• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Video Game Inspired Campaigns

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
We're currently doing Mass Effect with Star Wars Saga Edition rules.

warfangiscuter

First Post
I want a Legend of Zelda campaign pretty badly.

But there have been a few "collect the X pieces of Y" campaigns (the old Rod of Seven Parts proto-AP and Shattered Star off the top of my head). So why am I not satisfied?

Because the quest to reunite the Triforce isn't what makes Legend of Zelda games. It's reuniting them by traveling through all manner of incredible locations and beating a series of puzzles, monsters, and devilish bosses that are more puzzle than monster.

Even in 4e, which really should be good at that, never had the boss or adventure support to make it a reality. I'd like nothing more than to see a campaign deliver on the promise of a video game boss backed with the flexibility and power of GM adjudication.

Cheers!
Kinak
OH MY GOD! I found out the way for Zelda boss fights! You have two ways to kill a boss: The beat down method and the tactical practical way. BEATDOWN: Kill the boss. simple. |TACTICAL PRACTICAL: Find the boss's weakness ex: Ghoma battle: instead of just smacking it with a deku stick, shoot its eye when its red to stun it and lower its AC!

Our most recent longer-term (4 years) campaign was a Ravenloft campaign based on Castlevania. Strongly. As in our antagonist was Dracula.

Personally, I find it a little cheesy when it's overt like that. But our DM is a classy guy and ran it as an immersive Ravenloft game. The name "Dracula" is the only thing that was cheesy for me. The Belmont clan didn't bother me, and I'm not very familiar with the Castlevania series, so I didn't recognize other names. So I would have preferred if names had been changed, personally.

Really fun campaign though. It focused on the events leading up to the castle. So actually fighting through the castle was the very end of the campaign.

Remove ads