• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 ver. 3.5, constructs and bonus hp.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Yesterday I picked up my copy of the Fiend Folio. So far I have been quite pleased with the book, but when I came to the golems section I noticed something odd - all of them seemed to have bonus hit points from an unknown source. I then checked all of the other constructs in the book and they too have bonus hit points from some source other than their HD. None of these constructs have a Con score so where are these HP coming from?

I am guessing that this is something new to ver. 3.5, the problem is that Fiend Folio does not mention where these HP come from or what method is used to determine how many of these mystery bonus HP the construct gets. Some constructs have +10, others have +20, still others have +30 and there seems to be no obvious pattern. I vaguely recall seeing a 20HD or so construct with +20hp and another with fewer HD that had +30.

I suspect that WoTC realized how weak constructs really are and created some mechanism in 3.5 to give them bonus HP but does anyone know what the new rule is?

Tzarevitch

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Check out d20 Modern. Constructs get bonus hp based on size in there. Looks like its being incorporated into 3.5

hong

WotC's bitch
Does this apply to undead as well? At high levels, they're positively wimpy compared to most other equivalent-CR monsters, due to not having a Con bonus to hp.

HeavyG

First Post
hong said:
Does this apply to undead as well? At high levels, they're positively wimpy compared to most other equivalent-CR monsters, due to not having a Con bonus to hp.

W3rd.

Dracoliches are positively wimpy compared to when they were alive.

HeavyG

First Post
the Jester said:
Did anyone else notice that oozes in the FF don't get bonus hp for size? (Specifically, the ethereal ooze.)

Maybe they figured they didn't need it because they do get constitution.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
MerakSpielman said:
I'm thinking undead should get a hp bonus based on their CHA score... That's where their fort save comes from...

Uh nope. Undead dont get a bonus on Fort saves because of their Cha score. Check out the undead in MM, MM2, or FF, or whatever and break down the math. No bonus to Fort saves due to Con for undead.

And since FF seems to be a hybrid between 3e and 3.5 (let's call it 3.25) undead in there don't get a bonus to hp.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
the Jester said:
Did anyone else notice that oozes in the FF don't get bonus hp for size? (Specifically, the ethereal ooze.)

Actually they didnt (at least not for that ooze).

The Reekmurk has bonus hp, but they arent listed in the stat block like they are in MM and MM2 (no idea why though).

For example, the Reekmurk (aquatic ooze):

5d10+25 (72 hp)

5 x 5.5 = 27.5

27.5 + 25 = 52.5

Bonus is +20 hp

So, as per MM or MM2, it should be listed as "5d10+45".....weird.....maybe the Ethereal Ooze gets errata or something.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads