• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Waibel's Rule of Interpretation (aka "How to Interpret the Rules")

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say! :eek::cool::p The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere. :lol: heheheh. [Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say!
:eek::cool::p
The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere.
:lol:
heheheh.

[Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

No, it wasn't the wrong answer. It's not the sort of objection a DM should change plans for. But it's also not indicative of a "dictatorial style."

Now, you may ask how I can say "It's not the sort of objection a DM should change plans for." I could answer that by going back into gaming philosophy, about how that's the sort of thing the DM is expected to change, about how players need to buy into the world the DM's created. But we've had page after page after page of that.

So let me instead offer you a practical reason why the DM shouldn't acquiesce to that sort of complaint:

You said that you "accidentally" put the manticore there. If it hadn't been an accident, if there was a plot-centric reason for it being there, you wouldn't have changed it then, right?

Well, if you start making that sort of decision based on whether something is plot-centric, you've just informed everyone at the table whether a monster is "important" or not. "Okay, Hussar changed it to a wyvern last time but not this time? There must be a plot-related reason for it."

Sure, it's OOC vs. IC knowledge. Doesn't matter. It can way too easily influence behavior, and it can also ruin the pacing of the story. Even if that particular player doesn't mind being spoiled, perhaps the other players do.

That is why you only retcon or make last-minute changes for serious objections: Not because "What the DM says goes no matter what!" but because, even if you're willing to do it for minor ones, it's potentially more detrimental to the enjoyment of the game than it is helpful.

Just for the sake of clarity, let me explain my basic position.

There's a bare minimum of trust currency--to use GMfPG's term--that I always offer my DMs, and that I assume/demand from my players. If this basic bare-bones level isn't met, then as a player, I'll politely leave the game; and as a DM, I'll politely raise the idea that the player isn't a good fit.

But I will never, ever, play in or run an ongoing game without that bare minimum.

The decision of what monsters to use and where to place them falls below that bare minimum threshold. I may not always like or agree with the DM's decisions on such matters, but I won't challenge them (at least during the game). So for me, I consider it inappropriate for a player to interrupt a game with that sort of concern, unless there's a very good reason. (And by "very good," I mean things like, "Can we not face giant spiders, please? I have severe arachnophobia.")

Nebulous

Legend
And, just another thing, I always thought rules lawyering was when you took a rule and bent the rule to your advantage, either through byzantine definitions or twisting the intent of the rules. How is being 100% right being a rules lawyer? It's not like he was mistaken here. Manticores really ARE desert dwelling monsters. He wasn't wrong here. Inflexible? Sure, but, not wrong.

My take on what you said (and i could be wrong) was that BECAUSE the manticore was encountered in the wrong terrain as expressly stated in the Monster Manual, he was arguing that it should not have been encountered period. That to me sounds like trying to manipulate your decision for an encounter based on two words of text from a rulebook.

This isn't even a "rule", it's like an argument about throwaway flavor text and trying to build a case for it.

BUT...you liked the player and this was just a one-off random thing, not like some ongoing headbutting. So water under the bridge....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

And, just another thing, I always thought rules lawyering was when you took a rule and bent the rule to your advantage, either through byzantine definitions or twisting the intent of the rules. How is being 100% right being a rules lawyer? It's not like he was mistaken here. Manticores really ARE desert dwelling monsters. He wasn't wrong here. Inflexible? Sure, but, not wrong.

Out of curiosity on the 100% right thing: Celebrim claims that the 1993 Monstrous Manual has Manticores listed as Terrain: Any. Were you running this before the MM came out, and if so, was the terrain different in the Monstrous Compendium? I no longer own either so I'm curious how you verified the "Terrain: Desert" claim in this case.

Hussar

Legend
Out of curiosity on the 100% right thing: Celebrim claims that the 1993 Monstrous Manual has Manticores listed as Terrain: Any. Were you running this before the MM came out, and if so, was the terrain different in the Monstrous Compendium? I no longer own either so I'm curious how you verified the "Terrain: Desert" claim in this case.

Huh, would you look at that. :D Guess that's what happens when you go from memory. :D 1e MM says the same thing too. LOL.

Celebrim

Legend
Funnily enough, at the time, I acted exactly as Celebrim or Sancrosanct or Mistwell have advocated - I told the player that, no, it's my game, and there's really a manticore here, deal with is.

