• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vecna: demigod, god, or lich?

Your Vecna...?

• demigod

Votes: 79 31.9%
  • god

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • lich

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • I like polls

Votes: 58 23.4%

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I like polls!

I don't think I'd have any place for Vecna, even in the unlikely event that I ran a Greyhawk campaign. I don't find his backstory particularly compelling for use in a game - it's a good story, but I can't think of any storylines involving Vecna, Kas, et cetera which I would actually want to use.

Outside of Greyhawk, of course, there's even less reason to use him.

notjer

First Post
Vecna... *she* is a badass über-lich deity in the world I play in. One of my character has actual seen Vecna in some special artifact mirror (could scry anyone anywhere, except the God's plain (astral plain?) and it could'nt be dispelled neither could the user be discovered in his act of scrying.

Drowbane

First Post
In my campaigns Vecna is an Epic Lich (not a Demilich). The Hand and Eye may just be myth.

And those 2e Vecna Modules (Die, Vecna, Die... and I think there was another) simply never happened (shudder).

As others have mentioned, Vecna just isn't that compelling as a God or Demigod... but he is pretty much the iconic Lich.

edit: funny, I think I accidently voted "demigod" :p

AFGNCAAP

First Post
(I like polls)

In my current game, I have no use for Vecna. Don't really have deities IMC, as it is.

If I was running a Greyhawk campaign, then he'd be as he is--a deity. More likely than not, he'd probably be the deity of choice for many of my villains in the game (as Bane would be if I ran a FR game). Just a villainous deity that I'd like to link to the NPC villany.

energy_One

First Post
gizmo33 said:
It also makes me question whether you really have worshipped to ascend to deity like status, or if it's just sufficient that masses of people think that you are of deity status and fear you accordingly.

Some schools of thought would argue that that is essentially a form of worship. No more, no less.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ripzerai said:
You're being overly literal, I think
If gods -- the embodiment of a concept receiving power from those who worship that idealization -- aren't literal, then nothing is.

Vecna is a stupid, stupid god. The entire process of his return and ascension are among D&D's lowest points.

jester47

First Post
I like the idea that Vecna is simply a very very powerful wraith that while he can temporarily be destroyed if encountered in wraith form, when someone uses the hand and eye, he begins to possess them. The people useing the artifacts start to think they are vecna because vecna is slowly taking them over. When the hand and eye are not in use the wraith wanders. If they are in use the wraith is nowhere to be found.

This is based on the original entry in eldritch wizardry and the 1e DMG.

Aaron.

Remove ads