• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vecna, Where is he now?

simonski

First Post
First off: ULF DONT READ THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nor any other of you that are in my campaign...

Im running a campaign that involves Vecna and need some information on the desert he is in as in "vecna reborn" anyone know about that or the history of vecna after and before that event?

Anyone know where I could find additional information?

William Ronald

Explorer
Try www.canonfire.com, which is a good Greyhawk fan site. Check the LGG site.

In the Industrial Revolution thread in the In Character Forum, Vecna and his legions were just destroyed. (Vecna should be played as dangerous and a little mad. Let us say he was frightening.)

Darklone

Oops?

In the Ravenloft setting book he is there. Still trying to escape from his island by collecting artefacts.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Spoilers for Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Vecna Lives! Vecna Reborn! and Die, Vecna, Die!
Vecna was already a demigod due to his worshippers waaay back in Vecna Lives! He hatched a plan to become the only Greater God on Greyhawk, through the powers of the Tovag Baragu stone circle. Thanks to timely intervention by Iuz, he was banished (along with Iuz).

He next shows up in Ravenloft leading armies eternally against Kas in his own little Prisoner domain, attached to Kas's little prisoner domain. Vecna hatches another plan (sucessfully!) to escape his domain. To my knowledge, he is the ONLY dark power to ever successfully escape his domain.

He THEN comes up with a plan to enter Sigil (Planescape setting). He kicks the Lady of Pain's butt (sacrilege to many gamers, I know), and (I'm a little fuzzy on this part) successfully uses the power gained to re-enter Greyhawk, only as a Greater God. This is the position he takes in the Pantheon as of the 3E PHB.

Vecna as written makes the ambitions of Elminster and Larloch (or Forgotten Realms) look petty. The only former mortal who rivals Vecna's level of ambition is Acererak, from Return to the Tomb of Horrors, who strove to BECOME the Negative Material Plane.

Darklone, which Ravenloft book are you referring to? The 2E or 3E version? If they still have him in the 3E book, then someone at Sword and Sorcery may be ret-conning the "Vecna!" series. I tend to believe the PHB, myself. :)

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Vecna is retired and living like a king in Patagonia.

Oops! That's the Dread Pirate Roberts. I _always_ get the two mixed up.

Tsyr

Explorer
Lord Soth sort of "escaped"... he was pulled back somehow. It's a little vauge on exactly how that happened.

rounser

First Post
In the Ravenloft setting book he is there. Still trying to escape from his island by collecting artefacts.

Stupid demiplane, stealing iconic villains it has no right to from other settings. Soth was put there against the will of Weis and Hickman, he belongs on Krynn or in the Abyss. Vecna is now a god of Greyhawk, they should sodding well leave him alone too.

Make up your own darn Darklords, don't raid other campaign settings for 'em. Stupid mists.

Dieter

First Post
I thought he was living in a van, down by the river!

Oops, that's Matt Foley, not Vecna.

We now take you back to the non-tangential discussion.

Remove ads