• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Videogame Influences!

Wayside

Explorer
Now, I personally don't care about some 1,000 other video games. That's where you are being obtuse. It seems fairly OBVIOUS when someone says, "Heh. 4E's a bit too video-gamey to me." Most reasonable people understand quite well what they mean.
Most reasonable people understand that the phrase "most reasonable people" is code for "if you don't agree with me you're probably being unreasonable," which as you well know is itself unreasonable.

(Personally I love it when someone trots out the "videogamey" label in an obviously derogatory way. Otherwise how would I know who to ignore?)

SHARK

First Post
Most reasonable people understand that the phrase "most reasonable people" is code for "if you don't agree with me you're probably being unreasonable," which as you well know is itself unreasonable.

(Personally I love it when someone trots out the "videogamey" label in an obviously derogatory way. Otherwise how would I know who to ignore?)

Greetings!

Oh. Well, Wayside, I suppose you can ignore whomever you like. I don't understand what so many people such as yourself--apparently--get all worked up over someone saying they don't like 4E, or critique 4E, as being "too videogamey". It's a description that many people feel is apt.

Likewise, someone could say--as some have--that they like 4E, because it's "videogamey* or has elements inspired from *videogames* In such a context, it can be used for both.

I personally can see how both could apply to 4E at the same time. That doesn't bother me. I don't self-identify with a particular edition of a damned game to get all worked up because someone critiques it--or compliments it--by alluding to similar elements from the medium of *videogames*

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Kishin

First Post
I personally can see how both could apply to 4E at the same time. That doesn't bother me. I don't self-identify with a particular edition of a damned game to get all worked up because someone critiques it--or compliments it--by alluding to similar elements from the medium of *videogames*

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

No, but you are coming off as uncharacteristically condescending toward other in these threads with your choice of verbiage, as was pointed by Wayside re: 'most reasonable people'. I think that's really the issue here.

Wayside

Explorer
Oh. Well, Wayside, I suppose you can ignore whomever you like. I don't understand what so many people such as yourself--apparently--get all worked up over someone saying they don't like 4E, or critique 4E, as being "too videogamey". It's a description that many people feel is apt.
I didn't mention 4e, which I've neither read nor played. It's interesting you make that assumption, though. I mean, my response couldn't possibly have been motivated by the pure intellectual dishonesty that so frequently accompanies the "videogamey" claim, could it?

Likewise, someone could say--as some have--that they like 4E, because it's "videogamey* or has elements inspired from *videogames* In such a context, it can be used for both.
These later neutral or even positive uses of the term came about as a direct response to the initial use, which was negative. That's why my key qualifier was "in an obviously derogatory way." So I'm not referring to, say, you or Kamikaze Midget.

It doesn't bother me either except in the way that any intellectually dishonest argument bothers me. Just to make my own position clear, this is because I have a background in rhetoric and argumentation, not because I care a lick what someone else thinks about any edition of D&D. Happily, enough people have spoken up that by now "videogamey" has lost any self-evident critical value it may once have had. This thread is evidence of that.

SHARK

First Post
No, but you are coming off as uncharacteristically condescending toward other in these threads with your choice of verbiage, as was pointed by Wayside re: 'most reasonable people'. I think that's really the issue here.

Greetings!

Well, Kishin, such being *condescending* was certainly not my intention. It is simply my observation with both the vast majority of people here and elsewhere that I have discussed this with.

In both contexts,

"Nah, John. I don't care for 4E. It seems too video-gamey*

Or--

"Yeah, John. 4E rocks, dude. It feels a bit video-gamey, too!"

In both such cases, the large majority of people easily surmised what the people were talking about. Occasionally, a brief clarification was needed, but not often. Then, recently, *here*--it's like all of a sudden, it's an entirely foreign concept, so prepostrously alien that some people can't imagine how the two could be compared, and saying that 4E is *video-gamey* is imprecise, and incomprehensible.

Thus, my honest *incomprehension* concerning some people's inability to comprehend how lots of other people--in my experience--could relate the two kinds of games apparently with ease, and very little friction or misunderstanding about what the person speaking meant--either in favor or in critique--of 4E as being or feeling *video-gamey*

All of which just speaks to my experience, and my bewilderment at some people's apoplexy over me using the comparison to explain what some of the critics have felt. *shrugs* I don't understand why several people get all twisted because many other people seeing connections and influences between 4E and video-games/mmo's.

