• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vitality and Wounds

EdwardForrester

First Post
Greetings,
I am going to break down and get Star Wars as soon as I read some other D20 books but I was curious about a few things. Namely the Vitality and Wounds that I see on the sheet that takes the place of Hit Points. I have not been able to grab a book for myself recently so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Also what I am about to ask is a basic newbie question but I am going to ask it anyways. Does the Vitality and Wounds balance out the use of blasters and other SW weapons. My friend when I said I was going to get this said he wouldn't play because he didnt think HP and blasters would be balanced. But our DM we were with said by using V&W it all balanced out. Thank you all in advanced for your info.

swrushing

First Post
Well, the first question i would have is what do you three mean by "balancing out"?

The way wounds and vitality systems work is you get vitality (think hit points) by class and level. losing vitality is no big shake. When vitality runs out, you start taking wounds. Wounds are serious business. Think of wounds as CON.
Also, crits do wounds instead of vitality and dont do double triple and so forth.

Out of vitality? Fatigued.
Out of wounds? Dying.

The typical doublethink is that a "hit that does vitality" is really a near miss and a "hit that does wounds" is a solid hit. The downside to this think is that means your highly accurate and precision shooting storm troopers have no better a chance as anyone else at scoring a "solid hit" since your chance of a solid hit is not dependent at all on your attack bonus but on the weapon's critical chance.

ddougan

First Post
EdwardForrester said:
Greetings,
I am going to break down and get Star Wars as soon as I read some other D20 books but I was curious about a few things. Namely the Vitality and Wounds that I see on the sheet that takes the place of Hit Points. I have not been able to grab a book for myself recently so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Also what I am about to ask is a basic newbie question but I am going to ask it anyways. Does the Vitality and Wounds balance out the use of blasters and other SW weapons. My friend when I said I was going to get this said he wouldn't play because he didnt think HP and blasters would be balanced. But our DM we were with said by using V&W it all balanced out. Thank you all in advanced for your info.

Is your friend concerned about players taking multiple hits from blasters only to carry on regardless? If so, the Vitality/Wounds mechanism works very well.

A player character has both vitality and wounds. Vitality are rather like hit points - the character gets new vitality at every level. Wounds are linked to CON score, and so don't go up very often (and will never be very high).

Every single shot that hits a character has a chance of being a critical hit. Critical hits affect Wounds (of which a character does not have very many). Normal hits affect Vitality (effectively hit points in Star Wars - which go up every level etc).

Thus the game is a bit less "heroic" in that for example, in DnD you could have 6 archers (2 lines of 3) guarding the king, whilst the hero decides ("At most they have 6D8 damage, which even at maximum, I can take without going over the Massive Damage threshold, so I'll just charge at the King"). But in Star Wars, any one or more of those 6 stormtroopers could hit with a critical hit, which on average damage for a blaster, could easily down a character - even a high level character.

Of course, if your friend is worried about having 100 hit points and taking damage much quicker than he would in DnD from ranged fire, then he probably won't be happy :)

Having said that, characters do get other benefits to help reduce the damage they take. Firstly, class level adds a Defensive bonus. Secondly, armour acts as damage reduction rather than making it harder to hit someone. So higher level characters are harder to hit than lower level, and have more vitality (but still subject to the risk of critical wounds).

I prefer the Vitality/Wounds split to the raw Hit Points (though I did steal the lower damage threshold from D20 Modern for my Spycraft house rules - with any damage above DEX resulting in a DC 10+damage-DEX reflex save to avoid being knocked down - e.g. a character with 15 DEX takes 15 points of damage (vitality or wounds), and is unaffected. The same character taking 20 points of damage would need to make a DC 15 reflex or be knocked down).

My advice would be to buy the game. The Revised Core Rule Book is an excellent, jam packed book. The combat rules on vehicles and especially Starships are great. Its definetly a fine addition to the D20 system range.

Von Ether

Legend
Mechanicaly speaking, Vitality Points are the subdual damage system.The twists to the VP/WP set up are:

*The "special effect" is that as VP goes down it represents fatigue in battle and the use of Force powers instead of acutal hits (though that is reasoning in D&D for normal hit points as well, but it seems that few people remember it.) And as you gain more VP as you level, represents a certain amount combat expertise and reflexes.

* Wound Points represent actual bodly damage done and stays close to your Con for almost all of a PC's career. If you don't heal Wounds, then you can't heal your Vitality. Crits also hit directly to crits.

IMHO, I like VP/WP because it seperates the degree of combat finesse that improves from a person's physcial stats that might not change.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I think the best system out there is from Skull & Bones. Cannon Fodder NPCs have no Hit Points, only CON. Whenever a character takes CON damage they have to make a Fortitude save DC 10 + CON damage taken just to stay conscious. PCs and important NPCs have hitpoints which allow them to take damage longer. Cannon Fodder have to make saves the minute they take damage. You could have a 20th level Fighter Cannon Fodder NPC with AWESOME to hit bonuses but still go down the minute a PC shoots him with a crossbow. Basically allows for red shirted ensigns and stormtroopers in the D20 system. I think it would work well for Star Wars because the heros in the movies NEVER have to shoot a stormtrooper twice to make him stay down.

Calico_Jack73 said:
I think the best system out there is from Skull & Bones. Cannon Fodder NPCs have no Hit Points, only CON. Whenever a character takes CON damage they have to make a Fortitude save DC 10 + CON damage taken just to stay conscious. PCs and important NPCs have hitpoints which allow them to take damage longer. Cannon Fodder have to make saves the minute they take damage. You could have a 20th level Fighter Cannon Fodder NPC with AWESOME to hit bonuses but still go down the minute a PC shoots him with a crossbow. Basically allows for red shirted ensigns and stormtroopers in the D20 system. I think it would work well for Star Wars because the heros in the movies NEVER have to shoot a stormtrooper twice to make him stay down.
SWd20 DOES use that mechanic. The three NPC classes do NOT get Vitality points.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
"SWd20 DOES use that mechanic. The three NPC classes do NOT get Vitality points."

Yeah but do they have to make Fortitude saves when they first get hit regardless of the damage done? The main point is to make the Mooks drop like flies in order to make the heroes look more heroic.

Calico_Jack73 said:
"SWd20 DOES use that mechanic. The three NPC classes do NOT get Vitality points."

Yeah but do they have to make Fortitude saves when they first get hit regardless of the damage done? The main point is to make the Mooks drop like flies in order to make the heroes look more heroic.
A typical blaster does 3d6 damage...and average Con score(which is what your Wound Points are equal to) is 10 for humans. The means you do 10 damage...they die. That takes very little with blasters and even vibro weapons, so you don't really NEED to make Fort saves based on damage.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
A typical blaster does 3d6 damage...and average Con score(which is what your Wound Points are equal to) is 10 for humans. The means you do 10 damage...they die. That takes very little with blasters and even vibro weapons, so you don't really NEED to make Fort saves based on damage.
Yes, but technically they still do. If you take wound damage at all, you must make a save of 5 (I think) + WP damage dealt that round to stay conscious. Since the NPC non-heroic classes do not get vitality, if they stub their toe too hard they might pass out :)

Even if they make the save, they are 'fatigued' until the WP damage heals.

EdwardForrester

First Post
My Friends Worries

First of which I want to thank you all for your info. I think my friend was worried that you walk in with low hp and take one blaster and death. But it defiently sounds like the V&W system will take care of that quite well. Thanks again and I can't wait to play.

Remove ads