• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vitality Dice: A damage variant

[h=3]Optional Rule: Vitality Dice[/h]Some DMs find hit points bothersome. A fighter’s high hit points supposedly indicates he can survive a fireball, a troll’s rending claws, and a one‐hundred‐foot fall by virtue of not only his toughness but also by his experience and skill. Counter-intuitively, the only way for him to recover more than a handful of those hit points is through healing magic, suggesting that the damage to his hit points represents wounds. However, he then recovers all lost hit points after a long rest, suggesting that his loss of hit points represented flagging muscles and minor injuries. Some DMs handle this problem by being flexible as they describe damage, interpreting a wound that is potentially lethal in combat as one that can be largely overcome through bandaging and a night’s rest. This kind of flexible interpretation of the default 5e system lends itself well to larger-than-life heroes who quickly recover from mortal damage, like John Wayne shrugging off bullet-wounds to impress a lady or Batman ignoring cracked ribs to return to his patrol the day after a brutal beat-down. Unfortunately, it requires some mental discipline to maintain: most DMs and players merely see the HP pool as a red bar that falls when a character gets whacked with a sword and fills when he takes a rest or is healed by magic. This variant system helps more accurately reflect the kinds of problems a character encounters during a battle that may lead to defeat, namely; wounds and overwhelming attacks, along with separate solutions for both.
[h=3]Defense[/h]In this variant, Dexterity and shields no longer contribute their bonus to armor class. Instead, they combine to form a new stat called Defense. Defense represents your character’s deliberate efforts to avoid harm; the position of his shield, the posture of his sword, keeping his feet, his position relative to his enemies, etc. A character’s Defense equals 10+Dexterity Modifier+Shield Bonus. Any effect that would remove your Dexterity modifier from your AC calculation also removes it from your Defense. As a reaction, a character that is targeted by a melee attack and is armed with a melee weapon or a shield with which he is proficient may add his proficiency bonus to his Defense. If the attack roll is equal to or higher than the target’s Defense, the attack hits and the attacker rolls for damage as normal.
[h=3]Vitality Dice (VD)[/h]Instead of hit points, each character has a pool of vitality dice equal to the number of hit dice he would normally have. When an attack hits and the attacker rolls damage, the defender can choose to roll any number of available vitality dice to attempt to negate the damage. This represents your character's last-ditch attempts to avoid harm when his conventional efforts have failed; a desperate turn to reduce the severity of an attack, a flailing parry, or a sudden dodge. These efforts may avoid the damage, but it was close, and they take their toll in exhaustion or positioning. A character forced to expend many vitality dice to stay alive each round is a character who is hard pressed and in trouble. For each die he rolls, he adds his proficiency bonus and then subtracts the total from the incoming damage. Any damage that remains is applied to his Constitution score as wounds. This is tracked as a temporary reduction from the maximum score, e.g. Constitution: 11/14. If a character is hit by an attack and has no remaining vitality dice, the damage is applied directly to his Constitution. If a character’s Constitution drops to 0, he falls prone, drops what he is holding, and is dying. If the damage from a single attack is enough to reduce a character’s Constitution to 0 and the remaining damage exceeds the character’s maximum Constitution, the character immediately dies. The character’s effective Constitution score is the temporary score, including any wounds. This reduced score and modifier is used for Constitution checks and saves.
[h=3]Recover Action[/h]As an action on your turn, you can recover 1 of your spent hit dice. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1). You regain spent uses of this ability after a short or long rest.
[h=3]Armor Class (AC)[/h]Armor Class reduces any wounds (Constitution damage) you take by an amount equal to your the indicated armor class -10. For example, leather armor reduces incoming damage by 1, the Mage Armor spell reduces it by 3, and plate armor reduces it by 8.
[h=3]Healing and Recovery[/h]
[h=4]Short Rest[/h]At the end of a short rest, you make a DC 15 Constitution check. If you succeed, you recover all of your spent vitality dice. If you fail, you recover only half of your expended vitality dice, rounded down. If you are wounded, you make this check with disadvantage. During a short rest, a character can attempt a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check to administer to a number of allies equal to his wisdom modifier, including himself. If the character expends a use of a healing kit, he makes this check with advantage. For each check that succeeds, that ally regains Constitution equal to his Constitution modifier. If it fails or if the ally has a Constitution modifier of less than +1, the ally instead regains 1 Constitution.
​[h=4]Long Rest[/h]At the end of a long rest, you you make a DC 15 Constitution check. If you succeed, you regain Constitution equal to your Constitution modifier or 1, whichever is higher, and all of your expended vitality dice. If you fail, you regain half of your maximum vitality dice, rounded down. During a long rest, a character may attempt to aid the recovery of another by making a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check. If you expend two uses of a healing kit, you makes this check with advantage. If you succeed, the character receiving your aid makes his Constitution check at the end of the long rest with advantage, and can use your Wisdom modifier in place of his Constitution if he chooses.
[h=3]Case-by-case interpretations[/h]This variant system requires some special consideration of specific spells and abilities. Those which have been reviewed are listed here.

