• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

Hussar

Legend
Lore-wise, we had official support (or at least not active opposition) until just a few years ago, crossing multiple editions (4e notwithstanding as usual). Supporting fans of previous editions, at least conceptually, was in-vogue for 5e upon release. I don't think being irritated that they changed their mind when their game became unreasonably popular is unwarranted.
Umm, if we're discounting 4e, then "just a few years" has been 15 years now. That's not "just a few years". The kind of D&D you seem to want hasn't existed for a very, very long time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Umm, if we're discounting 4e, then "just a few years" has been 15 years now. That's not "just a few years". The kind of D&D you seem to want hasn't existed for a very, very long time.
5e was a clear roll-back of 4e both mechanically and lore-wise (with a few exceptions on both counts), whether you like it or not. I feel comfortable discounting it.

Hussar

Legend
5e was a clear roll-back of 4e both mechanically and lore-wise (with a few exceptions on both counts), whether you like it or not. I feel comfortable discounting it.
But, if it was a roll back, then you got what you wanted no? Since what you want is a roll back lore wise.

So, which is it?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But, if it was a roll back, then you got what you wanted no? Since what you want is a roll back lore wise.

So, which is it?
I got what I wanted from 5e until a few years ago, as I said, when they started overtly messing with the setting lore.

C'mon man. We personally have been over this.

Pentallion

Explorer
Sorry but with the removal of instant death and other crazy hazards, this will be a walk-through with the superhero level of power that 5e is.
I sure hope they don't do like in Shadow of the Dragon Queen and just tell the DM to level up the PCs whether they had enough xp or not. I refused to do this and when we got to the 11th level adventure, the party was all 4-6th from xp.
I was promised a campaign from 1st to 10th and they didn't deliver. That's false advertising.
I'll be waiting to read reviews closely to see if this time they really mean you'll raise from 10th to 20th or if they're playing bait and switch again. I'm pretty soured on DnD as it is. 5 e is like you said, milquetoast.

Pentallion

Explorer
I sure hope they don't do like in Shadow of the Dragon Queen and just tell the DM to level up the PCs whether they had enough xp or not. I refused to do this and when we got to the 11th level adventure, the party was all 4-6th from xp.
I was promised a campaign from 1st to 10th and they didn't deliver. That's false advertising.
I'll be waiting to read reviews closely to see if this time they really mean you'll raise from 10th to 20th or if they're playing bait and switch again. I'm pretty soured on DnD as it is. 5 e is like you said, milquetoast.

Yeah but Palladium did it first. And probably tried to sue over it.

Anyway, I think "multiverse" is a dumb name for what D&D has, but the zeitgeist has spoken.
IF by zeitgeist you mean Michael Moorcock in the 1950's with his Eternal Champion and Elric of Melnibone novels, then sure, whatever. Multiverse has always been part of fantasy roleplaying.

Pentallion

Explorer
Personally, I'm glad it's not longer acceptable to treat people with dementia as figures of ridicule. Dragonlance managed to be offensive to practically everyone, and that's one that hits me personally.
I'm sorry you were triggered, but Dragonlance seems to have been too subtle for some. The people being made fools of were those who discounted Fizban because of their biased ageism. Like many things in DL (Gully dwarves, for instance), the point is that those who think someone is lesser are exposed for their wrong thinking. Yes, Bupu is mentally challenged. She's still heroic in many ways. yes everyone thinks Fizban has bouts of dementia, he's showing the reader how wrong headed it is to discount someone based on their age or condition.

I think an entire generation had how woke DL was fly right over their heads.

Hussar

Legend
I got what I wanted from 5e until a few years ago, as I said, when they started overtly messing with the setting lore.

C'mon man. We personally have been over this.
So, you got what you wanted for years, but, a few years ago, they expanded to start giving other people what they wanted, and you're annoyed? Yeah, we've been over this, that's true. But the fact that you keep insisting that stuff happened that actually hasn'T happened, is why we keep coming back to this.

1. Nothing in Spelljammer contradicts 2e Spelljammer in any meaningful way. Yeah, there's a couple of minor differences, but, lore wise? Nope, it's the same.

2. Dragonlance specifically doesn't contradict earlier lore. That's the whole point of the module.

3. Yup, it's a new take on Ravenloft. Ya got me there. One book out of the half dozen or so lore books for 5e actually does change stuff. Granted, it mostly changes stuff from 3e, none of which was canon and none of which was published by WotC, but, yup, it does change stuff.

What else? FR is largely unchanged. Greyhawk is certainly unchanged. They haven'T really dipped into any of the other settings, so none of them are changing. What is this "overtly messing with setting lore" that you keep talking about?

Remove ads