Personally--I really *love* 3.5 D&D. I've been playing it for years and years, and have spent lots of money on it. I was originally quite hostile to the announcement of 4E. Since then, I have gradually become cautiously enthusiastic about playing/DMing with 4E.

*I* can see quite clearly, in my view, how 4E resembles video-games/mmo's. *I* can clearly see how some negative aspects/mechanics/elements in 4E are influenced by video-games.
*I* can also see how some different positive elements--and even some of the same *negative* ones--also have positive and strong attributes that make 4E excellent--and they have been influenced by video-games.

Hopefully, that clarifies some things.:cool:

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I mean, my response couldn't possibly have been motivated by the pure intellectual dishonesty that so frequently accompanies the "videogamey" claim, could it?

What intellectual dishonesty? The rogue's got a double-jump power. That's pretty video-gamey in my book.
Facing off against certain types of monsters (solos in particular) with tons of hit points has often been described on these very boards as grindy once you burn off your encounters and dailies. I've seen plenty of combats in WoW and other hit point inflated games like that.
I've also seen games where the opponents and challenges auto-scale to be a level-appropriate challenge like 4e seems to be recommending.
So, yeah, I'm seeing plenty of things that are highly reminiscent of video-games to me.

And if you aren't into any of those specific things on in your tabletop RPG, then I supposed the video-gaminess isn't a positive thing. If you like it, then it is a positive thing. But it's not worth getting any knickers in a twist or make accusations about intellectual dishonesty whether or not the connotation is positive or negative or whether it's easy to put the feeling into words. Impressions are impressions, may be highly contextualized and idiosyncratic (like for some reason, I always associate "The Breakup Song" by the Greg Kihn Band with reading the Dark Phoenix saga, as it unfolded in the Xmen comics, on a summer day).

Wayside

Explorer
And if you aren't into any of those specific things on in your tabletop RPG, then I supposed the video-gaminess isn't a positive thing. If you like it, then it is a positive thing.
If you're capable of talking specifics then talk specifics. No one will begrudge you that, since for many people the big issue with "videogamey" is that it's virtually meaningless precisely because it tends to float free of such specifics. People can discuss specifics with you, but discussion halts in the face of this nebulous concept we're calling "videogamey." In fact, the only real reason to use it at all is to lean on it apodictically for its lingering propaganda value.

Impressions are impressions, may be highly contextualized and idiosyncratic
No doubt. But like Umbran you're assuming that when someone says "X is videogamey"* they're simply stating an impression, which isn't the case. They're making an argument, and in the structure of that argument the idea of "videogamey" is always given weight one way or the other. Initially that weight was negative, but the argument tried to disguise the assumption on which this negativity was based by being enthymematic: "X is bad because it's videogamey." The unstated assumption here is that "anything that is videogamey is bad," and people have rightly taken issue with it.

To put it another way, "videogamey" was originally just a loaded term used by people whose hat of WoW know no limit.** (Ditto that for comparing 4e to wargames, CCGs, etc.) But since the self-evidence with which the observation was offered has been repeatedly challenged and overthrown, the only way to responsibly claim that 4e is "videogamey" now is to elaborate the specific features of video games you (the indefinite "you") see in 4e and what in particular you find problematic or worthwhile about them. Otherwise, you might as well call 4e chocolaty. (I happen to love chocolate. And video games. So in the event that I ever play 4e, I sincerely hope it is both chocolaty and "videogamey.")

* Whether or not you want to localize this to 4e is up to you. If 4e is "videogamey," though, then so is every other edition of D&D. A double-jumping rogue has nothing on some of the stuff in 3.5e, and it's something any amateur acrobat (someone who does parkour, for example) can do with ease. How exactly that makes it "videogamey" I have no idea.

** Please bear in mind here that I'm not treating all uses of the term as coincident but am acknowledging developments in those uses as some of them have been disarmed by critiques like the ones in this thread. Argumentation does not take place in a vacuum, and the uses of "videogamey" now are sometimes very different from the reactionary ones that sprang up when 4e was first announced over a year ago.

But it's not worth getting any knickers in a twist or make accusations about intellectual dishonesty whether or not the connotation is positive or negative or whether it's easy to put the feeling into words.
No doubt you can tell from the sober way I've approached the issue that neither your "it's not worth getting any knickers in a twist" nor SHARK's "I don't get . . . worked up" apply here. Attributing such emotions to your opponent in an argument is also intellectually dishonest. It's a (rather transparent) way of discrediting them by showing them to be unreasonable and of uneven temper.

