D&D 3E/3.5 Vassal of Bahamut and Paladin build (3.5)

Pergentile

Explorer
No, it isn't honorable... honor doesn't touch the action. Its LAWFUL GOOD to kill a Red dragon, no questions asked, no matter the circumstance. Wishing it there is just a means to an end, the end being you being able to slaughter evil dragons, which is also all up in the Lawful Goodness. Mostly lawful, arguably good, but it shouldn't cause issues.
Why doesn't your DM let you buy wishes? There are no money hungry wizards out there willing to trade a bit of experience for a single casting of a spell to get a nice, new, pimped out staff and help out a good little hero-in-the-making? (joke)Worst campaign world evar.(/joke)

Pergentile

Explorer
A wish can create up to 25k GP of wealth, and costs 5000 experience. 1 Exp usually costs 5gp. So a wizard can just flat out trade experience for money flat out.
Generally I add the two numbers together. 25k+5(5k)=50k. Since the wizard isn't getting the benefit from the spell, so that's 25k, and he is paying the exp, which is 25k more. That is for a kind/good wizard, who doesn't want to be greedy about it.
Its all up to the DM and what he wants to make the caster like. It could be cheap (50k), expensive (75k) or ridiculously expensive (100k).
Since your DM seems to be in favor of you taking the class early, they might get you a Wish for 25k (A wizard with the "helpful" attitude towards you).
The Wish spell would be duplicating the "Dragon Ally", a 7th level spell, summoning a 16HD red dragon. The spell states "This spell calls a dragon." and the DM would then flavor it by having the called dragon be diseased and near-death.
Generally, with that spell, you call the dragon then have to pay it to do a task for you. In this case, the task is dieing, and so you can forgo paying it. ^^

This is just a possibility for your DM if they can't come up with a way to get the job done (the job being your character killing a 16HD red dragon).

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I think you are misunderstanding here. While my DM is ready to help me out with entering the class at a level from 7th to 10th (more likely the latter), she is probably NOT ready to give me a Wish.

And even if she would, I would not want it. I am not an optimizer. She already did what no other DM has yet let me do: Play any of my homebrew things in D&D. I should be grateful and go with that instead of annoying the entire party by going around and asking wizards for Wishes, ESPECIALLY SINCE MY CHARACTER IS A SELFLESS PALADIN WHO KNOWS WHAT HARD WORK IS.

With that said, I still wonder if I only need the Paladin Handbook as a guide to building the Paladin statwise.

Pergentile

Explorer
In the end, it would be you paying X gold to get into the class you want, not you "getting a Wish" since you wouldn't be using it like it normally is. It is simply a means to an end. Allowing you to get a single wish to get into the preferred class is different then making Wish spells readily available to the players. You should also make sure you know the limitations of Wish. It is not a "GET ANYTHING YOU WANT" spell, it is generally used to simply duplicate other lower level spells the wizard doesn't know, or confer a permanent, but very small boost, like giving +1 to an ability score. An average party in most campaigns will be able to get inherent bonus' to ability scores around level 8-10, so a Wish really isn't something to get flustered over, as its not really that big of a deal.
A Wish is just like buying any magical item, its all just part of the campaign. I don't think its optimizing or annoying to say "whenever we meet a high level caster, I inquire as to buying a Wish spell". I don't understand your thinking that a DM letting you homebrew is something to keep you from trying to get the most out of your character...? Of course you should be happy to have a DM who is lenient with your home brew stuff, but that doesn't mean not suggesting ways for your DM to do something that she is planning on doing anyways (getting you into your chosen prestige class a bit early). I was just posting info helping it would be useful, no misunderstandings, assumptions or implications to take offense at. ^^

Side note: What does being a 'selfless paladin who knows what hard work is' have to do with anything...?

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Well, my only problem so far is that I am not sure if the DM has the same image of the Wish spell as you do, or one that I do. Either way...

I guess you have a point there with the side note, but I feel this is getting close to de-railing by this part.

Pergentile

Explorer
In the end, she is the DM. Even without the wish she can throw a plague ridden dragon in your way. The wish is just a way to give a cost to your character, and back up what she does with game-rules, which a DM does not have to do.

By the way, you ARE planning on getting a draconic mount right? I would suggest a Drakkensteed, from Dragon Magic. They are sexy.

100242.jpg

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Update with sad news...the DM has called off the game. She doesn't have time to arrange a game thanks to Real Life...
(CURSE YOU JOBS AND EDUCATION SYSTEM!!)

This basically means 1.) The paladin I had been planning out will probably never be put to play outside some lame RPs on MSN or something. 2.) I am stuck to playing 4E with the only group of players left around my area. Of course, I do NOT want to go back to the last group to play 3.5 and Pathfinder, because the DM is a **** even outside the actual D&D games.

And yes, I did plan to get that mount.

Last edited:

davidacus

First Post
Update with sad news...the DM has called off the game. She doesn't have time to arrange a game thanks to Real Life...
(CURSE YOU JOBS AND EDUCATION SYSTEM!!)

This basically means 1.) The paladin I had been planning out will probably never be put to play outside some lame RPs on MSN or something. 2.) I am stuck to playing 4E with the only group of players left around my area. Of course, I do NOT want to go back to the last group to play 3.5 and Pathfinder, because the DM is a **** even outside the actual D&D games.

And yes, I did plan to get that mount.

Icy, I'm sorry to hear about this. I read all the way through this thread hoping to hear about your Paladin kicking some serious ass. :(

Remove ads