• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Volo's First Review Says "Worth every gold piece"

The first review of Volo's Guide to Monsters has appeared! The Arcana Times was able to purchase the book yesterday, and reports that "All in all this is a great publication from WOTC and worth every gold piece. The writing and art are superb, but the biggest selling point is the shear amount of information and how it is presented. I think it is definitely worth shelling out 50 bucks for." It doesn't include a lot of new information not already out there in the many previews at this stage, but it mentions new Quirks and Obsessions and a couple of challenge ratings (0 for the cranium rat and 22 for the mind flayer lich); plus, apparently, a good appendix listing monsters by type, challenge and environment. Thanks to Atsur for the scoop.

The first review of Volo's Guide to Monsters has appeared! The Arcana Times was able to purchase the book yesterday, and reports that "All in all this is a great publication from WOTC and worth every gold piece. The writing and art are superb, but the biggest selling point is the shear amount of information and how it is presented. I think it is definitely worth shelling out 50 bucks for." It doesn't include a lot of new information not already out there in the many previews at this stage, but it mentions new Quirks and Obsessions and a couple of challenge ratings (0 for the cranium rat and 22 for the mind flayer lich); plus, apparently, a good appendix listing monsters by type, challenge and environment. Thanks to Atsur for the scoop.

See the full review here. Check out all the various previews here. Review the book yourself here.

volo_monsters.jpg

Dkamanus

First Post
Of all books up until now after the 3 core ones, THIS is the one I'm the most excited for.

Got all official books, don't read much into the advetures (don't want to spoil them) and these kind of books are the best. SCAG was all right (good sourcebook, but not superb), but this really seems to be the best.

Good job WotC, keep it up.

delericho

Legend
I'm always incredibly impressed by people who buy a book one day and manage to have read it and given it due consideration in time to offer a review the next day.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I'm always incredibly impressed by people who buy a book one day and manage to have read it and given it due consideration in time to offer a review the next day.

I totally agree!

I was thinking of doing a review on Curse of Strahd . . . I've been DMing it for the last 6 months!

That being said, I guess the excitement is part of our quirky hobby and someone had to be first! I wouldn't put too much stock in such an early review. The people who were going to buy it still are after all.
;)

Henry

Autoexreginated

Two things to keep in mind:

1) It IS a monster book, so it can be dissected a bit more quickly than a book of extra rules material.

2) These days, a reviewer (and other online journalist-types) feels unbelievable time pressure; wait one day, and your review becomes old news because three otherpeople have beat you to the punch, even if your review is more thorough. It's really unfortunate that rep as a solid reviewer seems to mean nothing any more.

delericho

Legend
1) It IS a monster book, so it can be dissected a bit more quickly than a book of extra rules material.

Well, it's about a third of a monster book. Roughly two thirds of it appears to be either extra rules material or extra 'lore' material that would also require more attention for a proper dissection.

2) These days, a reviewer (and other online journalist-types) feels unbelievable time pressure;

This argument I do have a lot more sympathy with - I'm no stranger to unreasonable time pressures, and they do indeed suck. It's just a shame that the need for quick reviews means that their utility is so compromised.

dave2008

Legend

Not sure he/she gave it what you call "due consideration," they mentioned it was only a quick review.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Would much prefer a "First Glance" followed by an "in Depth" a few weeks later

Looks like you have the first half of your wish - that looks like a decent first glance. I'm sure you'll see lots of in-depth reviews in the coming weeks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads