Videogames for Pathfinder

CapnZapp

Legend
There aren't Mythic rules for PF2 for one thing, so creating a game with that ruleset would mean having to create it from scratch. PF2 is still being developed. How are game designers supposed to program a game using a tabletop RPG that isn't complete?
You don't need the game to be "complete" in order to make a video game of it. At least not since your definition of "complete" seems to be "an undefined number of supplements" rather than "the CRB plus the Bestiary 1" which I would say definitely counts as a complete game.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Yeah, that's just not a sustainable excuse. (Not directed at you, only the pretty common argument)

There is second thing that I'm personally wondering about... Mostly that changes in 2e would lend better to turn based games than Baldur's Gate style real time that simulates turn based game. Like you can't really represent 3 action economy or added mobility in any meaningful way in real time game, so I think unless they want to make primarely turn based game(and not real time with pause game with optional turn based mode), Owlcat are probably gonna stick with 1e. That and it being "content wise complete"(aka no new official gameplay content being added to 1e) means they can pull from sources and add new ones without stepping on paizo's toes.

Retreater

Legend
I mean there's still boardgames and a MMORPG out there based on 4e D&D. I also remember 2nd edition AD&D based computer games coming out during 3rd Ed. That's just the way it goes. Often the programmers have already started working on the game when a new edition is announced and it's cost prohibitive to change it. Or it's based on the architecture of another game that already used the older edition, so why change it?

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Huh interesting.

Currently in paizocon panel for 2e hardcover kingmaker version, they tell story of how CRPG version came: Apparently owlcat actually approached them with "Hey, we made demo of video game version of Kingmaker" and they were like "Uh, we didn't tell you can do that, but sure let's look at that" and they loved it xD

...Soooo yeah, Owlcat was the one that pitched idea to paizo in first place

Kaodi

Hero
I need a PF2 CRPG so badly. That is the only thing that can sate my need play the many characters and builds I have conceptualized.

Remove ads