• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wall Effects

Aegir

First Post
bardolph said:
Does this mean that a 6' tall character has his head sticking out above the one-square-high wall?

There is no official ruling as to how much distance a square is, but going by 3.x where 1 square = 5', then unless you're a dwarf/halfling/gnome, it would seem so.

djdaidouji

First Post
Aegir said:
There is no official ruling as to how much distance a square is, but going by 3.x where 1 square = 5', then unless you're a dwarf/halfling/gnome, it would seem so.
I don't have a source page, but I do remember reading that a square usually means 5'. I believe it is in the DMG, around the encounter building areas. They just decided to get rid of the 5',10',15',20 squares and changed them to 1,2,3,4, but they're still 5 feet.

That being said, I would rule that a 6' character behind a wall could very easily bend/duck so they're completely covered. When fighting, you generally bend your legs or lower yourself somewhat anyway.

Last edited:

webrunner

First Post
Contents May Vary said:
Assuming you could, you couldn't actually *use* it as a staircase or bridge, because the rules for Wall of Ice say that you can't enter a wall square.
But you wouldn't be entering the wall square, you'd be entering the square directly above it

Hmm, True.

But it also says that the Wall "Prevents Movement". I'm not sure if that means that you can't climb over the wall, but I can't see the point in saying it otherwise.

Although if that were the case, what would be the point of making the wall taller?

"Prevents Movement" isn't clearly defined. It could just mean the same thing as "cannot enter a square containing a wall".

Ziana

First Post
The universe isn't composed of discrete 5' cubes, even though it may often seem that way.

Creating a ramp or stairs seems reasonable, per the DM's discretion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads