D&D 5E Vengeance Paladin/Hexblade help

HugSeal

First Post
Hi!

I am looking into building a Vengeance paladin with a dip of hexblade to avoid some of the MAD. I haven't played much 5E and would appreciate any help or tips.

The plan is to go 1 lvl paladin->1 level hexblade->the rest paladin.
Fighting style will probably be dueling or defensive, all around solid "always on" bonuses.

Half-Elf with point buy gives the ability scores:
STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14+11015+18815+2

I think I want 15 str for plate. Not sure if it is worth going for 16 CON immediately or if I should stick to 14+1 there and pick up resilient(CON) to even out the stat. That would give me leeway for a 10 in WIS or a 12 in DEX instead.

ASI's/feats, I am a bit torn.
-Elven Accuracy seems like a great pickup. It rounds out CHA to 18 and the effect fits well with a Vengeance hexadin.

-Polearm master is a great feat and gives me something to do with my bonus action. But that limits me to using spears and quarterstaffs (or drop the shield for a big polearm)

-Shield Master is another consideration but it mostly seems to be worth it if I can get some leeway on the rules and be able to do it either before the attacks or after my first attack. With that leeway it goes really well with elven accuracy.

-Resilient(CON) or War Caster seems really needed if I want to cast haste om myself and actually keep it up during a fight.

-Inspiring leader seems to be an overall great feat for a high CHA character.

But that is a lot of feats/half-feats that aren't going to abilities, although with hexblade I should really only need to pump CHA.
N/AVersion 1Version 2Version 3
Level 5Elven Accuracy (CHA)Polearm MasterElven Accuracy (CHA)
Level 9Resilient (CON)Elven Accuracy (CHA)PAM/Shield Master
Level 13ASI (CHA)Resilient (CON)ASI (CHA)
Level 17??ASI (CHA)Resilient/Inspiring Leader

These are some progressions I'm thinking about but I really don't know what makes more sense.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any input.

Last edited:

Hi!

I am looking into building a Vengeance paladin with a dip of hexblade to avoid some of the MAD. I haven't played much 5E and would appreciate any help or tips.

The plan is to go 1 lvl paladin->1 level hexblade->the rest paladin.
Fighting style will probably be dueling or defensive, all around solid "always on" bonuses.

Half-Elf with point buy gives the ability scores:
STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14+11015+18815+2

I think I want 15 str for plate. Not sure if it is worth going for 16 CON immediately or if I should stick to 14+1 there and pick up resilient(CON) to even out the stat. That would give me leeway for a 10 in WIS or a 12 in DEX instead.

ASI's/feats, I am a bit torn.
-Elven Accuracy seems like a great pickup. It rounds out CHA to 18 and the effect fits well with a Vengeance hexadin.

-Polearm master is a great feat and gives me something to do with my bonus action. But that limits me to using spears and quarterstaffs (or drop the shield for a big polearm)

-Shield Master is another consideration but it mostly seems to be worth it if I can get some leeway on the rules and be able to do it either before the attacks or after my first attack. With that leeway it goes really well with elven accuracy.

-Resilient(CON) or War Caster seems really needed if I want to cast haste om myself and actually keep it up during a fight.

-Inspiring leader seems to be an overall great feat for a high CHA character.

But that is a lot of feats/half-feats that aren't going to abilities, although with hexblade I should really only need to pump CHA.
N/AVersion 1Version 2Version 3
Level 5Elven Accuracy (CHA)Polearm MasterElven Accuracy (CHA)
Level 9Resilient (CON)Elven Accuracy (CHA)PAM/Shield Master
Level 13ASI (CHA)Resilient (CON)ASI (CHA)
Level 17??ASI (CHA)Resilient/Inspiring Leader

These are some progressions I'm thinking about but I really don't know what makes more sense.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any input.
I would recommend getting Hexblade to a 3 minimum or 5 maximum, then just get Paladin levels the rest of the way. You get more smites, you’re not as MAD without sacrificing martial abilities AND even your dump stat has a +4 chance to save. If you manage to cap Cha early, Polearm Master will give you a d4 bludgeoning bonus action attack with a glaive/halberd which you can still use both Divine and Eldritch Smites with and Booming Blade is a good way to get all the damage you need to stacking those smites and Hexblade’s Curse. Sentinel will keep your opponents in front if you and Tough nets you some extra HP. Great Weapon Fighting should be best with polearms and if you get the crits off with Hexblade’s Curse, Great Weapon Master is an extra d10 to hit with. With Booming Blade, Divine Smite, Improved Divine Smite, Eldritch Smite and Hexblade’s Curse, that should be 2d10 slashing+8d8 thunder+10d6 radiant (or 12d6 agaibst dragons, fiends and undead) on a single hit, that’s a lot of damage. If you would go Scourge Aasimar instead, you can get even more radiant damage and if you break your Oath, that’s even more additional weapon damage. I’m sorry if it’s a bit too min/max munchkin of me to do so but it’s how I build characters.

Remove ads