• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

virtual minis: multiple purchases of same creature?

theRogueRooster

First Post
Has anything been stated as to whether the purchase of a particular creature "unlocks" that model for unlimited use (so that we can have many instances of a creature in play at one time) or whether the purchase will allow only one instance (requiring multiple purchases for, say, a swarm of goblins)?

-tRR

Festivus

First Post
Not a lot of details yet. I refuse to buy any as an extra charge... they should just come with your DDI subscription... otherwise I feel it amounts to a tax on the DM. I'll just use the 2d tokens.

Boarstorm

First Post
I can't imagine that you'd have to buy the same virtual figure more than once. I mean, really, that would just be silly.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'll be astonished if that's the case.

Argyuile

First Post
Boarstorm said:
I can't imagine that you'd have to buy the same virtual figure more than once. I mean, really, that would just be silly.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'll be astonished if that's the case.

I'm already astonished that they expect you to pay for 3d models at all. The price point on the online stuff is beyond ridiculous.

keterys

First Post
The online stuff is very affordably priced if you look at _everything_ you're getting. If you're talking only about one aspect, it compares a lot less favorably.

As for paying for virtual minis, they need to be paid for somehow (they're paying someone to make them). How... ie, via subscription price, individual payments, included with other products, broad payments, etc... that's a dicier discussion.

I do agree that you shouldn't have to pay for duplicates of the same mini, as it's not a real increase in overhead for them, but I suspect that they think otherwise (sorta how Magic Online works)

Transit

First Post
I suspect that the first virtual mini will cost full price, and then if you want additional copies they will be cheaper.

I also think there will be "uncommon" and "rare" virtual minis that cost more.

Nytmare

David Jose
keterys said:
As for paying for virtual minis, they need to be paid for somehow (they're paying someone to make them).
This is why I was surprised the the game table wasn't open to modding from the player base. I think they're really missing out on the opportunity to capitalize on the strengths and talents of the community.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I'm going to laugh UPROARIOUSLY if you need to pay again - irregardless of how much - for each model after paying for it once.

Hell, I'm already chortling over having to pay for them on top of the subscription price as it is.

Argyuile

First Post
Nytmare said:
This is why I was surprised the the game table wasn't open to modding from the player base. I think they're really missing out on the opportunity to capitalize on the strengths and talents of the community.

No kidding. All you have to do is look at the civilization series to see the thousands of custom made models people have made. Everything from Star Trek ships to Dinasaurs. Very high quality as well. Not to mention the community generally seems to have a better grip on what people want than the developers often seem to. Not to mention only the first model costs any money to make, after that their free to produce and making a non moving 3d digital model of a 3d plastic model that already exists requires anything other than somebody fresh out of graphic design school.

If I'm paying a month fee (thats essentially as much as a mmorpg) I expect NEW content for free. For my monthly fee right now I can play with people twice a month, use crappy 2d pegs. I get access to 2 crappy PDF magazines and its a link up encyclopedia of other books that I've already paid for.

They don't even have the server load issues that a MMO would have. Can I dump the 2 crappy PDF mags and get more play time maybe or just drop the price? Even with all the parts the price isn't even close to the value.

Remove ads