That was the wrong answer in this case.

So, a couple of points. First, my first post on this thread was to note that I found the original flow chart far too simple, because it didn't take into account a lot of factors that could sway how you rule on a particular point. Some of the factors that I noted were:

"Are you in play or between sessions?"
"Are you the DM?"
"Do your player's trust you yet?"
"Will a player's PC or player be significantly inconvenienced by the rule change?"
"Is the life of a PC at stake?"
"Does everyone at the table agree that rule is unclear?"
"Does everyone at the table agree that your new rule is clear, balanced, and playable?"
"Is one of the players that is objecting normally an insufferable rules lawyer?"

The ideal situation is that players trust you and find that you are doing what they would have done themselves in your shoes. The ideal situation is that everything goes smoothly, you don't make mistakes, everyone has a good time, and everyone is content. Of course, in reality, you'll make mistakes, you'll find yourself in uncharted territory rules wise, you'll forget the fictional positioning, the player's will feel uncomfortable with a rule that you make either intentionally or because you forgot some detail of the rules, players get bored, and some of your players will be prone to being moody. And you have to be able to deal with all of that gracefully as possible, which isn't easy.

As a DM, you are as many have said: "first among equals". You are more than that. You are an elected judge that the other players have invested with the authority to make ruling, conditionally on the expectation that you'll be just and fair the vast majority of the time. You are a referee. You are the games secret keeper and as such inevitably its foremost architect. You are the voice and mind of the opposition. You are every single NPC in the game. You are the player at the table with the hardest job, the most pressure, and almost inevitably the most time invested in the game (and at many tables, the most money). As such, you are also the player whose role calls for the most skill and also the player that will make 90% of the mistakes that are to be made and the player most likely to ruin a session in most groups (and if you aren't the player most likely to ruin a session, the player that is is probably such a jerk that your best bet is to toss him).

What this means is that because the DM is appointed to this role, and because the role is hard, and because everyone's enjoyment depends on the DM, if you are player you have an obligation to assist the DM in every way you can. And foremost, this means don't be a dick. Because the last thing the DM needs is a player being a dick. And it means that often you should pretty much keep silence if the alternative is a table argument. By all means, help the DM remember the rules and the current fictional positioning. I appreciate that as a DM. I can't keep all the rules straight and I lose track of the fictional positioning all the time. Anyone actually trying to assist me in those things is more than welcome to it.

But there is a big difference between trying to help your DM and arguing with him. I've been playing for 30+ years, had 10+ DMs, and 5 or 6 groups of players, and I've never once seen any player actually argue with a DM except to obtain some sort of advantage. The general gist of all of those arguments is, "Hold on, you messed up. I'm taking over the DM's chair for a while, and I'm going to make the rulings." If that happens, I've got very little sympathy for the player. I've been a player. Sometimes the DM screws you. I can't think of any time it was actually malicious, though I can recall early in 3e a DM just blatantly getting a rule wrong (grappling or some such), and refuses to listen to me. So I shut and finished the encounter with rulings that weren't by the book unintentionally, because it wasn't worth arguing about. Maybe if it was definitely going to end in a dead PC, I would have tried more than once to correct the DM. But I don't intend to be 'that player'.

You Hussar didn't make a mistake in your ruling. There are a lot of reasons why you were right, which I'm not going to list again because I've already listed a bunch of them - and I could list a lot more.

I could have just as easily said, "Oh, wait, the sun was in your eyes. Did I say manticore? I meant wyvern (or chimera, or any number of other honking big flying beasties), roll for intiative." And the argument would have been over, everyone at the table would have been happy and it would have made zero difference to the game.

You could have, but you would have been wrong to do so IMO. One reason I'm confident of that is that your reasoning that you are wrong is based on a counter-factual. You can't really know what would have happened had you switched the manticore for a wyvern because that player complained. Acting as if that imaginary alternate time-line is solid evidence of something is to make a logical mistake. You know what did happen; there was an argument. But that doesn't mean that if you'd done something else there wouldn't have been an argument. With a player like that, you probably would have had arguments regardless, and it's not at all clear that backing down would have reduced the number you had. Probably quite the contrary.