[h=4]Barbarian [/h]Unarmored Defense adds your Constitution modifier, if positive, to your Armor Class, not your Defense.

[h=4]Bard[/h]Song of rest: At the end of a short or long rest during which you perform, allies gain an extra vitality die equal to the die you would have rolled for healing.

[h=4]Fighter[/h]Second wind restores one of your vitality die. At level 10, it restores two.

[h=4]Monk[/h]Unarmored Defense adds your Wisdom modifier, if positive, to your Defense, not your Armor Class.

[h=4]Monsters and NPCs[/h]Any character that does not have a class can only suffer Constitution damage equal to the average of a single one of their hit dice, rounded up, before they are defeated. Their hit dice are converted into vitality dice. If they reach their minimum Constitution, they die or are unconscious (attacker’s discretion), or they use the normal rules for dying (DM’s discretion). Their Constitution modifier is calculated from their temporarily reduced Constitution score.
At the GM’s discretion, a monster may forgo conversion partially or wholly to the vitality dice system and instead treat some or all of its hit points as wound points. This is appropriate for monsters that do not avoid damage but instead absorb a large amount of punishment, such as a flesh or clay golem.

[h=4]On-hit Effects[/h]These effects must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, using the following guideline: is an on-hit effect meant to apply to a character that has been actually touched or injured, such as a poison dart or paralysing grasp? If so, the effect should only apply if the character is wounded by the attack. Also, if such an effect deals damage each round, it may instead sap vitality dice each round or deal an proportionately small amount of damage directly to the character’s Constitution. These effects are comparatively harsh, so be careful when determining their severity. Remember, though, the severity of the effect may need to be increased relative to it’s original strength in order to encourage player’s expend vitality dice to avoid them, helping the effect retain its potency even though the players can completely negate them.

[h=4]Resistances and Vulnerabilities[/h]Resistances and Vulnerabilities are applied to incoming wound damage to Constitution.

[h=4]Spells[/h]Cure Wounds is renamed Rejuvenating Touch, and bestows vitality dice equal to type and number of dice you would normally roll to determine the amount healed, including any bonuses. For example, a Cleric of the Life domain with a Wisdom of 16 who casts Rejuvenating Touch as a 1st level spell bestows the target with a vitality die of 1d8+6. These dice are temporary and restorative, meaning they only last until the end of the encounter and count toward your maximum number of vitality dice. If a target has only spent 2 vitality dice and this spell is cast on it as a 4th level spell, the target gains 2 vitality dice and the rest are lost.
Healing Word is renamed Rejuvenating Word and bestows vitality dice equal to type and number of dice you would normally roll to determine the amount healed, including any bonuses. For example, a Cleric of the Life domain with a Wisdom of 16 who casts Rejuvenating Touch as a 1st level spell bestows the target with a vitality die of 1d4+6. These dice are temporary and restorative, meaning they only last until the end of the encounter and count toward your maximum number of vitality dice. If a target has only spent 2 vitality dice and this spell is cast on it as a 4th level spell, the target gains 2 vitality dice and the rest are lost.
A new spell named Cure Wounds is introduced. It is a level 1 spell and is on the same spell lists as the original Cure Wounds. It has a range of touch and a casting time of 1 action, or it can be cast once as a ritual as part of a short rest. You touch a target and attempt to heal its wounds. Make a Wisdom (Medicine) check DC: 10+the target’s missing constitution. If you succeed, you restore 1+your spellcasting ability modifier Constitution, up to the target’s maximum. If you fail, you restore 1 Constitution. At higher levels: For each level beyond 1st this spell restores 1 more Constitution.

[h=3]Example[/h]For example: a level 2 Barbarian with a Constitution of 14 takes 8 damage from a goblin’s shortsword. He decides to roll 1 his 2 available vitality die to attempt to avoid the damage. Unfortunately, he rolls a 3. Adding his proficiency bonus to the roll, he avoids 5 of the 8 damage. Additionally, his Unarmored Defense ability gives him an AC bonus equal to his Constitution modifier, negating 2 of the 3 remaining damage. He takes 1 wound damage and reduces his Constitution to 13/14. He has been stabbed by the Goblins sword, but it is only a flesh-wound, and though the blood flows freely, his preternatural toughness allows him to largely ignore the injury. However, he can’t keep this up forever. Next time he rolls a Constitution check or Constitution save, he will only have a +1 ability modifier, and now he only has one vitality die left. He must end this battle soon, or risk much more severe injury.

Last edited:

MostlyDm

Explorer
One of the better attempts I've seen at hacking in a grittier wound system. A lot of nice touches, and it's not too overly complex. More rolls, of course, but... They look simple enough.

Biggest criticism after my first read: I think you may have calibrated healing too fast, since the only reason to use these rules is to bring in some more realism to injury. Even the most grievous wounds will still recover in about a week with medical care.

Also, resistance is way weaker, since it's position in the order of operations appears to come after spending vitality dice. Intentional? I might have thought you'd apply the halving before rolling vitality dice to mitigate. After all, the analogous hit dice heal damage that's already been halved, yeah?

MostlyDm

Explorer
More thoughts: getting hit is way easier. This makes stuff like Sharpshooter, already fantastic, even better. I'd recommend finding a way to mitigate this or account for it in some way.

Also, the DR from armor is ultimately going to be negligible; damage goes up a lot as levels increase. And this generally devalues fighter (who has a high DPR due to many attacks) vs the Paladin and Rogue (who spike high less frequently) since armor DR applies each time. Arguably fighter has an advantage against vitality dice though... If you have chain mail and 2d10(+2) vitality dice, which is scarier: three hits that will deal 12 damage each, or one hit that deals 36 damage? At a glance I think the fighter still loses.

One of the better attempts I've seen at hacking in a grittier wound system. A lot of nice touches, and it's not too overly complex. More rolls, of course, but... They look simple enough.

Thanks!

Biggest criticism after my first read: I think you may have calibrated healing too fast, since the only reason to use these rules is to bring in some more realism to injury. Even the most grievous wounds will still recover in about a week with medical care.

Yeah, that is a good point to adjust things up and down. To me, my first concern was nailing down some of the ambiguity surrounding damage, but gritty healing is something I'd like to improve. The healing, right now, is a little messy all around.

Also, resistance is way weaker, since it's position in the order of operations appears to come after spending vitality dice. Intentional? I might have thought you'd apply the halving before rolling vitality dice to mitigate. After all, the analogous hit dice heal damage that's already been halved, yeah?

You are right, but I decided to move away from the analogous interpretation because (to me) the point of this system is to specify when you get physically hit and when you don't, and applying resistances and weaknesses before you actually are struck (i.e., at the time you are rolling VD) seems incongruent. I recognize this shifts balance in a way that may need to be accounted for, but that is the kind of problem I want to have here. I want to parse out when you take what types of damage. Also, I think typed damage may retain more of its effect than is obvious at first glace. For example, if you are vulnerable to a certain type of damage, you will tend to overshoot the VD commitment to avoid that damage to your precious Constitution, thus retaining some of the analogous effect of extra HP damage. The reverse is true for resistances. I'll have to playtest it out to see if we need to adjust the effect up since it only applies to wounds.

More thoughts: getting hit is way easier. This makes stuff like Sharpshooter, already fantastic, even better. I'd recommend finding a way to mitigate this or account for it in some way.

Good point. I'll have to think about that. People are already outlawing them in some games, maybe I'll just re-write them for this system.

Also, the DR from armor is ultimately going to be negligible; damage goes up a lot as levels increase. And this generally devalues fighter (who has a high DPR due to many attacks) vs the Paladin and Rogue (who spike high less frequently) since armor DR applies each time. Arguably fighter has an advantage against vitality dice though... If you have chain mail and 2d10(+2) vitality dice, which is scarier: three hits that will deal 12 damage each, or one hit that deals 36 damage? At a glance I think the fighter still loses.

See, I'm not sure how this would play out. The DR is nice to have all the time, because it basically is a cushion that helps you manage your VD. Having a high DR from armor makes it so you don't have to over-commit your VD, ultimately preserving you both through wound reduction and increased VD efficiency. I'm not sure the optimal play, which is exciting to me. If high AC (DR) low Defense turns out to be too swingy I'll probably end up splitting the armor bonus between AC and Defense, kind of like the old 3e hack. So plate would be +4 to both.

I'm thinking about adding some immediate and lingering effects if you take too many wounds at once, like being stunned immediately and then having a problematic wound that takes time or effort to heal. So the Con damage represents your overall health and is affected by wounds, but there may be more specific effects of taking an arrow to the knee, for example.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I agree that healing is too messy in general right now. I get the idea behind the Con check, but... implementation needs work I think.

You're probably be right about DR being nice all the time, even though monster damage does get awfully high. DR 8 is nothing to sneeze at. But the problem of multiple weaker attacks is one that needs resolution, I think. Fighters shouldn't be the worst melee class at dealing with armored foes, in my opinion. Neh?

One fix could be applying DR only once per turn (like SA, that's turn, not round)... though that's obviously a lot less powerful, it does mean that monsters balanced like fighters (lots of weak attacks) aren't massively nerfed.

Even if you kill Sharpshooter/Great Weapon whatever (I always mix up the name of the feat vs. the fighting style), I'm not a fan of how easy it is to hit people. 10+Dex+Shield is... not that much, for anyone but Dex-priority clsses. I love the reaction parry idea; it means getting outnumbered sucks, and I love it when gritty systems manage to give that feeling. But reactions are a premium currency already, and I'm not sure it's really good enough; proficiency isn't all that high until you get into the upper levels. I may be underestimating this, not sure.

I'm thinking about adding some immediate and lingering effects if you take too many wounds at once, like being stunned immediately and then having a problematic wound that takes time or effort to heal. So the Con damage represents your overall health and is affected by wounds, but there may be more specific effects of taking an arrow to the knee, for example.

Interesting ... I'm not a huge fan of death spirals, though they have their place.

The main reason I shy away from them is actually just that it adds bookkeeping to combat that I'm not a fan of. You get the "Oh you took X damage, that means you could suffer a penalty. Let's just roll and then consult this table and... you have Y penalty, so let's mark that down and remember it for the rest of the fight."

5e mercifully tries to minimize fiddly crap like that. A compromise I've used in my own gritty homebrews is to assume adrenaline sees the wounded party through the rest of the fight, resolve lingering effects after, and keep the penalty extremely straightforward and easy to implement. Disadvantage, while brutal, is certainly easy for this. You could probably institute a simple in-combat stun effect on serious wounds without it taking too much extra time to resolve, and stun or partial stuns are painful enough to very easily give you a death spiral feeling.

MostlyDm

Explorer
I had another thought... Even with huge numbers of d12 vitality dice, I think creatures like dragons may not be well served by these rules. You might consider giving larger creatures some kind of multiplier. Assuming you intend on using them; this system obviously seems calibrated for a more mortal-focused low fantasy setting anyway.

Sadrik

First Post
I think you recover the Vitality Dice too often. Perhaps turn some of the speed of getting them back into a feat (recover action).

You have Defense 10+DEX+Shield

You have DR = to your armor -10.

You can reduce damage with your VD when you are hit 1dX+proficiency (X=HD type).

I would say you could use multiple VD per round.

I would change the VD to be Dodge Dice and have them be 1dX+DEX. Medium and heavy armor lowers DEX, this would give a reason why to have light armor, you can dodge better.

You have wounds = to your CON score.

I would divorce the CON score from the wounds. So that you do not have to calculate stuff as your CON score goes down.

I would eliminate the CON checks on short rests and long rests. Just say on a short rest you can get back 1 and at 10th you can get back 2. On a long rest you can get back half or if playing in a more heroic game you get back all. Recover wounds 1 per day with a medicine check recover 2. Cure wounds spell recovers 1 wound per level used. Healing word recovers one dodge die.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads