Variant Player's Handbooks -- Who do you want to write one?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
TheAuldGrump said:
I want something new and different, just like these! :p

The Auld Grump, a nonconformist, just like all his friends...

"One of us. One of us."

Is it just me or do all of the best lines come from The Simpsons?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I don't know, as far as I have seen there are only about eight episodes... any time I see the Simpsons it is always one of those eight playing...

The Auld Grump, not a big TV watcher...

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
TheAuldGrump said:
The Auld Grump, not a big TV watcher...

I'm not either. I buy DVDs. Lots of DVDs. And rely on Netflix for what I don't buy.

Hell, I only get one TV station in clear and about four others that are static-filled.

sjmiller

Explorer
philreed said:
Okay, Monte Cook has written Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved and Mike Mearls has Iron Lore. Which game designer would you like to see write a variant Player's Handbook and why?
Let's see, how about Ken Hite and David Pulver as co-authors, with Phil Reed (yes, you!), Marcus Rowland (I think that is the name of the guy who does Forgotten Futures), and Phil Masters doing additional writing? This would cover a great deal of the unusual and offbeat that I would like to see, with a good dose of solid rules writing thrown in for good measure. Ken and David work well together, and would provide a PH with a twist. Phil and Phil would add offbeat and quirky details with enough information to provide a player and DM with story hooks aplenty. I added Marcus in because he has a good grasp of how to present an old world feel to the game without letting too much get in the way of enjoyment. Okay, I also added him for that certain Victorian era influence that only he can give it.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
sjmiller said:
Let's see, how about Ken Hite and David Pulver as co-authors, with Phil Reed (yes, you!), Marcus Rowland (I think that is the name of the guy who does Forgotten Futures), and Phil Masters doing additional writing? This would cover a great deal of the unusual and offbeat that I would like to see, with a good dose of solid rules writing thrown in for good measure. Ken and David work well together, and would provide a PH with a twist. Phil and Phil would add offbeat and quirky details with enough information to provide a player and DM with story hooks aplenty. I added Marcus in because he has a good grasp of how to present an old world feel to the game without letting too much get in the way of enjoyment. Okay, I also added him for that certain Victorian era influence that only he can give it.

I think that would result in a new OGL game faster than it would a VPHB. :)

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I thought of someone else I'd like to see attempt a VPHB: Ron Edwards. I think it would be quite interesting to see his take on the system.

Jolly Giant

First Post
If you want a low-magic variant, using a mana-system for all spellcasting classes, check out Vikings D20. Coming soon to an online store near you! ;)

JimAde

First Post
Jolly Giant: You are a bad, bad man for teasing us about that Vikings D20 release. I'm just going to have to come over there and copy it off your hard drive. :)

-Jim (who really wants Vikings D20...)

Mokona

First Post
Something from Jonathan Tweet would be awesome. His previous projects have been very new ideas (Everway) or classics (Ars Magica).

Besides, of the 3rd edition designers he's the best of the three. And I believe he's the only one of those three that hasn't already done a variant player's handbook.

Remove ads