D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

I am disappointed by Volo's Guide to Monsters, but for a reason that may be atypical.

The fluff sections are good for what they were, but I didn't need them at all and they took up about half of the book. I have been playing for long enough that I already know how goblinoids function and structure themselves as a society. I didn't need that information (and other information like it) again.

The monster sections, including the bits expanding on established monsters like kobolds with new types of adversaries (kobold alchemist, etc) were great! I really wanted 5E conversions for monsters like the Froghemoth and the Annis.

But I didn't want to have to pay for a whole book that I am only going to use half of. I feel like I paid money for a whole book of monsters and only got a half a book of monsters, and another half book of fluff I didn't need or want. And I was forced to do this unless I wanted to do without the monster conversions, that I really did want.

Just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

I knew pretty much exactly what to expect out of the book before I got it, and I quite like it. Nowadays I always research a product thoroughly before buying, and am rarely surprised when I get it.

Remove ads