• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vikings or Celts

Celts or Vikings?

• Celts

Votes: 78 38.6%
  • Vikings

Votes: 108 53.5%
  • None or other (explain)

Votes: 16 7.9%

Janx

Hero
Krieg said:
Yeah maybe but the Vikings were still illiterate, brought only death and destruction without implementing a vast trading empire, and only used giant axes (well maybe a few swords, which were surely little more than crude iron bars), and ate babies...and rode motorcycles right?!

*ponders to self* .oOI wonder just how long I can drag this out...

Actually, Vikings had Futhark, a runic alphabet. Elder Futhark has 24 characters, many of which are familiar to the Alphabet.

viking graves have revealed plenty of viking swords.

Vikings are no more cannabalistic than any other european culture.

However, I am certain, that if motorcycles had been invented back then, Vikings would be riding them, while all other nations were restricted to Vespas. And those Vespa riders would be beaten for riding such a sissy mode of transportation.

Janx

Krieg

First Post
Janx said:
Actually, Vikings had Futhark, a runic alphabet. Elder Futhark has 24 characters, many of which are familiar to the Alphabet.

viking graves have revealed plenty of viking swords.

Vikings are no more cannabalistic than any other european culture.

However, I am certain, that if motorcycles had been invented back then, Vikings would be riding them, while all other nations were restricted to Vespas. And those Vespa riders would be beaten for riding such a sissy mode of transportation.

Janx

Sometimes it is just too damn easy.

Agemegos

Explorer
MoogleEmpMog said:
the Normans carved out their territory, but only conquered England after adopting the tactics and most of the culture of France, and even then only after the Saxons defeated a larger force of Vikings fighting in the traditional manner and had to face the Normans without any real chance to recover their strength.

That's the second viking conquest of England. What about Sweyn Forkbeard? Knut the Great? What was their day job when they weren't ruling England?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Vikings for me. I just love those cold dwelling barbarians. For me it all has to do with the climate. I am a big fan of cold climate campaigns (and would be sorely dissappointed if a Viking campaign took place on anything but ice floes! ;) )

Turjan

Explorer
I'd say Celts. I'm a bit bored by Vikings nowadays; we played that as children ;). I won't diss their culture, though, as they had some quite advanced techniques in ship-building and metalworking. There's also much more reliable source material available than for Celts.

Like Crothian said, it was the Slaine book that made me interested in the setting. Even there you will have to cut out that neo-pagan rubbish ("the goddess"), but on the other hand, it's a fascinating setting, even with relics from ancient times, if you just think of Newgrange (3,200 B.C.) and the traces old cultures left in Celtic mythology.

Imret

First Post
Celts. Even modified, Odin looks like Odin, Fenris looks like Fenris; it's a tough culture to both maintain a coherent vision of and tweak for your own purposes. On the other hand, even the most cursory poll of your players will likely reveal they don't know a lot about Celtic culture and mythology.

Plus, for those of you touting the vikings on motorcycles, need I make the obvious "Woad Warrior" pun?

Imret

First Post
tetsujin28 said:
I voted 'neither', as 'Celt' is not a culture.

I hear there aren't really elves, either.

Sometimes semantics get in the way of good game. This is the time when semantics should be packed in a box and slid under the bed until the DM needs to write his next essay.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads