• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Venting on Sorcerer build

Rejuvenator

Explorer
So your problem is with levels? Yeah, they can be unrealistic. Alternatives are usually too complex or result in lopsided characters. But the level system isn't unique to the sorcerer.
Granted, but all I'm saying is that the OP has a point. There is an issue of plausibility expecting to buy into the fiction that sorcerers need full time hours over a dozen years to do a "pew-pew" power, whereas the adventure itself proves that there is no association between management of sorcerer powers and the fictional explanation that was provided to justify what the hell the sorcerer was doing for most of his life before adventuring.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Granted, but all I'm saying is that the OP has a point. There is an issue of plausibility expecting to buy into the fiction that sorcerers need full time hours over a dozen years to do a "pew-pew" power, whereas the adventure itself proves that there is no association between management of sorcerer powers and the fictional explanation that was provided to justify what the hell the sorcerer was doing for most of his life before adventuring.

The OP's point can be extended to any class -- it's an issue with levels, not with sorcerers.

bganon

Explorer
I agree - the problem exists for any class. If your rogue spent 12 years of their childhood as a street orphan, why are they still relatively bad at picking pockets at level 1? If high elves get weapon proficiencies from a long childhood training in swordplay, why are they completely outclassed by a farm boy who fell off the wagon, went through some rushed training, and killed a few sewer rats?

The general problem is built into D&D - experience (which mostly means killing things) trumps everything else, whether it's natural ability scores or years of backstory, and usually does it pretty quickly.

famousringo

First Post
The adventuring they go on IS the school in this comparison. Up until now they've...uh...erm...
They've been charlitans, guild artisans, sailors, and urchins!

Now that I said that, I find myself wondering...
"Are sorcerers the easiest to pair with any background?"

Yeah, I think so. They just go about their everyday, charlatan/artisan/urchin business and suddenly, POW, the scales pop out and the magic turns on. Great opportunity for adventure!

Not sure I cotton to the idea developing in this thread of the meditative, disciplined student trying to master freakish powers, but there's room to interpret if you want to think of sorcerer as some kind of spellmonk, focusing their inner chi. In my mind, sorcerers are supposed to be more instinctive and spontaneous. Discipline is a wizard trait.

Rejuvenator

Explorer
The OP's point can be extended to any class -- it's an issue with levels, not with sorcerers.
If that's so, why press the reasoning you provided as some sort of cookie cutter explanation and then say not a lot of squinting required? Because I squinted, a lot.

I have a certain threshold for suspension of disbelief, any plausible rule need only to meet that minimum subjective threshold. I can imagine a squire, for example, spending a dozen years learning to become a knight, and then thru destiny and karma, suddenly ascends into a heroic warrior in a way that cannot be achieved thru additional years of training. That scenario meets my minimum threshold. The default presentation of the sorcerer is a scenario below my threshold for suspension of disbelief. And I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm lacking the imagination.

My explanation would be more frank: for ultimate reasons of game balance only, there is no sorcerer PC that spent their early years training to achieve learned abilities of other classes. If it took them 12 years to manage their sorcerer powers, it's not because they needed full time schooling to control their powers. Instead, assume they spent their early years learning a trade like basketweaving or something. They're very good at this basketweaving, but it won't impact their adventuring career as much as their sorcerous side.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
To me, sorcerors have MAGICKZ within them and it takes time to use it without... blowing yourself up doing it.

Sometimes it takes a year, sometimes a decade.

That 1st level sorcerer is the point when the mage learned to not explode casting magic missile.

Imagine day one, zero level, wild mages in training. Explosions, aging, and potted plants ev'rywhere.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
My points are that, for example, a Warlock has d8. Why? Did his patron give him/her more fortitude? Then why can't a Sorcerer's innate inner magic increase his fortitude.
I agree with a post that the Wizard is the "poster child" of D&D. But if they need to make the Sorcerer stand out more than Sorcery Points. I do like the suggestion of giving more skills, thereby making the Wizard a great spell utility character and the Sorcerer a jack of all trades.

Above all else, I would have preferred if they would have increased their spells known to 20 to 25. It's a slap in the face to have Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights know the same number of spells.

Chocolategravy

First Post
The general problem is built into D&D - experience (which mostly means killing things) trumps everything else, whether it's natural ability scores or years of backstory, and usually does it pretty quickly.

Earlier editions had training rules that required months of training between levels. So much training in fact that Temple of Elemental Evil was impossible if you used them as written.

Kikuras

First Post
My points are that, for example, a Warlock has d8. Why? Did his patron give him/her more fortitude? Then why can't a Sorcerer's innate inner magic increase his fortitude.
I agree with a post that the Wizard is the "poster child" of D&D. But if they need to make the Sorcerer stand out more than Sorcery Points. I do like the suggestion of giving more skills, thereby making the Wizard a great spell utility character and the Sorcerer a jack of all trades.

Above all else, I would have preferred if they would have increased their spells known to 20 to 25. It's a slap in the face to have Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights know the same number of spells.

By the same token, I wish the barbarian had better unarmored AC, had more attacks, more HP, more powerful rages. The real question here is whether the sorcerer has enough, or whether you just want more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads