• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vulnerabilities and Insubstantial

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
If you have a creature that is Insubstantial and has Vulnerable 5 Radiant is the Radiant damage halved or is it full on?

A) You hit with a power that does radiant damage for 15 damage so 15/2 + 5 radiant= 12 radiant damage
B) You hit with a power that does radiant damage for 15 damage so 15+5 radiant/2 = 10 radiant damage

Not a big damage difference but if its vulnerable 10 it changes it to 15/2 + 10 = 17 or 15+10/2 = 12

Last edited:

Oompa

First Post
If you have a creature that is Insubstantial and has Vulnerable 5 Radiant is the Radiant damage halved or is it full on?

i.e you use an attack power that does radiant damage and your rolls and bonuses give you 15 damage. So is it 15/2 + 5 = 12 radiant damage or is it 15+5/2 = 10 radiant damage?

Not a big damage difference but if its vulnerable 10 it changes it to 15/2 + 10 = 17 or 15+10/2 = 12

I would say it is normal damage + vulnerable and divide that by 2..

castro3nw

First Post
I always assumed it was normal damage divided by 2, then add on the vulnerable.

I can't really find a rule that says specifically either way though. Maybe someone with stronger search-fu can help?

Chris Knapp

First Post
I believe there was a similar thread a week ago and the consensus was that vulnerabilities are applied AFTER normal damage is calculated and applied; you actually have to be damaged first before the vulnerability kicks in.
So it would be (normal radiant damage / 2) + 5.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would apply the insubstantial halving last.

On a related issue I would apply weakened condition first.

So 5 damage vs radiant 5 vulnerable = 10 damage.

Weakened = 7 damage

vs Insubstantial = 5 damage.

Weakened vs insubstantial = 3 damage.

(Insubstantial creatures typically have half the hit points of normal creatures, I don't want to effectively double their vulnerability to radiant. You might, of course. I think it works well doing the insubstantial halving last)

Cheers

Back when I was working on one of my earliest 4E assignments, I asked the folks at WotC this exact question.

I was told that insubstantial halves everything, including damage from vulnerability. So Oompa has it right.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Back when I was working on one of my earliest 4E assignments, I asked the folks at WotC this exact question.

I was told that insubstantial halves everything, including damage from vulnerability. So Oompa has it right.

So, addition before division, huh? :)

Gotcha.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads