• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

VTT beta feedback?

Nathal

Explorer
I'm surprised I see little feedback from the ongoing VTT beta users.

Any positive experiences so far? It would have to be really rich and well integrated with the DDI experience to best programs like Fantasy Grounds. The only drawback to other VTTs is that it takes more prep for systems that are not directly supported.

I've had a long history of buying electronic aids for D&D. I had the Core Rules CD for 2nd Edition. I awaited and was disappointed by Master Tools. I would have signed up with DDI if it had integrated real-time online gaming in the first place, so I'm watching carefully.

Aulirophile

First Post
It works, for the most part, but until they get integration going with their other tools it offers nothing that other tools don't.... and those tools are superior.

Several issues arise of course, not least the fact the tools they want to integrate are riddled with bugs that may carry over into the VTT.

Definitely still in the "Wait and See" phase when it comes to the VTT. It could end up being really good, it could be garbage, or it could be somewhere inbetween (which would make it worse then currently available tools that are free, which will make it a non-starter financially).

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I'm surprised I see little feedback from the ongoing VTT beta users.

Any positive experiences so far? It would have to be really rich and well integrated with the DDI experience to best programs like Fantasy Grounds. The only drawback to other VTTs is that it takes more prep for systems that are not directly supported.

I've had a long history of buying electronic aids for D&D. I had the Core Rules CD for 2nd Edition. I awaited and was disappointed by Master Tools. I would have signed up with DDI if it had integrated real-time online gaming in the first place, so I'm watching carefully.

Until there is integration between the Character Builder and the Adventure Tools there really is not much more us Beta testers can do.

It has been a fun tool to play around with but without the integration we are kind of at an impasse.

samursus

Explorer
I play 2-3 games per week on VTT. Its fairly useful as is, but the integration is necessary to make it start to be a contender. The abilty to import images for maps and tokens is also necessary I believe. With the chat feature coming soon (knock on wood) I am quite optimistic is will be the go-to option for playing 4e online. It may not have all the functions of some of the others, but out of the box I believe the learning curve will be an order of magnitude easier. Plus a whole network of 4e players good to go. (All my games are pick-up games with people I have met through the forums)

Nathal

Explorer
That is encouraging. I don't play any table-top games now, due to an incompatible schedule. BUt the VTT could change that, especially with a built-in network. All of my friends are far, far apart. So the Wizards community is probably my best best for playing at odd hours of the night in my PJs :)

I just don't like chat-based or Play By Post. So I've got my fingers crossed.

I play 2-3 games per week on VTT. Its fairly useful as is, but the integration is necessary to make it start to be a contender. The abilty to import images for maps and tokens is also necessary I believe. With the chat feature coming soon (knock on wood) I am quite optimistic is will be the go-to option for playing 4e online. It may not have all the functions of some of the others, but out of the box I believe the learning curve will be an order of magnitude easier. Plus a whole network of 4e players good to go. (All my games are pick-up games with people I have met through the forums)

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
It's solid but still misses the killer apps. Now that CB and AT are both online, i hope we'll see integration soon.
There is a solid foundation here, but nothing yet that will convince people with established Maptool games to think about changing.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
What everyone else said is spot-on. The Virtual Table works okay for what it is (a program in beta), but there are better tools out there (MapTool, MapTool, MapTool! And yes, some others.). Once it gets full integration with Character Builder and Monster Builder as well as image import, then it could have some serious advantages over the other systems for 4e DMs and players. Until then, there's no real reason to use it over the better systems that exist.

[MENTION=1809]Nathal[/MENTION]: Just to be clear, you can ALREADY play D&D online with your friends using a free program like, I don't know, MapTool! This is the main focus of my blog. It's not that hard to do if you have a DM who's willing to get in there and work with the technology. I highly recommend it!

moxcamel

Explorer
I recently saw it demo'd on Youtube, and it seems to be *really* slow. And maybe they'll have that worked out by release, but it was almost maddening watching the guy demo it. (could have been his rig too, but I don't think it was) Features look cool enough though, I can't think of anything critical off the top of my head that it seems to be missing.

Kudos for WotC for making it a web-based app so it's supported on multiple platforms though. I know a lot of people were unhappy about the loss of the whole 3D thing, but honestly I think it would have gotten kind of annoying after the initial novelty wore off anyway. Give me 2D any day of the week that ends in y. If WotC pull this off, the loooooooong wait could actually pay off.

If it turns out to be a killer app, I might switch, but right now I'm sure loving d20 Pro. If you don't mind paying a reasonable license fee, it's great. Maptool's good too, with the added benefit that it's free. I also liked Fantasy Grounds II.

Nathal

Explorer
Online DM, has Maptools gotten a bit more "Plug and Play" with it's Port Forwarding? I remember having some trouble with that...like it just didn't work. I don't want to put my server computer into the router's "DMZ" to play. That's one of the reasons I like the web-based idea.

samursus

Explorer
I recently saw it demo'd on Youtube, and it seems to be *really* slow. And maybe they'll have that worked out by release, but it was almost maddening watching the guy demo it. (could have been his rig too, but I don't think it was) .

I don't doubt what you saw, but so far the speed for me has been fine. And I am consistently playing with players from Europe and Australia (I'm in Canada) with no real lag issues.

Really slow performance has not been the norm in my experience.

Remove ads