• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vicious weapon ability and DR

Falchieyan

First Post
The vicious magical quality gives an unnamed bonus to damage dealt, which I interpret to be plain physical damage when it comes to overcoming DR. Is that the case? So a higher-level barbarian in adamantine armor would have little risk adding the extra 2d6 to each blow?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Falchieyan said:
The vicious magical quality gives an unnamed bonus to damage dealt, which I interpret to be plain physical damage when it comes to overcoming DR. Is that the case? So a higher-level barbarian in adamantine armor would have little risk adding the extra 2d6 to each blow?

Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

and

When a vicious weapon strikes an opponent, it creates a flash of disruptive energy that resonates between the opponent and the wielder. This energy deals an extra 2d6 points of damage to the opponent and 1d6 points of damage to the wielder.

By my reading, the damage from the Vicious quality is energy damage dealt along with an attack, and is not negated by DR.

-Hyp.

Seffbasilisk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

and

When a vicious weapon strikes an opponent, it creates a flash of disruptive energy that resonates between the opponent and the wielder. This energy deals an extra 2d6 points of damage to the opponent and 1d6 points of damage to the wielder.

By my reading, the damage from the Vicious quality is energy damage dealt along with an attack, and is not negated by DR.

-Hyp.

I concur.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads