Vistani PCs

Sybil? The only reference to Sybil I can find in Forgotten Realms lore is the half-fiend yuan-ti who served as Sseth's avatar during the Time of Troubles.

Kalani is referring to material on Sybil Rasia's background provided in the season 4 adventures, as well as the Fai Chen pack for conventions.

kalani

First Post
I wasn't sure I was allowed to post the excerpt of Sybil's background - but I can confirm that is exactly what I was referring to.

Last edited:

Jabborwacky

First Post
There is a good reason why Vistani PCs are not allowed, but it does involve spoiling something, so unfortunately I can't say it openly besides that it would give the player too many benefits.

[sblock]All the vistani native to Barovia are servants of Strahd, and, due to a pact, all vistani can move freely through the mists.[/sblock]

On top of which, the vistani are not native to the Forgotten Realms, but some other unnamed material plane world. They could, however, be descendants of the vistani. Perhaps some exiled member of the Barovian families interbred with the "giorgio" of Toril that had similar features to the vistani. As a result, you have a character whose blood ties are too thin to be consider a true vistani, but has physical characteristics and a similar mindset to one of them.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I was hoping that half-Vistani would be included as a PC option in Curse of Stradh. No such good fortune, sigh.

If your character has the Charlatan background or an "I cannot tell the truth to save my soul" character trait, you can FAKE having the Evil Eye - stare / glare at somebody and move your hands like you are casting a spell on them. When they have some subsequent misfortune, claim credit for it.
Of course you may receive some unexpected unpleasant side-effects, should somebody else secretly cause something bad to happen in town...

Jabborwacky

First Post
Half Vistani ? The Vistani are a ethnic race of Humans. They are not the product of a mummy Vistani and a daddy Moon Elf.

Half-vistani are referred to as giogoto by the vistani, and its more of a cultural thing than an actual race. In older editions of Ravenloft, vistani culture was different enough from other ethnic subgroups to cause culture shock, resulting in fear and mistrust. The nomadic lifestyle and mysticism of the vistani conflicted with the ideas of god-fearing settled folk. As a result, having the physical traits of the vistani came with the threat of ostracism, and you don't want to be left out at night in Ravenloft. Vistani also had the power to detect others who were "of the blood", resulting in socially awkward situations. Hope that clears it up a bit!

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Just for fun: if a player had a character who was variant human with the Magic Initiate feat, would there be any issue with them stating their ethnicity as "Gur?" Not that there'd be an expectation of a benefit from interaction with Vistani, just that that seems to be as close as one could get given the options available.

kalani

First Post
You can play a Gur with / without the "Magic Initiate" feat. Gur are found within FR, and so are a valid option for human ethnicity.

Remove ads