• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Viking Class

Shadowbane

First Post
What kind of class would a viking be? After doing some reaserch, I concluded that it would be a ranger w/ two-handed highting. (Longsword and battle axe.)

What do you think?

Bagpuss

Legend
Historically saxons often used shield wall tactics so I wouldn't think two-weapon fighting, except for odd skilled individuals, most would use sword (long knife) and shield, or spear and shield. Of course the Berserker is a common viking figure usually equipped with a long breaded axe, but again they would be odd individuals or elite units, rank and file would use a round shield. Most would be single class warriors or fighters.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I would expect in a fantasy game to find vikings of nearly every class (it's like asking what class an American is).
Most viking raiders would probably be warriors or fighters or rangers. Most vikings were not berserkers so I wouldn't expect the barbarian class to be well represented (though in a fantasy game it'd be perfectly legitimate to have them all be barbarians). Rouges could also make decent viking raiders. I would expect some raiding parties in a fantasy game to have wizards (rune magic?), sorcerers, clerics, druid, bards or warlocks in them.

Most vikings did not have long swords (longswords would be weapons of the elite) but would probably have short swords or daggers. Spears would be the most common weapon. Axes would also be well represented.

Someone

Adventurer
"Historical" vikings would be fighter/rogue, IMHO, with some of them having levels in bard. The berserkers are well represented by barbarians. "Fantasy" vikings would be barbarians or fighter/barbarians.

Goolpsy

First Post
Seen from an english perspective the Vikings were Barbarians..
But as a Dane myself and the studies we have to go through, through school leads me to conclude that they were like nearly everything but Barbarians.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Someone said:
"Historical" vikings would be fighter/rogue, IMHO, with some of them having levels in bard. The berserkers are well represented by barbarians. "Fantasy" vikings would be barbarians or fighter/barbarians.

Bard? Wouldn't that be more of a Skald?

Remove ads