Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The new German biergarten near the riverfront in town is having a soft opening as they try things out.

The weissbier was spectacular and brat plate was very good. The only disappointment was the kellerbier which was just ok. I think they will have three more beers in the rotation coming up.

They're going to need more tables and parking!

PXL_20230818_205645830.jpgPXL_20230818_224028357.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
I was trying to figure out how to work a good acronym out of that for controlling beer and getting nowhere :)

The new German biergarten near the riverfront in town is having a soft opening as they try things out.

The weissbier was spectacular and brat plate was very good. The only disappointment was the kellerbier which was just ok. I think they will have three more beers in the rotation coming up.

They're going to need more tables and parking!

View attachment 292866View attachment 292867

You like Weissbier? Think I've been trying for 20 years but just not me.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You like Weissbier? Think I've been trying for 20 years but just not me.

Hefeweiszen and dunkelweizen are two of my go-to styles (stouts and porters being the other ones). There are plenty of all four of those I wouldn't get again though!

Not a fan or lots of hops or sour (which means the IPA and Sour heavy popularity in the US menus isn't very helpful).

Zardnaar

Legend
Hefeweiszen and dunkelweizen are two of my go-to styles (stouts and porters being the other ones). There are plenty of all four of those I wouldn't get again though!

Not a fan or lots of hops or sour (which means the IPA and Sour heavy popularity in the US menus isn't very helpful).

I've gone off hops. I'll still drink them but eh whatever.

Just bought a couple of Lithuania lagers. Think I like the dark lager more.

I don't mind the hopped NZ lagers either.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The full pumpkin onslaught hasn't hit yet, but here was a new-to-me one in the store: The Left Hand Brewing Pumpkin Spice Latte Nitro. It was fine and I was torn between Solid Pumpkin Choice and Drinkable. I'm not usually a huge nitro fan, and it was too smooth too start. It had some extra spice at the end and the can finished well though, so I put it in the higher of those two categories (see full rankings from the past several years below).

1694284160784.png1694284169414.png

The Sweet Baby Banana! by DuClaw was disappointing. Their Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is an all-star, and I like banana. I couldn't really taste the banana and it wasn't as good as the original without it. Will not be getting again.

1694284136943.png1694284142528.png

My current pumpkin ratings, sorted by the beer advocate ratings (in parentheses) when available (updated 9 Oct 2023):

My Favorites (would order any time):
Cigar City Good Gourd (95/4.26)
Clown Shoes Gordo (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Warlock (89/3.99)
King Don's Pumpkin Ale by Catawba (86/3.83)
Big Muddy Brewing Pumpkin Smasher (84/3.73)
Thirsty Dog Pumpkin Ale (83/3.68)

Solid Pumpkin Choice:
Elysian Great Pumpkin (92/4.13)
Great Divide Pumpkin Spice Yeti (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Pumking (90/4.05)
Southern Tier Pumking Nitro (90/4.01)
Elysian Night Owl (88/3.95)
Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale (87/3.85)
Sycamore Pumpkin Latte Blonde (87/3.83)
Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin by New Belgium (84/3.77)
Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale (84/3.71)
Left Hand Brewing Pumpkin Spice Latte Nitro (83/3.60)
Sleepy Hollow Pumpkin Ale by Smokey Mountain Brewery (-/3.66)
Sugar Creek Pumpkin Blaster (-/-)

Drinkable:
Elysian Dark O' The Moon (88/3.94)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (87/3.89)
Captain Lawrence Autumn Blaze Pumpkin Fall Ale (82/3.6)
UFO Journey to Planet Pumpkin! (82/3.6)
World Court Pumpkin Spice by Legal Remedy (-/-)
Steel Hands Pumpkin Spice Ale (-/-)

Pass:
Elysian Punkuccino (92/4.14)
Southern Tier Caramel Pumpking (90/4.04)
Gordgeous by NoDa (88/3.94)
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (88/3.92)
Samuel Adams Jack-O Pumpkin Ale (74/3.20)
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (70/3.02)

No Rating (IPAs, Sours, and super Hi-Grav):
Kickin' Knowledge Milkshake Pumpkin by Barrier Brewing (91/4.17) <- was expecting a stout... I need to read cans better!
Avery Brewing Rumpkin (91/4.08) <- wow that's boozy
Pumpkin Kerfuffle by Prairie Artisan Ales (89/4.03) <- reminded me of a cider

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Based on their other beers I had strong expectations for the Caramel Pumpking Imperial Pumpkin Ale by Southern Tier

Maybe it's that it's an ale and not a porter or stout. Maybe it's that it reminded me too much of those old butterscotch candies that may have been sitting in the candy dish for a millennia.

Pass. I'm not sure where the beer advocate rating of 90=Outstanding (4.04/5) came from.

PXL_20230915_211719141.jpgPXL_20230915_211708841.jpg

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Bought a jug of pilsner last night at the pub. Think it was 1litre bit not entirely sure.

$10 USA approx fairly average (6/10 maybe) wasn't expecting much. My cousin helped me finish it off she's 24 not as fussy perhaps.

Still finishing off a dozen from previous weekend I gave 4 of them away.

20230919_172947.jpg

This was the best one this week. Heavy drinking for me this due to birthdays. Asked barmaid to surprise me ot a hoppy pilsner.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Big Muddy Brewing Pumpkin Smasher - "Brewed using real pumpkins and savory pumpkin pie spices giving hints of natural cinnamon and nutmeg. American hops balanced with Pale, Aromatic & Caramel malts".

Beer Advocate has it as 84=Good (3.73/5). I think it's better than that. Tentatively in the tier of things drinkable on a regular basis.

PXL_20230924_004046042.jpgPXL_20230924_004121746.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Might be a messy night. 20231007_173548.jpg

Monteith Golden Lager 5%.

Had a couple of these at a civilized place. Slightly sweet lager reminiscent of my 8.6 gold not as sweet.

Throughly enjoyed it. Might gave to business for a macro lager thumbs up gonna go with an 8.5.

Found a dive bar in student volleyball. Lousy drunken students but beers $4.20 usd a handle almost unheard of.

Speights IPA 5.5%.

20231007_190950.jpg

You know it's bad when they're playing Michael Jackson's Thriller and drunk students dancing to it.

Any as an IPA utter pants. Very slightly vaguely hoppy taste. You get what you pay for.

BUT surprisingly drinkable. 6.5/10 on a normal night, heap crap beer 7.5/10. Speights is usually arse.

Now Phil Collins and then Heart are playing.

As always blame the French.

Remove ads