• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wachowski Bros.: Roleplayers? (Kult/Matrix)

theodudek

First Post
Hello everybody,

I was thinking about the old RPG "Kult" the other day and I was reminded of a rumor a friend told me, that the Wachowski Bros. used to post on the KULT listserv way back in the '90s. I wrote a little bit about it here:

Theo Dudek, Ultimate Game Master » Unearthed: Kult

The idea that "The Matrix" is influenced by "Kult" seems really strong to me. I wonder if the Wachowski Bros. could be convinced to write a blurb or introduction if Kult ever comes out with a new edition... -_-

Thanks for reading!!

Scribble

First Post
Hello everybody,

I was thinking about the old RPG "Kult" the other day and I was reminded of a rumor a friend told me, that the Wachowski Bros. used to post on the KULT listserv way back in the '90s. I wrote a little bit about it here:

Theo Dudek, Ultimate Game Master » Unearthed: Kult

The idea that "The Matrix" is influenced by "Kult" seems really strong to me. I wonder if the Wachowski Bros. could be convinced to write a blurb or introduction if Kult ever comes out with a new edition... -_-

Thanks for reading!!

Hrmm... Anything is possible, but I think you're seeing similarities simply because both were inspired by similar source material. In particular, that of the Gnostic philosophies.

Vartan

First Post
The first time I saw The Matrix I was wondering whether or not White Wolf was considering a lawsuit because the film felt so much--both aesthetically and conceptually--like Mage: The Ascension.

Jhaelen

First Post
The first time I saw The Matrix I was wondering whether or not White Wolf was considering a lawsuit because the film felt so much--both aesthetically and conceptually--like Mage: The Ascension.
Hah! I already wondered if I was the only one who thought so :)

Scorpio616

First Post
Hrmm... Anything is possible, but I think you're seeing similarities simply because both were inspired by similar source material. In particular, that of the Gnostic philosophies.
I think part of the similarity OP was getting at was how the lives of normal people caught in the matrix and too old to be freed, had no meaning, to be killed at a character's convenience. With no way out, they can't be saved. Indeed killing them was beneficial to the characters to keep Agents from having available vessels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads