was tested in a antimagic material plane so anything that has to do with magic is untested

then there is the answe on how to make spellcasters weaker

but i did forget to mention that armor anly apllies half on elemental damage(fire, cold, acid, lightning, sonic, sacred, or profane)

Spells..

Ken Hood's answer is simple, make spells rare and work in a primarily medium humanoid to medium humanoid enviroment. Spells and Dragons in his system are nasty, nasty things and should be approached only with great care and planning.

This is true of any system that uses HP = CON or similiar mechanic. Even the lowly Magic Missile suddenly becomes rather nasty.

However, it is a much more 'realistic' approach to the game.
{as well as realism can be applied to a world with magic spells and Dragons, of course}

JMHO :)

Remove ads