• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(VERY OT) I'm thinking about getting an X-Box...

Arravis

First Post
I have a Playstation and I'm fairly happy with it (Vice City, GTA3, GT3, and such games have made it worth it) but the selection of games I like is running thin. I'd love to buy a new PC, unfortunately that's way out of my budged, but getting an ax-box is doable. Halo, Halo 2, Deus Ex 2, etc. have my interest so I'm seriously considering getting one. What do you guys think? I'm just looking for general opinions on the X-Box. Thanks guys! :)

Goobermunch

Explorer
I have one. I love it. There are, however, a lot of games on other consoles that I would like. The PS2 has a number of good titles. Ironically, however, the console that I'm most interested in right now is the Gamecube. While Nintendo doesn't have the volume of titles, the quality on the ones I'm interested in is stellar.

That said, no console has a title as compelling or impressive as Steel Battalion. If you like Mech combat, this is the game for you.

--G

Sixchan

First Post
This isn't OT for the software & computers forum, you know. ;)

The X-Box looks like a good, solid buy. It started off slow, with few good games going for it, but it really picked up once some quality games were released for it. Were I not a complete Zelda-Fanboy, I'd get it. As it stands, It'll be a Gamecube for me.

Mythtify

First Post
I greatly enjoy my X-box. I still have my ps2, but X-box is where it is at for me. Games like Star Wars: kNights of the Old Republic, Halo2, True Crime, and Fable are goign to be X-box only. They have just reduced the price again too!

I won't say anything negative about other consoles. Different people like different systems. Though I dont think you will be disapointed if you go with the X-box.

That said, do not get any X-box games that are ported over from the PS2. They all tend to look washed out, and just arent as good as the PS2 versions.

drquestion

Explorer
I have an Xbox, and I really like it. Halo is, hands down, the best FPS I've ever played. I never liked Doom or Quake or any of that type of game, but Halo had me hooked from the beginning. Halo 2 looks to be even more impressive, but probably won't be out til late next year. Brute Force, while not as good as Halo, is also excellent. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, an RPG by Bioware (makers of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights) will be out in a couple of weeks and looks to be excellent. The upcoming Ninja Gaiden game looks like it's going to be great, too.

The weakest point of the Xbox as it stands now is the lack of RPGs. Right now, there's only Morrowind and Shenmue 2. The next six months should be bringing some strong offerings in that area, though. Pirates of the Carribean comes out this week, I think, the above-mentioned Knights of the Old Republic is out in a couple of weeks, Gladius is scheduled for August, and Sudeki is supposed to be out this fall. Also, if Xbox owners are lucky, Fable, which looks like it's going to be completely friggin' astounding, will be out sometime early next year.

Also note that while some of my favorite Xbox games (Splinter Cell, Hitman 2, NBA Street vol. 2) are out for Playstation, too, they typically have better graphics on the Xbox, and I personally think that the small Xbox controller is the best console controller out there.

If you like online gaming, Xbox is also the most advanced in that area at this point, owing to the Xbox Live network. This isn't something I'm really into, but if you are, it's worth considering.

Finally, Xbox definitely looks like it's the one of the "Big Three" with the brightest future in terms of upcoming games. PS2 is probably close to peaking in terms of what can be got from the system, and the GC has some titles coming up that look promising, but nothing that looks absolutely astounding. The Xbox, on the other hand, has a number of titles scheduled to come out within the next year or so that look like they're going to be mind-blowing.

On the other hand, I also have a GameCube. Now, if I had to pick just one of the two to stick with, I'd definitely go with the Xbox, as it just has a bigger library of better games. On the other hand, the Cube has a few exclusive games that are really, really great. In my opinion, if you can afford it, Metroid Prime and Zelda alone are worth the cost of the system. Throw in other fun games like Eternal Darkness, Super Monkeyball 2, Super Mario Sunshine, etc., and you'll definitely get your money's worth out of the Cube. I think of the Cube as an ideal second system - it doesn't have a big enough library to really be a completely fulfilling primary system, but if you're looking for a smaller number of games that aren't available anywhere else, then the Cube has some really interesting stuff. Since you already own a PS2, this might be what you're looking for.

In the end, you can't really go wrong either way. Both systems have enough really fun games out already that you'll be sure to get your money's worth out of either of them.

drquestion (who loves both his Xbox and his GameCube)

P.S. Sorry about the length of this reply. I got a little carried away.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Heh, I bought my GameCube first, and I do love it. Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine and others are all awesome exclusive titles. I highly recommend it.

I also have a PS2 for my RPG needs (FFX is why I bought it).

But I too, am now seriously considering getting an X-Box as well, mainly because of Fable, and the new Castlevania game that will come out as an X-Box exclusive (at least as I understand it from EGM). Morrowind and others are just icing on this gamer-geek's cake. :D

Oh yeah, and I also have a Gameboy Advance. It's well worth it for all the Castlevania games alone. And no, I'm not rich.:p Far from it.

d3

First Post
XBOX is a good system, with some interesting exclusives. If your interested in Morrowind you might want to wait for the new version, which includes material from the PC expansion. Another game which looks interesting thats coming out is BC, sort of like a caveman lifesim except with dinosaurs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads