• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Virtual TableTop

Cryndo

Explorer
I'm hoping you guys can help me again. I'm running a face-to-face campaign, but would like to project the map for the players on a screen. I've got the projector and the screen, but I need to know what software is the most intuitive and functional for my purposes. I don't need the software to roll the dice, but I would like some degree of encounter tracking. I'm using DM Genie right now and it feels dated. It also doesn't have map functionality. Any ideas? My players are willing to pitch in to get the software.

Thanks.

Maptools is a pretty good one, and it's free. If you are going to be digging into the macros and such, it can get a little complicated, but it isn't too bad. Only drawback is that it uses Java. I also suggest Roll20.net. It's web based, dragging and dropping maps onto it is very easy, and it is also free. Interface is a bit more intuitive than Maptools.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Depends how much encounter tracking you want.

Roll20 easily tracks hp, status effects, and initiative; and it's pretty slick to boot. So if that's all you need I'd say roll20.net is your best bet.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Fantasy Grounds is a great program in many ways, but it's mapping functionality is not one of them. If Fantasy Grounds could get the mapping capability of Maptool, I would jump ship. Though once Maptool finishes switching its macro language to Javascript, it will be difficult me to go anywhere else.

Fantasy Grounds is a great program in many ways, but it's mapping functionality is not one of them. If Fantasy Grounds could get the mapping capability of Maptool, I would jump ship. Though once Maptool finishes switching its macro language to Javascript, it will be difficult me to go anywhere else.

Oh, I know! Honestly, I absolutely love Maptools, and I built a really nice, very robust 4e framework for my Dark Sun game within it. There are just way, WAY too many java issues for my tastes, so I reluctantly dropped it for Roll20 (which, sadly, does not have as much of a robust macro tool as I'd like).

Maybe when they go to the next milestone (they are at .b90 now?), I'll look at it again.

Remove ads