Pathfinder 1E Venting my rage at all the people working on 3rd/PF who continued to make monsters that are immune to mind-affecting effects.

nevin

Hero
Honestly in pathfinder and 3rd edition it's necessary to give everyone their chance to shine. But it's no worse than monster's that can't be crit or things that are magic resistant.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Surely there are a few monsters that should have some kind of resistance or immunity to min-affecting abilities, or else every monster and NPC can be jedi mind-tricked.

Having Jabba be immune to mind tricks is actually a useful storytelling tool.

aco175

Legend
1661515524447.png

,and embrace a world where psionics are just magic.

TheSword

Legend
Well it’s not whole classes, it’s just particular builds that focus on kind affecting.

If you want to be an enchanter in an undead heavy campaign then you’re gonna get frustrated 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Eh, if there's an immunity to something somewhere, there's usually a way around it. Frustrated by undead being immune to mind-affecting spells? Take Threnodic Spell. If the issue is the same thing but for plant creatures, take Verdant Spell. Oozes and vermin? Coaxing Spell. Constructs? A bit harder, but not impossible: level-dip into sorcerer so you can use the Impossible bloodline's arcana.

Problems like these tend to exist in order to be worked around.

Well it’s not whole classes, it’s just particular builds that focus on kind affecting.

If you want to be an enchanter in an undead heavy campaign then you’re gonna get frustrated 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's Strange Aeons, a PF adventure path all about freaky psychic stuff. So I played a psychic, and I made sure to take the ability that lets me use mind-affecting powers on undead, since I didn't want to be useless against mindless foes. Well, darn.

I've got magic missile as a back-up, and a few scrolls I can try to cast with energy attacks from other classes, but now I'm 10th level, with access to 5th level spells, and when we went up against a pack of hounds of tindalos, I was basically watching impotently as the rest of the party was blendered.

It was, I suppose, a convincingly horrifying encounter. Who doesn't love hasted invisible creatures that lie in wait for a PC to move up to them, then full attack them into unconsciousness (between the attacks and the gaze attack from the whole pack), and then swift action teleport away?

I'm still salty about it a day later.

TheSword

Legend
It's Strange Aeons, a PF adventure path all about freaky psychic stuff. So I played a psychic, and I made sure to take the ability that lets me use mind-affecting powers on undead, since I didn't want to be useless against mindless foes. Well, darn.

I've got magic missile as a back-up, and a few scrolls I can try to cast with energy attacks from other classes, but now I'm 10th level, with access to 5th level spells, and when we went up against a pack of hounds of tindalos, I was basically watching impotently as the rest of the party was blendered.

It was, I suppose, a convincingly horrifying encounter. Who doesn't love hasted invisible creatures that lie in wait for a PC to move up to them, then full attack them into unconsciousness (between the attacks and the gaze attack from the whole pack), and then swift action teleport away?

I'm still salty about it a day later.
Okay… you got me.

That should have been an awesome option in that campaign that’s really fitting.

Yeah you got doinked, but good.

I don’t even have a suggestion for how to deal with it - other than maybe speak to the DM, say you feel like a spare wheel and ask for a respec.

Remove ads