What you probably didn't do is handle the challenge as gracefully as you could have, but I can only speculate about that. That particular challenge should send up red flags like crazy, because it really is trivial. And the fact that is trivial doesn't make it better for you to compromise; it makes it worse. If the guy was legitimately arguing a point where his character's life was at stake, and the point really is debatable and you can see the other side of the argument that is when you want to be as reasonable and flexible as possible. If the guy is being a tedious rules lawyer - and this is clearly tedious rules layering - you have to deal with that in a completely different way. The red flag is going up because if a guy is willing to provoke a table argument over something this trivial, he'll provoke it over everything. A general gameplan might be:

a) Deflect with humor. I'm only half joking about: "This one won an all expense vacation on Wheel of Fortune" or "This one is on his way to see a man about a horse.", being a good first answer.
b) If he doesn't laugh and shrug but persists, remind him gently to play his character, and that his character might not actually know anything about the ecology of manticores.
c) If he doesn't seem to know how to play his character, coach him how to play his character, and suggest paths for acquiring that knowledge in game.
d) If he's still being a tedious rules lawyer, out maneuver him as a lawyer. In particular, 'favored/terrain' isn't a binding contract that the monster always appears in that terrain and that is spelled out in the text. In this case, out maneuver him should have been pretty easy.
e) If he persists in arguing, you've got problem case. Explain to him again as gently as you can the style of play you expect from a player and why. If that doesn't work, stand on your authority as a DM, make up a fiction that justifies the manticore on the spot if you need one, and tell the player really if he'd rather run the game, then the group should take a vote regarding who the DM should be. Because really, that is what now is at stake. It's not at this point just your ability to keep this player happy, but the group asked you to be the DM and now someone thinks he can run the game better than you can. If the group agrees, it probably is a sign you've not been doing a very good job and you probably should stand down. If he group doesn't agree, then problem player is no longer making this an 'us against the DM' contest, and you can show the group the fiction that justifies the manticore. That's subversive and I don't think I've ever had to take things that far, but mostly because most of the time I really already have a fiction explaining things because I do like to plan ahead.
f) Regardless of what happens, if the player argues at all, take the player aside after the session and talk to them privately about their concerns and try to figure out why they were willing to argue over something this ridiculous, and explain to them clearly again why you ruled as you did and further why you think as a DM it is necessary to be allowed to place monsters as you see fit.

Now there are probably special circumstances were I wouldn't do that, and I'd handle it some other way. But if you aren't even allowed by a player to make reasonable monster placement in the setting, trust me, it isn't you at fault and acting like it is you won't make it better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abraxas

Explorer
I was curious about this also
1E - "They range in all climes, although they enjoy warm places more than cold"
2E - Monstrous compendium (loose leaf and bound edition) - "Manticores are found in any climate but prefer warm lands to cool ones"
3E - "Warm and temperate land and underground"
3.5E - "Warm marshes"

Desert is never mentioned.

Celebrim

Legend
No, it wasn't the wrong answer. It's not the sort of objection a DM should change plans for. But it's also not indicative of a "dictatorial style."

Now, you may ask how I can say "It's not the sort of objection a DM should change plans for." I could answer that by going back into gaming philosophy, about how that's the sort of thing the DM is expected to change, about how players need to buy into the world the DM's created. But we've had page after page after page of that.

So let me instead offer you a practical reason why the DM shouldn't acquiesce to that sort of complaint:

You said that you "accidentally" put the manticore there. If it hadn't been an accident, if there was a plot-centric reason for it being there, you wouldn't have changed it then, right?

Well, if you start making that sort of decision based on whether something is plot-centric, you've just informed everyone at the table whether a monster is "important" or not. "Okay, Hussar changed it to a wyvern last time but not this time? There must be a plot-related reason for it."

Sure, it's OOC vs. IC knowledge. Doesn't matter. It can way too easily influence behavior, and it can also ruin the pacing of the story. Even if that particular player doesn't mind being spoiled, perhaps the other players do.

That is why you only retcon or make last-minute changes for serious objections: Not because "What the DM says goes no matter what!" but because, even if you're willing to do it for minor ones, it's potentially more detrimental to the enjoyment of the game than it is helpful.

Trust mouse. Mouse is good. Mouse is wise.

pemerton

Legend
stop making up strawmen arguments to support your position, and actually address what is being said."
OK.

I believe my posts in this thread have been addressing what is being said, but for the sake of maximum clarity I will address the following quotes:

Not to be a killjoy, but, "makes sense" to who?
The DM. That's really the only person who needs to know how the rules work. He or she is the one running the game, not the players.
That is a statement of playstyle that I, personally, do not agree with - in the sense that that is not how I prefer to run games, and not how I prefer games I play in to be run.

I don't think the GM is the only one who needs to know how the rules work. When I referee an RPG I expect the players to know how the rules work and engage with them. If there are action economy rules, I want the players to use them - I don't want the job of shepherding them through their turns.

If there are rules about PC building, I want the players to use them - I am happy to give a player advice around PC building, but I don't want to be the one who takes responsibility for building the character who has to be that player's vehicle through many gaming sessions.

If there are rules around resource acquisition and recovery that are relevant to decisions about pacing, resource expenditure, etc, I want the players to use them. In the context of 4e this means making sensible decisions about the use of daily powers, action points, healing surges etc. In other systems these rules can take other forms: eg in classic D&D this is mostly about managing spells and hit points; in Rolemaster it is mostly about managing spell points; etc.

I also don't agree that "makes sense to the GM" is the right way to state the litmus test. For me, the test is "makes sense to the table", and particularly to the player concerned. I can give an example from actual play that illustrates what I mean (I'll flag [MENTION=6668292]JamesonCourage[/MENTION] here, because he likes it (or maybe he groans) when I pull this example out).

The player of the dwarf fighter-cleric wanted to reforge Whelm, his dwarven thrower (a one-handed hammer) as Overwhelm, a mordenkraad (a honking great two-handed hammer). He had the dwarven smiths of the town ready to help him out, as well as the party invoker-wizard. This was resolved as a simple skill challenge - 4 checks before 3 failures. There were some successful checks - Dungeoneering from the fighter-cleric (the closest that 4e has to an engineering skill) to supervise the firing up of the forges, Arcana from the invoker-wizard to handle the magical energies, Diplomacy from the fighter-cleric to keep the dwarven artisans calm and on task as the magical forces in the forges built to a near-overwhelming level. One more successful check was required. The player of the fighter-cleric decided that his PC would pray to Moradin, and made a Religion check, which failed. Moradin had not deserted the PC, but wasn't going to hand him his reforged hammer on a platter either!

At this point the player looks over his character sheet to see what else might be brought to bear, and fastens on his best skill - Endurance. I'm describing how the arcane energies are building up in the forge, making it hard for the artisans to hold the hammer down with their tongs and work its metal into shape. So the player says "I want to put my hands into the forge and hold Whelm down so the artisans can work it properly." The idea that this might happen hasn't crossed my mind, but then I think about the character - he is a mid-paragon fighter-warpriest of Moradin, already established in the fiction as the toughest dwarven cleric and warrior around, and his Endurance is about as good as you can get for a character of his level. Why can't he shove his hands into the forge and try and wrest control of the hammer despite the near-overpowering arcane forces?

So I set the DC (a Hard level-appropriate DC), and the player rolled, and made it, and Whelm was reforged as Overwhelm. The PC's hands were burned and took a week to recover (with some treatment by the invoker-wizard using Remove Affliction powered by some Fundamental Ice), which sucked up the rest of his downtime. But the player got what he wanted, and in the process also helped establish the broader tone for the campaign, setting the scene for more high-magic stuff in upper paragon and epic.

This is the sort of thing I, at least, have in mind when I talk about a "player-driven" game, or "making sense to the table", as contrasting with "makes sense to the GM". On this occasion (and not only this occasion) I was led by the player, not vice versa. Which is what I want in my game.

#1 Rule: No reasonable request should be unreasonably declined.
This invites the question - What counts as a reasonable request? Is it reasonable that a mid-paragon PC can, in virtue of his superlative Endurance bonus, be so preternaturally tough that he can do what no human being could do, and hold down a magical hammer in a super-heated arcane forge so that the artisans can rend it into the shape they want?

Different people will have different views on that, influenced by their own preferred fantasy fiction, their own interpretation of the rules, their own sense of what is cool and what is over-the-top gonzo, etc.

I don't think the GM's view on these issues is the fulcrum around which the game turns. Other participants have views that are just as important - especially when it comes to conceiving of their PCs - and the GM is a legitimate audience for those views just as the GM can legitimately express his/her view to the players. In a fairly traditional game of the sort that I run the GM has the job of chairing the discussion and mediating the group towards a consensus, but that is a procedural role. On the issue of substance the GM is first and foremost another voice at the table, not the dominant voice. The GM has something like a casting vote - if in doubt, follow the GM's lead - but I don't find that comes up all that often.

