• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Vitality/Wound Point" variants?

Errant

First Post
Anyone try/use any house rules for variant Hit Point or Vitality/Wound Point systems?

I'm starting to get annoyed by how often it seems to be necessary to retreat & rest mid-adventure because fights whittle down the group a few HPs at a time.

I'm contemplating implementing a system where Hit Points/Vitality Points naturally regenerate quickly (a point per level per minute of rest/light activity?) but critical hits cause Constitution Damage/Wound Points (1 point per dice maybe) that naturally regenerates much slower (something like 1 point per day of rest or dice of healing).

So, after a moderate fight a PC or two might be limping from wounds inflicted by critical hits (with reduced maximum HPs), but a few minutes rest to catch their breath and they can choose to push on without necessarily burning half their healing magic.

Sound viable? I want to keep it simple so there's minimum paperwork and encourage PCs to push on further before resting without making them overpowered. I don't see it as a negative if PCs are encouraged to conserve their spells on a fight by fight basis either. Yes, NPCs won't have to worry about that, but they've usually got less to draw on than the PCs anyway.

Errant

First Post
Thanks Aethelstan, I gather you mean this thread.

I like your "hurt" status, I think I'll adapt that, but generally your system is a bit too complicated for my taste.

After my first thoughts & some input from my brother (one of my players) I've refined my system:

Errant's Rapid Healing House Rule

Hit Points are determined normally. Healthy characters have 0 Wound Points, every Wound Point sustained effectively drops Constitution by one but is recorded seperately (like subdual damage) in case Con lost to Wounds needs to be differentiated from Con lost to special attacks (for instance).

Hit point damage sustained in combat is recorded normally. Out of combat, lost hit points naturally heal at a rate of one point per character level per minute of rest or light activity (nothing more strenuous than walking with a light load or less).

Every time you receive a critical hit, every time a hit drops you to less than half your maximum hit points, and every time you roll a natural 1 on a Saving throw against a spell that inflicts HPs damage, you suffer a Wound Point. Each Wound Point causes temporary loss of one Constitution point, reducing your maximum possible HPs but not your current HPs unless your adjusted maximum drops under your current HPs. Wounds heal at a rate of one point per day of rest or light activity.

Magical healing of Level 1 or better (i.e. not counting L0 spells) immediately restores full hit points as per normal plus one Wound (lost Con) point per 10 points healed (rounded up).

The Heal skill, applied within 10 minutes of receiving a Wound, can restore 1 Wound point for every 10 points rolled (rounded down).

If a character’s Constitution is dropped to 0 or less due to Wounds he is treated exactly the same as if he is reduced to 0 or less Hit Points.

A character with one or more Wound points is Wounded as suffers a –1 penalty on Attack rolls, Saving Throws, & Skill Checks. If a character is Wounded and on less than half maximum HPs (adjusted for Wounds) he is also Fatigued (can’t run or charge, -2 Str, -2 Dex, etc. a/p PHB rules).

Examples:

Ardan is an 8th level Paladin with a 14 Constitution points, 64 HPs maximum, and a Heal skill bonus of +6.

After tracking some evil cultists to their lair, Ardan enters warily and is attacked by two guards. They land a couple of blows, doing 18 HPs damage, but despatches easily. After the fight he pauses, catching his breath and listening for more guards. 3 minutes later, after recovering 8 HPs in the first 2 minutes then his last 2 HPs in the 3rd minute, he is back to full HPs and ventures further into the lair.

Reaching a hallway junction hears a click as he steps forward setting off a trap and a steel bolt shoots out of a wall inflicting 10 points damage as a gong sounds in the distance. Bouncing off his breastplate, the bolt leaves him bruised (on 54 HPs) and seconds later 3 guards rush toward him from an alcove ahead. Sustaining another 20 points damage while before he can defeat the first 2 guards, he is down to 34 HPs when the last guard strikes him for another 6 points dropping him to 28 points (less than half his maximum) and inflicting a Wound point (-1 Con). Then the last guard lands a critical blow, dealing 12 HPs and inflicting two Wound points (one for being a critical hit, one for dropping Ardan’s HPs to under half again). Before he can hit again, Ardan drops him. Battered and bleeding, Ardan is left with 16 HPs and he has sustained 3 Wound Points. Casting his only Cure Light Wounds spell (for 1d8+5 HPs), Ardan heals 11 HPs (on a roll of 6+5) and 1 Wound Point. Then he uses his Lay On Hands ability to cure another 16 HPs and healing the last 2 Wound Points. Back to 43 HPs, gets two minutes rest, recovering another 16 HPs (back to 59 HPs) before he hears a door open and another figure steps into view at the end of the hall, the evil priest leading the cultists.

The evil priest reads from a scroll and hurls a Flame Strike at Ardan, rolling a 1 on his saving throw, the paladin takes 42 HPs damage and 2 Wound Points (one for being dropped to less than half & one for rolling a 1 on his save), leaving him with 17 HPs. Hurting badly, Ardan quaffs his Potion of Cure Moderate (2d8+10 healing), recovering 20 HPs and both Wound Points as the priest draws a mace and closes in. On 37 HPs, all of his healing magic gone, Ardan smites his opponent and it is the priest’s turn to hurt. The priest strikes Ardan for 9 points, inflicting another wound point (dropped to under half again), then two critical hits, inflicting 24 HPs damage and 4 more Wound Points but Ardan is triumphant and it is the priest that falls. Down to 6 HPs, with 5 Wound Points (-5 Con), Ardan uses his Heal skill to treat his wounds. Rolling a 12, he scores 21 on his Heal skill check, curing 2 Wound Points. He then spends 10 minutes searching the guards and the fallen priest looking for clues as to who is behind their activities. Still suffering from 3 Wound Points (-3 Con) his HPs heal back to a reduced maximum of 56. Limping, he finds what he sought and heads back to town, luckily facing no more opposition on the way.

With luck, Ardan or someone else with a good Heal skill can cure his 3 remaining Wound points in a few days (1 point per day of rest minimum, 2 points per day on a successful long-term-care Heal check). To be ready for action, Ardan chooses to use his Lay On Hands and another Cure Light Wounds spell to be back to full fitness the next day.

I think its simple enough to keep track of without too much paperwork but still lets PCs get back in the action quicker without expending too much magical healing between fights.

[edit - clarified effect of reduced Con on current HPs, adjusted magical healing effects]

Last edited:

Nine Hands

Explorer
We use Vitality/Wounds mostly normally (out of Unearthed Arcana) with the following exceptions....

First, you gain a bonus number of Wounds equal to 1/2 your level rounded down. This pads the wound total slightly.

Second, you are staggered (1 move or standard action per round) at 0 to -9 wounds. Dying at -10 to -19 and dead at -20 and beyond. While the math is a little difficult up front, its not an issue in game much.

Also we use aciton dice (pretty similar to the way Spycraft handles them), with a slightly smaller die size progression. To activate a critcal against a NAMED foe, requires an action die and no reroll of the critical threat. Against mooks, its crit happy land, no action die cost, but requires a confirmation roll.

Its worked pretty well for our group and the styles of battles we run (which tend to be small scale with either big huge monsters OR lots of little things to squish.

I also tweaked the rules for wounds and exhaustion/fatigue. Its too much math to recalculate STR and DEX, so I impose a -1 penalty to all rolls (EVERYTHING) when fatigued and a -3 penalty when exhausted. Seems to work a little better.

Aethelstan

First Post
Errant, a few comments on your system. The rapid natural healing rules combined with "cure-all" magical healing really take the sting out of HP damage. Every low level PCs will be able to easily bound back from fights. Cure light wounds is now nearly as effective as the high level spell Heal. If you are going for a high cimenatic feel (ex. Hong Kong martial arts movies) for your game, these rules might be ok. IMHO, these rules greatly reduce the danger level for PCs and will make standard adventures less challenging.

Errant

First Post
Thanks Aethelstan, cinematic is exactly the style I'm aiming for. Note that while completing a dungeon faster will be easier, individual fights will be largely unaffected - unless you're carrying wounds from previous fights that is. In twenty odd years of gaming I don't know that any group been in or DM'd has ever had minutes of rest time in any battle, so each individual battle will be just as risky, maybe even more so since they may be carrying wounds, and the spell casters will have to conserve spells or they'll be the reason parties pull back before clearing the dungeon.

Retreating mid-dungeon may be ok if its a static environment, but its bad news if the dungeon denizens are organised enough to prepare for repeat visits. In my campaign, if you give up the advantage of surprise and give your enemies time to prepare you WILL pay the price. But that's a whole new thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads