Versatile healer/melee build

Sleepy Walker

First Post
I think I would do Eldritch Knight 3/ Celestial Warlock 2.

Pick up booming blade, shield, and magic missile for Knight
Pick up Eldritch blast, green flame blade, hex, and most likely cure wounds (note, still more spells to choose based on preference)
You also get 2 invocations for the warlock: Pick what you will

I would have a low intelligence (dump it completely or keep 10 for RP reasons). I would maintain a decent charisma and constitution, and probably choose strength for heavy armor and melee. I would take the Knight to at least level 8, though not necessarily all at once.

Booming blade and green flame blade eat up the multi-attack option, so progressing to level 5 as fast as possible is not necessary. Both of these melee spells are cantrips, so you can use them as much as you like. The Celestial warlock in you provides decent healing on a 60ft ranged bonus action and pairs with green flame blade for double Charisma damage to one flammable target. You also have 2 spell slots and your healing pool of celestial dice which recharge after a short rest, which means you can keep healing or casting after a quick breather. This means that you can maintain melee effectiveness and heal, often at the same time.

A big bonus is that fighter gets ASI on 4, 6, and 8. This means that you are rarely too many levels away from a feat (if you play with them) or an ASI to increase your capabilities. If you do take feats you can pick up Healer or Inspiring Leader. Healer is a good way to boost your healing output after a battle and, if you have a decent amount of charisma, inspiring leader can generate a nice cushion on temporary HP after every short rest (pre-healing if you will).

It is effectively a fighting wizard commander with a touch of celestial to heal those around him/her. Just add more levels in the appropriate class to get more of what you want. More healing, celestial warlock. More fighting or feats, eldritch knight.

(I've been on an eldritch knight kick recently. Also seems like it would provide what you want. Watch out if the rogue likes to stealth a lot. If so, maybe look at a different class because this one is probably not going to do that so well.)

Edit: Read through once more. Celestial warlock is in Xanathars. Booming/Green Flame Blade are in the Sword Coast Adventurers guide. Both are not in the core rules. Not being able to change feats, and maybe not stats, makes changing the class wholesale not so appetizing. You might as well soldier through with what you have and plan forward, including a new character.

You could also find a good excuse for your wizard to leave," Oh, here it is. That thingy thing I was looking for. Floated all the way down from when I took a rest all those days ago. What? A quest? Nonsense! I found what I was looking for and am going home. .... A quest they said! Hummph!"

Last edited:

Remove ads