• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vow of Poverty and Epic Levels

Artoomis

First Post
I'd like opinions on how Vow of Poverty will work with epic levels,

Will more Exalted feats be gained? Of course, the number of feats available will quickly be used up.

Will enhanced boses to stat continue to climb?

Exalted bonus to AC?

Natural AC?

Other bonuses? (DR)

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
In order to give Vow of Poverty the same level of power in epic levels that it enjoys in pre-epic play, I think it should grant bonus epic feats (instead of exalted feats, since those will be all but used up) and should continue stat and DR increases, as well as all forms of AC bonuses.

Delemental

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
In order to give Vow of Poverty the same level of power in epic levels that it enjoys in pre-epic play, I think it should grant bonus epic feats (instead of exalted feats, since those will be all but used up) and should continue stat and DR increases, as well as all forms of AC bonuses.

I'd mostly agree, but I think one bonus epic feat every other level is way too much. I'd let the other bonuses improve as normal, but cut the bonus feats down to one every four epic levels at best.

James McMurray

First Post
In my game we let everything continue on a fixed rate. Many of these rates an be extrapolated from the table, some have been slightly tweaked to make sure that no level is over-loaded. The bonus Exalted feats continue to accrue. Also other benefits are gained as well: a slow progression of fortification (culminating at 100% fort. at 40th level), immunity to enhchantment and Mind Affecting spells, etc.

No bonus Epic feats are gained, because a) oP is meant to replace gear, and there is very little gear that grants epic feats and 2) spending one non-epic feat and one epic feat to gain a lot of epc feats is just not something we wanted to do.

I wish I could find the sheet that I wrote the full progression on (as does my player). :( I'll have to rewrite it during the week, and I'll post it here for perusal and tweakage. :)

Artoomis

First Post
James McMurray said:
...progression of fortification (culminating at 100% fort. at 40th level)...

...I wish I could find the sheet that I wrote the full progression on (as does my player). :( I'll have to rewrite it during the week, and I'll post it here for perusal and tweakage. :)

Fortification? Did I miss that? I don't recall any Fortification from the Vow of Poverty.

As for the second, your progession list would be great. I think we'd ned some new Exalted feats - perhaps even some Epic Exalted feats.

James McMurray

First Post
There is no fortification in the original feat. The fortification is part of the Epic Vow of Poverty [Exalted] feat that my group uses. The normal VoP hd many things that were nice benefits, but that were not progressable. Simply reducing its Epic version to just being an extrapolation of the numerical bonuses will prevent it from being useful at epic levels, because you will forver be behind in power levels.

My party's monk is about even in power. He deals less damage but has a higher AC. His lack of fortification (he's nowhere near 40th level right now) is what killed him the one time he died. Being flanked by two epic assassins and not being immune to sneak attacks is a bitch. :)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Delemental said:
I'd mostly agree, but I think one bonus epic feat every other level is way too much. I'd let the other bonuses improve as normal, but cut the bonus feats down to one every four epic levels at best.

*blink*

Remove ads