• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Walking Town Ya or Na?

animal chubs

First Post
Im making a session after our current DM finishes our current quest line. And i have most of the town, its a democracy based village with a few hundred people in it. 5 gnomes run the Watch, they merge with 'iron golems' and control about 15 Animated armors and 4 shield guardians. (not that op when the town is shrouded with Anti- magic field >>) anyway getting to much into it.

i was thinking of puting it on medium-ish legs and having it walk or even crawl every where but i dont know if thats even a thing to have the whole town walk. it doesnt seem op or strange that this could happen. The idea is that it looks for resources to mine and once it finds them it stays there for years until they are low or depleted. or by chance if the town is taken over or just in too much danger, it will move.

Tell me whats up and if this idea it good or bad. but give me a few reasons, dont just say its bad then leave bhahaha

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think that's an awesome idea.

I'll point out that they're going to have a lot of conflict with other towns when they come close enough to poach their resources. Fun options for politics, diplomacy or battle there.

Why not? Seems pretty cool thematically. My players have just found a nomadic city state that follows a titan around a desert because its steps cause crops and trees to come out of the ground.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I like it a lot. I have a teleporting university in my game, and I think a walking town is somewhat similar. The walking town idea creates some interesting possibilities for trade. What happens to the trade routes established or the old town? How does the new location establish new trade routes? Since fields don't walk, how does the town feed itself at the new location until the first new crops come in? How do other towns near the new location react? A whole host of cool stuff can come from answering these questions.

animal chubs

First Post
cool, thanks alot! yeah, I'm still working on a lot of the little things. Quests and such right now, but trade isn't an issues as of now but when it moves to a new spot it will have to make new connections. But it trades mostly with neverwinter Using an air ship. but idk what the state is of that town right now. our current DM hasnt gotten us there. so i guess for now trade is normal. I think the biggest thing about my dming is that i want everyone in town to have names and pretty much be able to be friends or enemys with. just gonna use a random npc gen for that i guess and tweak them.

Nebulous

Legend
Im making a session after our current DM finishes our current quest line. And i have most of the town, its a democracy based village with a few hundred people in it. 5 gnomes run the Watch, they merge with 'iron golems' and control about 15 Animated armors and 4 shield guardians. (not that op when the town is shrouded with Anti- magic field >>) anyway getting to much into it.

i was thinking of puting it on medium-ish legs and having it walk or even crawl every where but i dont know if thats even a thing to have the whole town walk. it doesnt seem op or strange that this could happen. The idea is that it looks for resources to mine and once it finds them it stays there for years until they are low or depleted. or by chance if the town is taken over or just in too much danger, it will move.

Tell me whats up and if this idea it good or bad. but give me a few reasons, dont just say its bad then leave bhahaha
\

Yeah, why not. It's fantasy and high magic, you can do anything. Besides, Baba Yaga set the precedent :)

0vXXakW.jpg

LostSoul

Adventurer
That's cool.

I originally thought of a giant, treaded, robotic monstrosity from another time that just wanders about based on its ancient (and corrupt) programming. What happens if this nuclear-powered war-machine "wakes up"? Probably nothing good.

On the back of a dragon turtle could be interesting as well, as a more traditional route.

Anyway, I think it's a good campaign hook. It allows you to explore various environments without having to force it - one adventure can be in the desert, the next in the mountains, the next in the jungle. You can keep the PCs attached to one town the whole time, which helps the players form relationships with the NPCs, keeps the workload down, and gives the PCs a good opportunity to make and see lasting changes as they adventure.

I think its pretty brilliant as well and very gnome-ey. Allows for the nomadic culture and mineral harvesting-based economy you've conceived. Engineering-wise, it would likely be a boon in geographical locations prone to flooding and earthquakes. It would be interesting to see the conflict that comes out of these guys moving in on another community's territory, hostilities ensuing, and then a massive flood or earthquake turns the situation on its head as the earth-anchored community is in imminent deadly peril and in need of aid.

Remove ads