• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Venting: Some people are too sensitive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRSegovia

Explorer
This doesn't really fit anywhere... just venting.

Taking a couple of online courses. Part of our requirements is to engage in online discussions via their forums. The topic was the lack of exit plan when it came to freeing the slaves. Mission accomplished, but what now? They had no employment, no money, no land, no food. They were just released into the wild with the only option being Sharecropping which bordered on slavery all over again (with laws further hindering those trying to get out of the Sharecropping deal). My response was:

Well with the civil war at an end, Americans were on edge waiting for the next answer, "Where to now, Lincoln?" -- Then suddenly he was waiting for Kennedy at the pearly gates to compare entry wounds.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are turning our heads to a shocked Johnson who is just as confused as we are.

Now we have a bus plowing through a field of slaves. The driver has died and passengers only had an idea of where he was going; Republicans took the wheel, Johnson jerks at it every time they try to steer, and Confederates cling to the outside for dear life trying to get in.

I'm sure there was a plan. Lincoln was way too intelligent a man to have over-looked that. But whatever the plan was, it was erased with a lead ball.

... yeah ... some old lady was offended because of the grim humor.

Kafen

First Post
[ zen ] Humans choose to define ourselves. It is what we do. Freedom? Nay! As humans, we impose bridle upon bridle to our own shoulders - be it economic, social, or religious virtues. We choose slavery for ourselves. It is the true face of humanity in its most pure form. [ /zen ]

Bleh, late night Way book wisdom from the 70s aside... I believe that the para-phrase "A person is smart. People are stupid." quote describes our choices as a species. :confused: Go figure...

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Not to be "that guy" but this thread needs to go into "Off topic-land."

That said, I expect she was thinking that Abraham Lincoln plan was something dealing with puppy dogs and rainbows and Utopian ideals. When realistically it was more like: Bankrupt the south (so they can't rebel again) then use the excess labor to drive down wages in the north. Of course, no one likes hearing that (or grim snarky humor) since they all believe that the motives behind abolitionism were all humanitarian.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
1. This is going to be locked. Politics are a no-no on this board.

2. His plan was Liberia. You can read up on it. I also suggest you read Frederick Douglas's excellent eulogy to Lincoln. It is a great and insightful piece about a flawed, prejudiced, and yet truly heroic man. Douglas's nuanced thoughts about Lincoln, a man who, despite their disagreements, he came to truly respect, are pretty much required reading. They are a wonderful alternative to the glib hagiography that usually passes for analysis of Lincoln's thoughts and deeds.

Pbartender

First Post
This doesn't really fit anywhere... just venting.

It reminds me of an anthropology class I took not too long ago in which I had to remind everyone, including the professor, that the Wampanoag Indians didn't help the Pilgrims survive the winter out of the goodness of their hearts. Instead, it was a clever ploy to secure a military alliance with the guys with guns in defense against all the neighboring tribes that they'd losing wars with.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I'm not going to lock this... yet.

Need I mention that discussion of real-world politics is not appropriate for these boards? No? Good. The politics of race is not something we'll allow discussion of here, I'm sorry to say.

If you want to turn this thread into a discussion of how people overreact online, or how what you write leads to larger reactions than you expect, you're on more acceptable ground, and I'll leave this open on that basis.

I, personally, wonder at your venting. While the times and situation you ere talking about were difficult, you used grim and violent imagery - it isn't like you should have been surprised that someone got offended. It isn't like you're a paid comedian, or something, that they expect such stuff.

I have to ask - are you really sure she was too sensitive, or was it that you were not sensitive enough for an audience you didn't personally know well?

Heathen72

Explorer
It isn't like you're a paid comedian, or something, that they expect such stuff.

In the spirit of being oversensitive, or venting, or whatnot

People often make jokes (however grim or offensive they might be) without being paid comedians. Any many paid comedians utterly misread their audience and offend many.

People also often suggest that someone might have a psychiatric condition (OCD for example) even where they aren't qualified to do so - yet you seemed to suggest that in another thread recently (it was the one about the player who refused to engage with the rest of the group, holding back out of all combat, etc) that we refrain from such assessments unless we are qualified psychiatrists. At the time I was affronted by what I felt to be the patronizing air with which the comment was delivered (hm?) but then, I am sure that you are a paid forum moderator, and know what you are doing. :p And in any case, it was late and I was tired, so pinch of salt and all that.

TBH I am not too fussed; I understand we don't want to offend Eric's Grandma, and that the person described in that other thread might potentially arrive at the forums and be offended. And I agree with your general point in this thread. I am just suggesting people are allowed to have opinions, even if they aren't qualified, and indeed even where they are wrong. If people cross the line, say so, but please don't imply that we need to be paid professionals to have (informed or uninformed) opinions. This isn't a courtroom! :)

HRSegovia

Explorer

I'm not going to lock this... yet.

Need I mention that discussion of real-world politics is not appropriate for these boards? No? Good. The politics of race is not something we'll allow discussion of here, I'm sorry to say.

If you want to turn this thread into a discussion of how people overreact online, or how what you write leads to larger reactions than you expect, you're on more acceptable ground, and I'll leave this open on that basis.

I, personally, wonder at your venting. While the times and situation you ere talking about were difficult, you used grim and violent imagery - it isn't like you should have been surprised that someone got offended. It isn't like you're a paid comedian, or something, that they expect such stuff.

I have to ask - are you really sure she was too sensitive, or was it that you were not sensitive enough for an audience you didn't personally know well?

You are on the mark. I'm not here to discuss politics or racial issues. But I figured posting the material here might give me some insight to any misinterpretations or sensitivity issues. I figured gamers who understand imagery so well might be able to proof-read and inform me if I was, in fact, wrong. Sometimes context can be lost when your proofing your own material.

And it also seems you're correct. Perhaps I was a little too insensitive (and, "no", I'm not trying to be a comedian). The intent of the material was to analogize the situation after the emancipation of the slaves and better understand exactly what was going on in the White House vs the rest of the U.S.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads