variant XP system - eliminating XP

scholz

First Post
My current AU game uses this method. Roughly. I don't calculate XP but I sort of figure the 13 encounter rule in my mind.
What I do that might be different is that all level advancement is at the completion of some goal. For instance.
Siege and Capture the Keep. Once they did it, they went up a level.
Once there is a clear goal like that, I announce this to the players.
You will advance a level once you've dealt with ..............

This gives them some additional incentive to complete the goal. They sometimes try extra hard, take extra risks, or play late, in part I think because they know that success spells a new level.

I level the whole party together, whether or not they attended every game (I just find this easier, and it is more fun if everyone is the same level).
I got rid of the craft magic items feats and replaced them with Power Rituals from Mystic Secrets (or inspired by them).

Potential Problems.... I need to keep goals relatively short term. I haven't quite figured out what to do with goals that change (for example if the party decides to give up).

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
What I do is to just tell the players when their PCs level up. But I do keep a running XP total, in case it becomes necessary for item creation or some such. I just increase the XP totals by as much as is needed for the PCs to level up at the pace I want. So if I want them to go from 6th level to 7th in five sessions, they get 1,200 XP per session. This system is much easier than using the standard one. Another advantage besides ease of use is the fact that players do not feel that they need to kill things to go up levels. Want to kick ass and take names? Want to attend a fancy dress ball where nobody raises a finger? Want to explore the city and spend time interacting with NPCs? You still get XP every time.

Sorren

First Post
We aren't using XPs in my current game so I came up with a system to handle XP expenditures for item creation and certain spells/powers.

Sorren's House Rules said:
Every character has an XP reserve equal to his level x 100. These XPs are only used to fuel spells or powers that require XPs or item creation. You permanently lose 1 hit point every time you exceed this amount. For example, a 5th level character has 500xp reserved just for item creation or for spells that require XPs. If he spends 1,000 XPs, he permanently loses 2 hit points.

Spells that Cost Experience:

Nearly every magical spell has a "power component" (see Unearthed Arcana pg.141-149) that can be used to aid in casting the spell. If you have the power component, the XP cost of casting is reduced by 1/5th the cost of the component. Any additional XP required must come from the caster's reserve, possibly causing a loss of hit points. Additional power components may further reduce the cost.

A caster knows the power component for a specific spell if he succeeds on a Spellcraft check, DC:20 + the spell's level.

In addition, if you have the spell’s power component, and the spell doesn’t normally require an xp expenditure, the component may allow you to add a metamagic effect upon casting. If the spell does require an xp expenditure, you may elect to pay it anyway and gain the effects of the metamagic feat. The metamagic effect gained depends on the spell and power component. (See Unearthed Arcana pg.141-149)

Psionic Powers that cost Experience:

Psionic powers that require XPs are handled a bit differently. The psion may purchase a crystal equal in value to the level of the power + manifester level x 100. Over the course of an hour per level of the power, the psion attunes the crystal to the power he plans to use. Once created, the crystal houses a number of XP equal to the power's level x 100 that can only be used to fuel that particular power. Once drained of its stored XP, the crystal shatters and becomes useless. Any additional XP required must come from additional focus crystals or the manifester's reserve, possibly causing a loss of hit points.

Focus crystals created for powers that do not require an XP expenditure have no effect unless the power it is attuned to is required to create a psionic item. See below.

Magical Item Creation:

Creating magical items require specific spells to be cast. For every required spell for which the item requires, the caster may elect to use a single power component. For each component used, the xp cost of creating the item is reduced by 1/5 the total cost of all components.

For example, if a caster wanted to create a Cloak of Arachnida, he has to cast the spells Web and Spider Climb and it would cost 7,000gp and 560xp. However, if the caster gathers the power components for both spells, which cost 1,550gp total, the cost then becomes 8,550gp and 336xp.

If a magic item doesn’t require a specific spell to be cast, the caster can create a general power component. The cost of the component equals 1/10th the base price of the item and stores a number of XPs equal to 1/50th the base price of the item. The components may take any form, from elaborate alchemical setups to a glass rod carved with runes. XPs stored in additional power components stack. Items that require spells to be cast cannot be created with the aid of a general power component. Only power components associated with the necessary spells can be used.

The Artificer class' craft reserve functions normally. It provides bonus XPs that can only be used during item creation.

Psionic Item Creation:

In the same way magic items require the casting of specific spells, psionic items require the manifestion of specific powers. For each power required to create the item, the manifester may utilize a single focus crystal attuned to that power. Focus crystals created for powers that do not require an XP expenditure have no effect unless the power it is attuned to is required to create a psionic item.

Determine the total number of XPs stored in the focus crystals. These XPs can be deducted from the total XP cost of creating the item.

For example, if a psion wanted to create a Comprehension Crystal Anchor it would cost him 12,000gp and 960xp. However, if he gathered a focus crystal for the two required powers, brain lock and psionic contingency, the cost would become 13,300gp and 160xp.

If a psionic item doesn’t require a specific power to be manifested, the manifester can create a general focus crystal. The cost of the crystal equals 1/10th the base price of the item and stores a number of XPs equal to 1/50th the base price of the item. XPs stored in additional focus crystals stack. Items that require powers to be manifested cannot be created with the aid of a general focus crystal. Only crystals attuned to the necessary powers can be used.

GlassJaw

Hero
Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely gives me some ideas and also what to expect about implementing a system like this.

As far as the item creation issue, that won't be a problem for me because I'll be using it in a low-magic campaign. For a low-magic game, this system seems ideal. Since the CR's will need to be adjusted anyway, this makes it that much easier.

afrorooster

First Post
Personally in my campaign, I assign XP depending on what the characters do.
If the wizard in the party uses a knowledge check to try to remember what the monster is week against and uses that against him, I reward him with more XP. if someone stands back and just watches his friends do the dirty work they won't get any XP. It does take a little more paying close attention to the battles but I find it helps characters get into the battle more, roleplay a little more and have more fun.

as to what your proposing, sounds good to me, and definatly is a diffrent way of doing things. I like the idea of the players not knowing when they level up. I'm not experianced enough to pick out any flaws...so i wont try to sound smart.

A'koss

Explorer
I had been running my games using only Story-based Awards from almost the very beginning.

What I do is I find out how much XP I want to award for the adventure on the whole. I don't care about encounters - just about how fast I want the campaign to advance. I usually come up with a range of +/- 10% of that figure to allow for some flexibility if the gang accomplishes more or less than I expect. Then I break the adventure down into sections (usually around 4-6) and again, I don't worry about the individual encounters, just eyeball the overall difficulty of that section and divide the total range up appropriately. A typical adventure breaks down like this:

If my target XP award for the adventure is 200,000 XP, my actual range is 180 - 220,000.

Section 1: 10% of the Total (18-22,000 XP).
Section 2: 15% of the Total (27-33,000 XP).
Section 3: 20% of the Total (36-44,000 XP).
Section 4: 25% of the Total (45-55,000 XP).
Section 5: 30% of the Total (54-66,000 XP).

The more goals you accomplish (that I set), the more you get for that section...

And in doing it this way it won't matter how a player wants to accomplish the mission - they can take any approach they like so long as they get the job done.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I also look forward to play with an Xp-less system.

I don't have issues with item creation because magic items also will work differently than standard D&D (think of them free of cost, but still limited by character level) and item creation feats will only the grant the possibility of having the items you want - otherwise they'll be kind of random.

I still have some problems about Xp cost for some spells, and since the game will also be Gp-less I cannot use power components. So far I'm planning to either replace the Xp cost with story-based components or with a minimum time between two casting of the same spell (perhaps 1 day per each Xp).

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Finally!!! I am not alone.

I tried posting (on another forum) about giving XP out at Chapter breaks... basically, saying okay you leveled... and I got brow beatin about how I was ruining the game and that I was a control freak and didnt have a clue.

Its good to know that others have similiar ideas.

I basically break down the campaign into adventures. Each adventure has several scenarios. Those Scenarios have degrees of success that the player can achieve. Each scenario has a maximum amount of XP it is worth. At the end of an adventure I add up the accomplishments, hand out xp and the party levels up if they can (this normally is one to two levels).

I dont hand out XP at the end of game sessions, for one I don't like the kill things rewards system and two I feel it distracts from the fiction. At the end of game sessions I had out Bonus Hero Points for good roleplaying, heroic deeds, etc. These are basically "action points" that the player can use during the game session to enchance the heroic nature of the story.

I pretty much could ditch the XP all together and just use the Hero Points as the rewards and level the characters at appropriate breaks.

Afrodyte

Explorer
I think I'd like an XP-free system too, although previous posters are correct in assuming that the crafting of magic items could be problematic.

One way to handle XP-free magic item creation would be to have the creation of magic items hinge on materials that require the spellcaster to go out and get them. In other words, the making of a magic item becomes an adventure in itself. Of course, in setting terms, this would mean that there are fewer but more powerful magic items since most craftsmen would not risk life and limb to get the blood of a werewolf or other regenerating creature for a potion of cure light wounds. However, a prudent spellcaster would probably make sure that they are well-supplied with the types of materials they would use regularly.

RickVigorous

First Post
I work without XP (and I use something like the XP reserve above for handling item creation and other related needs). Instead, I use what I call the objective system. There are three sorts of objectives: minor, major, and epic. Completing 5 minor objectives earns a new level. Each major objective counts for 2 minor objectives; an epic objective counts for 5. The DM determines what counts as an objective.

I also typically let players set their own objectives, with my permission. Typically, a minor objective can be completed in one session; a major objective takes three or so sessions. Epic objectives take much more time, and often involve numerous minor and major objectives en route. For example, an epic objective might show up early in a campaign, something like "Foil the Dreaming Dark's plot to take over Breland." This might include a number of other objectives, like "discover the name of the Inspired spy who has infiltrated the King's court" or "prevent the spy from getting a message to his masters on Dal Quor."

I typically make sure the players know what objectives are currently outstanding, although there are "hidden" objectives on occasion. I don't like them to know how significant the objectives are, although it's often easy to guess; "Clear out some orcs in a cave" is typically minor, "defeat the fiendish armies of the Nine Hells" is epic. Objectives are also supposed to scale with the power of the PCs; the orc-clearing wouldn't be an objective at all for a group of 18th-level PCs.

Remove ads