• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Variant human Dex Fighter tank: Medium Armor Master or Heavy Armor + Mobile?

Which setup do you think would work better on a Dex tank that dumps Str? I know that conventional thinking is to pick the former, but the latter presents a new way of thinking for those who don't need Stealth. What does everyone else think?

bid

First Post
Mobile all the way because you can change your mind and go medium/light whenever you want. I've been convinced MAM is a one-trick pony.

Noctem

Explorer
The only way to get a higher AC total than a dex build with MAM is to go heavy and get plate armor. Plate armor costs 1500 gold and AFAIK isn't supposed to be a common drop. So imo you should check with the DM to see just how easy it would be to get plate vs getting the best medium armor which costs half the price or less.

mellored

Legend
Mobility.

MAM is only good when you have 16 or 17 Dex.
If you have 18 dex, take +2 dex and light armor. Which adds the same AC plus initiative/saves/skills/to-hit.
If you have 14 dex, you can't take advantage of the feat.

Mobility also has other benefits besides the speed.

I primarily play in AL games these days, so plate availability is limited only by gold. The idea is to go heavy armor sword and board with a rapier. Having such a build in my back pocket is useful for adding a good amount of armor to casters who would prefer to have more Dex than Str. It's definitely my go-to for any GFB/BB builds that need to have higher AC to make up for low hit points.

Remove ads