Upthread some posters have talked about the game getting bogged down in rules debates. But when what is at stake is the capabilities of a player character, and what is or is not a feasible action declaration for that character, I don't see this as getting "bogged down". Working out these things - the content of the shared fiction, and its possible implications - is one part of playing the game. If it takes five minutes of discussion to get everyone on the same page as to what the situation is, how the PC is going to engage it, and what the consequences might be, from my point of view that is time well-spent.

I did say the game is the DM's because it's the DM who is running it. It also states this directly in the rulebooks (supposedly you're super into following the rules, right?) that this is the case, and while I don't have the 3e or 4e book in front of me, I know it's been that way for at least the first 25 years of the game--not some afterthought.

<snip>

the intended style of play is something that isn't in dispute because it's explicitly defined for us.
Also, there's some pretty significant historical precedence that shows that the game can easily be played this way.
Gygax also said that the aim of play, for players, is to cultivate player skill. But, at least judging from these boards as well as the tone of the material that WotC has been publishing for the last 15 years, only a minority of contemporary D&D players play in that Gygaxian style.

Gygax certainly never says anything about the importance of the GM's story. In Gygaxian play, the function of the fiction is to be part of the arena in which the players prove their skill ("Are there doors? Cool, we listen at them." "Ear seekers!" "Ah, but we have ear-trumpets with wire mesh to protect our ears!"). There is no sense or suggestion that the function of the fiction is to be, or to yield, a cool story.

Gygax does emphasise the role of the GM in adjudicating fictional positioning and its consequences. I think he tends to underestimate the difficulty of this in a high fantasy game, in which crazy magical stuff is part-and-parcel of what is expected. The reforging of Whelm is an example of this; in classic D&D it mostly arises in disputes about the capabilities of spells. If the GM tries to be too unilateral in respect of the limits of the fantastic in the campaign, I think there is a risk of losing the players. At least based on my experience, I think it is preferable to proceed by way of table consensus.

(An alternative is to replace "rulings" with the sort of petifogging detail found in the AD&D and 3E fireball spells, which contrasts so unfavourably, in my view, with the clean presentations of original D&D, Moldvay Basic and 4e. Simply list the spell as doing fire damage, and leave it to adjudication - "rulings" - to work out what damage that might do to gold, paper, ships etc.)

let me instead offer you a practical reason why the DM shouldn't acquiesce to that sort of complaint:

Sure, it's OOC vs. IC knowledge. Doesn't matter. It can way too easily influence behavior
This may be a reason that would have been important for you. That doesn't mean that it is a good reason for everyone else.

For instance, I tend to prefer that my players distinguish between "mere colour" and "important stuff". So I don't mind signalling to them the difference between the two. More generally, I tend to prefer that the players draw upon OOC knowledge to influence their choices for their PCs. In the Over the Edge rulebook, Jonathan Tweet and Robin Laws present differing views on and approaches to this - my general play preference these days is closer to Laws than Tweet.

Also, if I intended a manticore to be important, but then for some reason - including perhaps a terrain error - change it to a wyvern instead, that needn't be a big deal. It's unlikely that it was crucial to my conception of what was "important" about the encounter that it be a manticore rather than a wyvern.

Just for the sake of clarity, let me explain my basic position.

There's a bare minimum of trust currency--to use GMfPG's term--that I always offer my DMs

<snip>

The decision of what monsters to use and where to place them falls below that bare minimum threshold. I may not always like or agree with the DM's decisions on such matters, but I won't challenge them (at least during the game).
In my view this is running together two issues.

There is the issue of "table manners" - under what circumstances is it polite to query a GM's decision about some facet of the game, be that a decision about encounter framing or an adjudication of an action declaration or whatever. [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] hasn't suggested that his player was particularly rude or out of line, and I have no independent handle on what the standard of courtesy was that prevailed at Hussar's table at the time - so on this issue I pass no judgement.

Then there is what I take to be the real point Hussar is making - that "what made sense to the GM" was, in this example, not the same as "what is the best decision for the game" or "what is the decision that the GM should have made".

On this second issue I agree with Hussar.

Remove ads

Remove ads