• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wall of Force Questions 2

Korgan26

First Post
A wall of force spell creates an invisible wall of force. The wall cannot move, it is immune to damage of all kinds, and it is unaffected by most spells, including dispel magic. However, disintegrate immediately destroys it, as does a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or a mage's disjunction spell. Breath weapons and spells cannot pass through the wall in either direction, although dimension door, teleport, and similar effects can bypass the barrier. It blocks ethereal creatures as well as material ones (though ethereal creatures can usually get around the wall by floating under or over it through material floors and ceilings). Gaze attacks can operate through a wall of force.
The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10- foot square per level. The wall must be continuous and unbroken when formed. If its surface is broken by any object or creature, the spell fails.
Wall of force can be made permanent with a permanency spell.
Material Component: A pinch of powder made from a clear gem

Now can the spell be formed into a hemisphere? or does the ground break the unbroken part of the spell. (if it can't be formed into a hemisphere only a sphere)

And does it have to cover its max area or can it be adjusted?
Thanks
Z

isoChron

First Post
Well, with the hemispherical version it was a common tactic to trap the worst monster under the wall of force (no safe !!!) and set the dome under fire through a small slit just above the ground. (Or fill with gases or acid fog..... you got the idea).
This was truly broken in respect to the higher level spell force cage. No one ever casted force cage if the cheaper wall of force could do the same.
Wall of Force is good enough as is ! Try casting it in front of an ancient diving dragon ! He will crush into the wall, and drop to the ground because he can't see the wall and even if he can't evade it because of his bad maneuverability.
That's a hard punch for a diving dragon.

I'm really glad that the hemisperical and sperical version doesn't exist anymore.

As Ravenard pointed out the size of the vertical wall is very variable.
BYE

iwatt

First Post
isoChron said:
Try casting it in front of an ancient diving dragon ! He will crush into the wall, and drop to the ground because he can't see the wall and even if he can't evade it because of his bad maneuverability.
That's a hard punch for a diving dragon.
BYE

What's the rule for crashing damagae. I'd use something out of d20 Modern, but I was wondering if anything for DnD exists.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I would be inclined to base it off of falling damage. Incidentally,

Q. What's the last thing to go through a dragon's mind when it crashes into your wall of force?

A. Its butt

Daniel

Norfleet

First Post
Forget about hemispheres and cages: Create walls of force with widths or heights of a single molecule, or, if permitted, in meshes of monofilament. Watch as somebody runs into one, and is cut in half or diced into cubes as a result. By the rules, it's entirely permissible, and you can create some impressively long or tall structures when one of your dimensions is collapsed into something infinitesimal.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Pielorinho said:
Q. What's the last thing to go through a dragon's mind when it crashes into your wall of force?

Correct answer: at least twelve distinct, viable plans by which to inflict commensurate suffering not only on teh puny mage responsible, but on a significant percentage of his entire species. :D

Norfleet said:
Forget about hemispheres and cages: Create walls of force with widths or heights of a single molecule, or, if permitted, in meshes of monofilament. Watch as somebody runs into one, and is cut in half or diced into cubes as a result. By the rules, it's entirely permissible, and you can create some impressively long or tall structures when one of your dimensions is collapsed into something infinitesimal.

No, Norfleet, it is not permissible and legal by the rules. The rules, you see, presuppose a medieval (or at best, renaissance) level of knowledge.

And no scholar of those ages would have any compehension of monofilaments. Pre-renaissance, I doubt anyonw would have any conception of a molecule either.

In fact, even post-renaissance, with actual magic and the whole "earth/air/fire/water" conceptualisation of the elements fully vindicated by the existance of elemental planes of those same natures ... I sincerely doubt our modern concepts of molecular structure would EVER come about.

Your suggetion, to me, is metagaming of the worst sort, and if I were a DM of a game in which you treid that, trust me, you'd still be smarting from the resulting penalty, for the next several sessions.

It's also, IMO, the rightfully reviled sort of rules-lawyering that has for so long given a bad name to ANYone who argues from a Rules-as-written stance for any reason.

BAH.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads