• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vikings D20

Jolly Giant

First Post
A new e-publisher is about to see the light of day. The first product line will be Vikings D20, and the first product Vikings D20: Midgard is scheduled for release as a PDF in april 2005. The second book,Vikings D20: Beyond Midgard will be released sometime this fall. Other upcoming products for the year will include short adventures and one really long adventure (a campaign that should take players from level 1 to level 6).

Vikings D20 is a low-magic version of D&D. The setting will be Europe in the Viking era; but assuming the world is the way the vikings believed it to be. A mixture of true history and fantasy, in other words, but all fantasy elements are based on the beliefs and mythology of the vikings.

The first book, Midgard, will introduce 6 new base classes and a great number of prestige classes, new feats, spells, monsters, weapons, armors and other equipment. It will also have chapters on running a viking campaign, on the history of the vikings, on the viking culture, customs and lifestyle, and on how the vikings related to the rest of the world.

The second book, Beyond Midgard, will be sort of a combination Manual of the Planes/Epic Level Handbook. According to viking mythology there are nine worlds; Midgard, the world of humans, being one. Others include Aasgard - the world of the gods; Jotunheim - the world of giants, Niflheim - the realm of the dead, and Svartalfheim - the world of the dreaded black elves. Beyond Midgard will have all the information on how to get to these planes, what monsters you might encounter there, all the important locations on each plane and the NPC's who rules them. It will also have feats, spells, items and PrC's suited for each plane.

Later books will contain more extensive information on the other cultures the vikings dealt with, the ones they traded with, the ones warred against etc.

More information on Vikings D20 will be posted here shortly.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I think you really need to mention that you are from Norway!! I think that is a good saleing point since you are covering Vikings. Sounds very interesting.

Jolly Giant

First Post
Crothian said:
I think you really need to mention that you are from Norway!! I think that is a good saleing point since you are covering Vikings. Sounds very interesting.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm from Norway. :lol: Actually, I'm living as smack in the middle of viking history as you could possibly get. If you have the illustrated version of Snorre Sturlasson's book Heimskringla (about the viking kings of Norway), several of the locations that got their own illustrations are places that I can see from my living room window!

JimAde

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm from Norway. :lol: Actually, I'm living as smack in the middle of viking history as you could possibly get. If you have the illustrated version of Snorre Sturlasson's book Heimskringla (about the viking kings of Norway), several of the locations that got their own illustrations are places that I can see from my living room window!

I am VERY interested in this! I think about eight people bought the AD&D Viking Handbook and I was one of them. :)

Do you have any more info for us? How many pages is Midgard? Do you have a price set yet? Do you know how it will be distributed (RPGNow)?

Jolly Giant

First Post
JimAde said:
I am VERY interested in this! I think about eight people bought the AD&D Viking Handbook and I was one of them. :)

Do you have any more info for us? How many pages is Midgard? Do you have a price set yet? Do you know how it will be distributed (RPGNow)?

Good to hear there's interest for Vikings D20. Hope I sell more than 8 copies though! :eek:

Midgard is looking to end up somewhere between 120 and 140 pages. I don't know what the price will be yet, I need to do some comparisons first. I intend to sell it through RPGnow, yes.

Edit: So far I've been thinking releasing them myself as a PDF only, but if somebody out there wants to publish this work for me, let me know at vsolaas@hotmail.com - I'd love to see a printed version of it! :cool:

Last edited:

JonnyTuba

First Post
Looking forward to it!

I am so looking forward for your finished product. Was real fun playtesting it!

Good luck!!

Jonny T.

A'koss

Explorer
Sounds like something I might be interested in as well (my homebrew is generously Norse flavored...:D) - look forward to seeing it!

Cheers!

Khairn

First Post
Great News!

I love adding a Nordic flavor in much of my campaign, and this sounds like a great supplement.

Can't wait to read it!

Roudi

First Post
You already know this intrigues me, so I don't think I need to restate that.

Have you thought that, perhaps after Beyond Midgard and whatever else you have planned, you might do a post-Ragnarok supplement? I was kicking around ideas for a post-Ragnarok setting for a while, but my dedication to current projects has kept me from exploring it.

Jolly Giant

First Post
Roudi said:
Have you thought that, perhaps after Beyond Midgard and whatever else you have planned, you might do a post-Ragnarok supplement? I was kicking around ideas for a post-Ragnarok setting for a while, but my dedication to current projects has kept me from exploring it.

That is an excellent idea! I'm touching upon Ragnarok in Midgard and I was planning on going into more detail in Beyond Midgard, but a separate book on campaigns during and after Ragnarok is well worth considering.

Vikings D20: Ragnarok -sounds cool, doesn't it? :cool:

Remove ads