Stoat

Adventurer
In this thread alone, I've seen the following elements of 4E described as "videogamey":

Homogenous classes
Emphasis on Grid-based combat
Lack of combat options such as disarm, trip and sunder
"Grindy" combat against solos
Opponents and challenges auto-scale
Aggro mechanics
Class roles

In years past, I've seen plenty of folks argue that 3.X was videogamey for one reason or another.

I also remember the guy who used the term "videogamey" to refer to coin-op cabinet games, and I remember another guy who asserted that the jump skill was videogamey.

Videogames that I've seen referenced in this thread include Wow, FF Tactics, FFVI, and Oblivion.

Any individual person certainly knows what they mean when they use the term, but it's clear to me that different posters are refering both to different elements of D&D, and to different types of videogames.

Kishin

First Post
Greetings!

Well, Kishin, such being *condescending* was certainly not my intention. It is simply my observation with both the vast majority of people here and elsewhere that I have discussed this with.

In both contexts,

"Nah, John. I don't care for 4E. It seems too video-gamey*

Or--

"Yeah, John. 4E rocks, dude. It feels a bit video-gamey, too!"

In both such cases, the large majority of people easily surmised what the people were talking about. Occasionally, a brief clarification was needed, but not often. Then, recently, *here*--it's like all of a sudden, it's an entirely foreign concept, so prepostrously alien that some people can't imagine how the two could be compared, and saying that 4E is *video-gamey* is imprecise, and incomprehensible.

Thus, my honest *incomprehension* concerning some people's inability to comprehend how lots of other people--in my experience--could relate the two kinds of games apparently with ease, and very little friction or misunderstanding about what the person speaking meant--either in favor or in critique--of 4E as being or feeling *video-gamey*

All of which just speaks to my experience, and my bewilderment at some people's apoplexy over me using the comparison to explain what some of the critics have felt. *shrugs* I don't understand why several people get all twisted because many other people seeing connections and influences between 4E and video-games/mmo's.

Personally--I really *love* 3.5 D&D. I've been playing it for years and years, and have spent lots of money on it. I was originally quite hostile to the announcement of 4E. Since then, I have gradually become cautiously enthusiastic about playing/DMing with 4E.

*I* can see quite clearly, in my view, how 4E resembles video-games/mmo's. *I* can clearly see how some negative aspects/mechanics/elements in 4E are influenced by video-games.
*I* can also see how some different positive elements--and even some of the same *negative* ones--also have positive and strong attributes that make 4E excellent--and they have been influenced by video-games.

Hopefully, that clarifies some things.:cool:

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Shark,

I see where you're coming from now, thank you. :)

I think I, personally (I can't really speak for the rest of ENWorld) can't really grasp the 'too videogamey' argument as a result of essentially growing up playing them: I received a Nintendo as a Christmas present when I was 5, and 20 years later, am still playing them. Likewise, I was introduced to RPGs a few years after that, when I watched my older brother and his friends play MERP in our attic. Which eventually led to me sneaking in his room and borrowing one particular Red Box... But, I digress.

Its just that in all my experience with both mediums, I've never really 'felt' like an RPG was videogame-y, even though you can readily recognize influences of videogame/MMO design in newer ones like 4E. Some people may or may not like this, that goes without saying.

However, the way 'too videogamey' gets thrown around, its like saying a band 'sold out'. Its in many cases become a blanket statement for heaping disdain upon something that people don't agree with.

I guess I don't get how videogames could 'corrupt' the purity of RPGs, either, since no matter what happens, the two will never become even remotely close to indistinguishable.

Miyaa

First Post
Whether D&D should feel like something out of Warcraft or Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't my concern, as it would have happened anyway. The RPG videogames used D&D as their template long before D&D would use the innovations from that gaming arena. However, I do look at it from a more of a marketing perspective because it seems to me that is how Wizards looks at D&D, and so I wonder if such a tactic will work or if it will be left to someone else to pick it up once Wizards is finally finished with it.

(And as an aside, I think I would like 4th edition better if the system was more like Oblivion where you have a strict list of skills that you can mix and match instead of a WoW system where the skill sets are rather linear, and discourages one from dabbling into another class. Actually, I wonder if that would have solved most of the kvetching about 4e.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads